Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what video camera to get ?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a video cam for watching paranormal activity ie ufos infred .
    Is there any one that is recommended? Also i heard you can see ufo's during the day if you switch on night vision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sony is the brand to get IMO. they have a lot of cameras that will operate at 0 Lux, look out for Sony Night Shot, and Super Night Shot tags.

Cameras with built in 40, 60 or 80 GB memory are also handy, they use less juice then tapes and can record for a much longer time. (plus you don't need to buy tapes) and they are near silent in operation and light.

You can get some nice bigger battery packs for cameras on ebay.

You should IMO consider additional night vision aid. Some of the Hi8 cameras have powerful night vision and some teams prefer them. You can pick up an IR booster, or make one (very simple) or better still get a 220v one for stationary work.

The night vision on my Sony is good , but the range of the IRs is not good. So if needs be I back it up with additional light.

also I messed around with an Archos media recorder. I bought a security camera with built in night vision for €20 and hooked it up to the archos, the leads match that of a standard video recorder (composite).Its something else that will work and if you have an Archos or a similar media recorder this type of 12V camera is something to play with and cheap.

Also note if you plan to record audio on the archos its not great, the sound of the mechanism is annoying when you try to Analise is afterward. For plain old audio recording a external mic (€5) with a 2M lead is recommended (or just use a separate recorder.

but for out of the box solutions consider a Sony and think along the lines of

0 Lux
    Weight
    Night vision working radius (consider increasing this)
    Battery Life
    Flexibility (the archos unit would not score highly on this front)
    Price (the Hi8s score well here)

Advertisement