Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It'd be a awful waste of space if it didn't. Milky Way has 400 billion stars (plus or minus 200 billion :)) Probably half has planets.

Also if we were so damn important (God and all that), shouldn't earth be in the centre of the galaxy instead of in the suburbs?
    mw.jpg

Nice poll btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

I am sure it does! It's just a different form of life we don't have a clue about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pino76

biko wrote: »
    It'd be a awful waste of space if it didn't.

Amen ("Contact"? ;-) )
    biko wrote: »
    Also if we were so damn important (God and all that), shouldn't earth be in the centre of the galaxy instead of in the suburbs?

I absolutely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pino76 wrote: »
    Amen ("Contact"? ;-) )
    Indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Well, we know that intelligent life form can evolve given the right conditions. Therefore we know that the probability for such an event is not zero. Whilst this probability may be very small indeed, when you consider the amount of stars in our galaxy alone (and the increasing number of exoplanets being discovered) then you have to suppose that this probability approaches one quite rapidly.

I have no doubt that there are intelligent lifeforms out there. Being limited by the speed of light is a bit crap though as communicating with them would be sloooow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm?lss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd say yes, of course there is. Will we ever see/meet it? Probably not. Is it intelligent? Who knows...

The Drake Equation is an interesting bit of work you may find helpful.

Advertisement