Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a laptop

Options
  • 15-02-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any recommendations for a new laptop? It would only be used for the internet mainly. Maybe word ad excel too. Nothing too tough anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

the Dell Latitude 1525 I think is a good enough laptop I think and cheap. Look around for the reviews on the web before you do anything. There are loads of sites that objectively review laptops.

Excel and Word are part of the Microsoft Office Suite of products and will not come with the laptop. they will have to be purchased separately. They are not cheap either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

the Dell Latitude 1525 I think is a good enough laptop I think and cheap. Look around for the reviews on the web before you do anything. There are loads of sites that objectively review laptops.

Excel and Word are part of the Microsoft Office Suite of products and will not come with the laptop. they will have to be purchased separately. They are not cheap either.

I'm presuming you mean Inspiron 1525? And as for office, you could download open office for free, very capable alternative and free.
    OP, Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Haven't really got a budget. My mother is going getting one and she wants to know what kind. I have a Dell, and a HP one in work that I use at home for messin with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

HP 550 is a hard to beat at approx E350 from Dabs.ie:

# Processor - Intel Celeron M 550 / 2 GHz
    # RAM - 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz ( 1 x 1 GB )
    # Hard Drive - 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    # Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
    # Screen - 15.4' TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - BrightView
    # Optical Drive - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM with LightScribe Technology

Also recommend Open Office, or if you need compatibility with Office 2007, IBM Lotus Symphony which is also free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stugots wrote: »
    HP 550 is a hard to beat at approx E350 from Dabs.ie:

# Processor - Intel Celeron M 550 / 2 GHz
    # RAM - 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz ( 1 x 1 GB )
    # Hard Drive - 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    # Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
    # Screen - 15.4' TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - BrightView
    # Optical Drive - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM with LightScribe Technology

Also recommend Open Office, or if you need compatibility with Office 2007, IBM Lotus Symphony which is also free.

Wouldn't touch that machine with a barge pole, underpowered for vista, ancient celeron M processor, only 1Gb of RAM and 160Gb of HD is poor these days. I'd be buying at least, dual core, 2 Gb of RAM and 160GB+ of HD. That should easily be achievable for ~400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wouldn't touch that machine with a barge pole, underpowered for vista, ancient celeron M processor, only 1Gb of RAM and 160Gb of HD is poor these days. I'd be buying at least, dual core, 2 Gb of RAM and 160GB+ of HD. That should easily be achievable for ~400.

+1 that's an exceptionally poor spec for Vista. It will crawl along and frustrate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    +1 that's an exceptionally poor spec for Vista. It will crawl along and frustrate you.

Can't say that I've had any problems with performance, but not particularly stressing it either. Plays DivX fine, runs multiple instances of Open Office apps fine. Not intending to use it for gaming - but then I suspect roosterman's mother isn't either. I'd be interested to see a link to anything significantly better for less 400.....

Advertisement