Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sony 'Netbooks' In Stock at Peats.

Options
  • 15-02-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Not only ugly-totally skewed horizontally -like reading an envelope -but RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.1099 for the basic model(1.2 GHz) and 1599(?) for the deluxe(1.6GHz)Its like they(Sony) havent read the price list of their competitors or something!!!Even at the same price as an NC10 Id have no interest ,at these prices ,a complete joke ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well it's Sony, so you pay a little extra for the Sony style ;)

Any links or pictures, Sony were always great at making small devices with lots of features

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

When I first heard about these and the proposed specs I thought Sony had lost the plot. But reading the specs below it doesn't seem to bad:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5FBW&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,4294951827

GPS, built in 3G modem, wireless N, 2GB Ram (as opposed to 1GB in most machines), 1600 x 768 resolution.

It still should be a little cheaper than it is, but it's not as scandelous as I first thought.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When I first heard about these and the proposed specs I thought Sony had lost the plot. But reading the specs below it doesn't seem to bad:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5FBW&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,4294951827

GPS, built in 3G modem, wireless N, 2GB Ram (as opposed to 1GB in most machines), 1600 x 768 resolution.

It still should be a little cheaper than it is, but it's not as scandelous as I first thought.

But in fairness, gps receivers are incredibly small and cheap these days with most mid range phones having it built in. 2Gb of RAM adds about €5 worth of production cost, and that crazy resolution is a bit mad. Those spes definitely do not justify the price, even the online price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

But in fairness, gps receivers are incredibly small and cheap these days with most mid range phones having it built in. 2Gb of RAM adds about €5 worth of production cost, and that crazy resolution is a bit mad. Those spes definitely do not justify the price, even the online price.
    And the stupid obsolete mouse toggle button in the keyboard that dissapeared almost 10 years is reintroduced again on these machines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And the stupid obsolete mouse toggle button in the keyboard that dissapeared almost 10 years is reintroduced again on these machines.

Yeah i know, i can see their logic i suppose, take out the track pad and you lose all that space, but having that mouse "nipple" as a solution is just nuts, touch screen ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yeah i know, i can see their logic i suppose, take out the track pad and you lose all that space, but having that mouse "nipple" as a solution is just nuts, touch screen ftw
    They will also give pixle etch after time, anyone with an old Dell Latitude / Inspiron would tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Either a trackpad or touch screen. I think however when you take away the trackpad like Sony have done, it creates a stupid resolution.

The spec in no way warrants the expected crazy price from Sony either.

I never noticed that it didn't have a trackpad. I couldn't use one of those 'nipples'. So overpriced and without a trackpad
    what the hell were Sony thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You could buy an NC10 in each colour for the same price.

• Advertisement

I never noticed that it didn't have a trackpad. I couldn't use one of those 'nipples'. So overpriced and without a trackpad
    what the hell were Sony thinking?

I read somewhere that it was aimed at the lady folk among us, something that'd fit in a handbag, compromising usability for style etc. They have failed imo, failed horribly. Who's going to spend a grand on an underpowered too small netbook?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

well it's Sony, so you pay a little extra for the Sony style ;)
    I honestly don't think sony laptops are stylish, they appear to me to be of poor build quality, have certain idiotic design ideas sometimes (Took me a while to figure out a new sony laptop I was asked to setup had its power button on the right hand side hinge :confused:), also imo there are much better brands out there which are stylish enough and work out cheaper, Toshiba, Dell etc are decent machines

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thing about Sony is they can charge whatever they like and they will still have people who want to buy it. Sony products are always more expensive then their counterparts. Before ASUS invented the EEE pc, Sony were selling ultra portable pcs for well over 1000.

This is the same for Apple.

The companies know that their brand is the most recognized and they don't have to try to put as much effort into their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Had a look at one of these today. Really tiny yoke. 600g which is almost half the size of other netbooks. But the price is really going to count against them

Would love one because of the size and it looks like nothing else... but the price is way too high

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Is the 3G module hobbled in some way, or fully unlocked? I was under the impression it was locked to a particular vendor or 'non-standard' in that annoying quirky manner Sony have of going about things..

Could I shove a 3 dongle SIM into this and get going online?

Remember there's the joy of VAT to contemplate, when comparing to online vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Amalgam wrote: »
    Is the 3G module hobbled in some way, or fully unlocked? I was under the impression it was locked to a particular vendor or 'non-standard' in that annoying quirky manner Sony have of going about things..

Remember there's the joy of VAT to contemplate, when comparing to online vendors.

Are you saying that we have to pay additional VAT to online vendors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sorry, it was a confusing statement.. I just meant if you are going to put the Peats price in context to online vendors, consider that the Peats price has the full whack of Irish VAT included in it.

Sorry, it was a confusing statement.. I just meant if you are going to put the Peats price in context to online vendors, consider that the Peats price has the full whack of Irish VAT included in it.

But if you purchase within the EU Irish VAT wont apply.

yoyo wrote: »
    I honestly don't think sony laptops are stylish, they appear to me to be of poor build quality, have certain idiotic design ideas sometimes (Took me a while to figure out a new sony laptop I was asked to setup had its power button on the right hand side hinge :confused:), also imo there are much better brands out there which are stylish enough and work out cheaper, Toshiba, Dell etc are decent machines

Nick

Hmnn I've always thought Sony laptops were quite stylish and fairly well built. Typing this on a VGN-FZ11L at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If apple made a Macbook Nano with crap like 1 usb port or an awkward screen resolution, you would see the masses flood and queue to buy it just because its made by apple.
    Same thing goes for Sony just that Sony fan boys aren't all "trendy" and don't brag about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Is anyone able to answer the 3 dongle SIM question? Will it work inside the VAIO P?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But if you purchase within the EU Irish VAT wont apply.
    That's not entirely true. It all depends on the site. Overclockers.co.uk will charge you the irish vat rate once you change your address to ireland. Can't think of many others that do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You could say the same about the iPhone 3G or Macbook Pro.....

As long as there is rich people who love gadgets there will be overpriced stuff like this.

Advertisement