Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ready for racing season

Options
  • 14-02-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

At the moment, just sitting round at home and I'm dying to get racing this summer. I'm all jittery at the thought of transition zones and vaseline around the ankles and pointless stuff in the goody bags.
    AND RACING! I can't wait to get started...

How 'bout you? What'cha looking forward to? Which races are on the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

jamesbrady wrote: »
    At the moment, just sitting round at home and I'm dying to get racing this summer. I'm all jittery at the thought of transition zones and vaseline around the ankles and pointless stuff in the goody bags.
    AND RACING! I can't wait to get started...

Yes I am dying to get started too.

Im following one of Jack Daniels programmes for 1500 metres (even though Ill probably be racing mostly longer distances) and I cant wait to start doing reps, interval workouts and tempo runs.

At the moment Im just easing back and all Im doing is easy running to get the mileage in. Its boring me senseless tbh but I want to do things properly and build it up gradually rather than risk injury later on. Its just another three weeks now anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

jamesbrady wrote: »
    Haven't got jitters yet but I am looking forward to the race season.
    Athy Olympic and Eireman (HIM) booked. Will also definitely do Dunmore East.
    Would love to do Tramore again but it clashes with Eireman. <sigh>
    No others at the moment.

I'm both excited and terrified at the same time at the thought of Eireman.
    It's the terror that gets me up at 6am for training during the week (and 7 Jaysus 30 this morning (Sunday) ) so I suppose it's gotta be a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This will be my 1st year really racing in 12yrs (long story) ran a few bits and pieces last year but was not really fit.
    This year I would like to run 25 races - some serious - some just in place of a training session.
    Outside of county races have not set too many targets (race selection wise), but want to improve my Irish Runner 5 time by 5 mins (last year after 3mths running my head ran a great first 3 miles, but my body had a different plan :().
    Would like a sub 40min 10k (1st bash Great Ireland Run and 2nd stab Dunsaughlin).
    I think I have a sub 18:45 5k in me (our Country RR is next Sunday, but that's too soon, need to find one in June or July).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Babybing wrote: »
    Yes I am dying to get started too.

Im following one of Jack Daniels programmes for 1500 metres (even though Ill probably be racing mostly longer distances) and I cant wait to start doing reps, interval workouts and tempo runs.

At the moment Im just easing back and all Im doing is easy running to get the mileage in. Its boring me senseless tbh but I want to do things properly and build it up gradually rather than risk injury later on. Its just another three weeks now anyway:)

Why not incorporate fartlek andlonger reps that will compliment your base work and break up the monotomy of long slow runs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

ecoli wrote: »
    Why not incorporate fartlek and longer reps that will compliment your base work and break up the monotomy of long slow runs

Well starting this week ecoli Im going to add in 6-8 strides on each run and Ill be doing a longer run at the weekend as well so that should make things a bit more varied, then after three weeks Ill start doing rep's, intervals, tempo's and a few races here and there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement