Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a postgrad qualification

Options
  • 14-02-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but am I right in asuming that a postgrad is for someone that has a degree in a chosen field but wants to do something completely different and instead of going back to do another 4 year degree they can study for just one year have have a postgrad which will be equivalnet to a 4 year degree in that new field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Here's the wikipedia definition of what a postgrad is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_student#Definition

A postgraduate degree is essentially any course that you may do after your undergraduate degree (i.e. post is the latin for 'after') so it's a course you do after your primary (first) degree. A Postgrad course can be done in anything and it doesn't have to be an unrelated course to your degree (i.e. I could have a BA in Geography, but I could go on and do an MA in geography or MSc in GIS). There are taught postgrads, these are; Master's, HDip's, P Grad Dip's, Dips etc... that have a taught (i.e modules and subjects with exams, and a research project) component, then there are Reseach post grads; MPhil, MLitt, certain types of MSc and of course PhD's that have an almost whole research component. This is the only way that I can answer your question, so I think you've got all the information right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I think you're thinking of conversion courses.

A lot of postgrad courses are designed for people to deepen their knowledge in a particular field and require people to have studied a relevant-ish subject at undergrad level. A masters or a PhD isn't a substitute for having studied something at undergrad, it's additional.

Conversion courses are, to my knowledge, often in the form of postgraduate diplomas rather than masters.

Advertisement