Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of masters should i do 'taught' or 'research'?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 2:04pm

i am currenty on a 3.4 QCA and i have been advised that doing a masters would greatly improve my oportuinitys for employment and allow me to progress within the field also (am doing materials and construction tech education).

but i dont know whether to do a taught or research masters... is anyone out there current doing one or the other, or have done in the past?

id appreciate any advice availible

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It really depends on the career path you wish to take.

Take engineering for example, a research path would be ideal as you have a project to solve. Many engineering postgrads go on to do PhDs. Teaching would be better suited to a taught postgrad as you learn new skills rather than research a particular topic.

In your case I'd say its difficult to decide. You could pursue research into novel construction materials, with the potential for a PhD or focus more on developing your teaching skills with a taught postgrad.

You need to ask your self what is it you want to do for the next decades. If you enjoy working on a project where you are expected to engage in experimentation, and research or would you rather attend more lectures in a similar manner to your undergrad.

Of course don't be afraid to get out of UL and apply elsewhere.

Advertisement