Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience in Medical Field

Options
  • 13-02-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi,

My son is in Transition Year and has his mind set on becoming a Doctor. His academic results have been excellent (he was top boy in his school in his Juniors), and we're trying to find him somewhere to get some work experience in the medical field but so far have been unsuccessful.

We tried to get him into the MiniMed School but were told that they don't take applications from individuals (only schools) and by the time they got back to us it was too late. We've also asked around, but have basically got nowhere.

Does anybody know if there's anywhere we can try? It's not something he's being pushed into, he really has his own mind set on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Where do you live?

Some hospitals take take students in on work experience for a couple of weeks... I did that. You need to apply to the hospital directly.

I'm not really in the medical area, but some doctors I know worked as ward aides during the summer for a few months. Tough work, but fantastic work experience as they got to see how a hospital worked. It also paid o.k. It also looked good if they were applying to med school in UK.

Another option is to ask your local GP if he can contact someone.

Remember that some patients may not like being examined while in the company of a teenager... so that may cause difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Dinkie,

Thanks, I'd thought of asking a couple of doctors I know (still probably will), but as you mentioned who wants to talk to their doctor with a teenager in the room ? I thought that maybe working in hospital would be more likely.

I'll contact the local hospitals and see if there is anything they can do. I just didn't know if there was any central office I could call.

We live in the Midlands (near Mullingar), but have friends in Dublin who could put him up for a week or two if necessary.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

As Dinkie said, many hospitals will take in students on work exp. for a week or two. I was on work experience in a local general hospital for two weeks, once in TY and once again in 5th year.

The first time round I was given very little exposure to the clinical environment, so I didn't really gain anything substantial. The second time however, I was on the wards for three days, and in A&E for two days which was absolutely fantastic. It was a relatively quite department and the doc was amazing in terms of letting me sit in when the patient had no objections, answering some of the many questions I had, explaining some basic investigations, procedures etc. To this day I hold it as extremely valuable, as I left the hospital at the end of the placement knowing that this is what I want to do.

Many of my fellow students also undertook placement in the hospital environment, and were glad of doing so, but for the opposite reason. I can recall two friends who intended training in a medical field, only to learn that they were profoundly uncomfortable in the medical environment. Work experience can be an invaluable resource in this regard.

Thanks ImDave,

Is there any specific department we should speak to in the hospital or just ask for HR and then explain what we're looking for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

here's hoping you find some work experience. If I were you I'd get in contact with Tallaght hospital as that is where I did my work experience when I was in TY, however, my principal knew one of the consultants so think that was why I got it. I know however, that the Mater hospital do TY work experience which is meant to be really good....you might need to get in contact with HR or something to find out about that. Really, if he is serious about studying medicine I'd advise that he really try to find work experience. Whilst it made me realise it was what I wanted to do (and to this day I have no regrets), other people who attended it with me were turned off my the experience.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks me2Gud4u.

I'll try that as well. I agree that I think it's important that he gets a chance to try it first, as half way through med school maybe too late. I imagine the picture you get from outside the profession is completely unrealistic.

He's had some feel to it as both his grandparents on one side were in the medical field (Dentist & Nurse) and we've actually got plenty of friends who are Doc's, just not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Hi,
    My son is in Transition Year and has his mind set on becoming a Doctor. His academic results have been excellent (he was top boy in his school in his Juniors), and we're trying to find him somewhere to get some work experience in the medical field but so far have been unsuccessful.
    We tried to get him into the MiniMed School but were told that they don't take applications from individuals (only schools) and by the time they got back to us it was too late. We've also asked around, but have basically got nowhere.
    Does anybody know if there's anywhere we can try? It's not something he's being pushed into, he really has his own mind set on it.
    Thanks.

very difficult to get permission nowadays, a few unfortunate incidents of students relaying to colleagues where they had been and what they had seen

best to write to local hospital

get a summer job, ideal get paid to find out what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LCstudent123

hi i did TY work experience 2years ago in the mater hospital with the hope of persuing a career as a doctor. my sister worked in the mater and got me in but most of the time i was going around the different labs. i didn't really enjoy this because it wasn't really what doctors do. but most mornings i got to go around the wards with my sister and i must say it was brilliant. i really got the feel of what being a doctor is like. i'm still hopin to study mecicine next yr so hopefully i get the points. i'd strongly advise trying to get work exp in a hospital. try to get yourself some contacts in the hospital that might help you. good look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

It has become very difficult to get work experience for ty students- I have no problem with them but ask each patient individually for permission prior to allowing the student in, but HR have stopped them now - due to issues of patient confidentiallity- They do ironically allow them to have work experience with the ward clerks.

Imdave- which hospital were you attached to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

Again, I did work exp. in galway and I basically just spent one day out of the week in a different department. I wasn't directly attached to any doctors- it was more dietetics, pharmacy, physiotherapy, etc. But i still got a good feel of the hospitals...

At the mo Im in the middle of my college years, and have noticed an increasing amount of TY/5th yr students around. I find that a lot of them are in surgeries, some have gone on ward rounds, etc. They have gotten some exposure to patients, but nothing along the lines of the real stuff that's involved. I would really recommend that your son would talk to people who have gone through the course, and those who are doing the course, as its one way to get a true feel for whats going on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Remember that some patients may not like being examined while in the company of a teenager... so that may cause difficulties.

I have just finished a week of work experience in a hospital. I was in a clinic with the doctor where he was talking 1 on 1 with patients. None of the patients had a problem with me sitting in. I was allowed to sit in on a few operations and scans and was present during the ward rounds and examinations. None of the patients had a problem and in fact most of the patients I was talking to were quite impressed at what I was doing and were more than happy to allow me sit in.
    I know that there may be a few exceptions to this but I experienced none of these exceptions and I saw a lot of patients with the doctor I was following.

Advertisement