Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding another baby

Options
  • 13-02-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi just wondering if anyone saw Salma Hayek in the news? She apparently breastfed a starving African baby because his mother had no milk. I'm just wondering what othe people think? It seems quite selfless and natural, but I reckon a lot of people will find it bizarre. And I can't find an article where it says the mother of the child was happy etc I know wet nurses used to be common, but just wondering how other women here would feel about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

i think that breastfeeding is very intimate bond between mother and baby. As a current breastfeeding mother I would not like or want to feed another womans child.

However, put me in the situation where a child is starving to death and my milk could save the childs life and I think I would soon change my mind.

Fair play to Salma. I mean, she possibly could have expressed and given the milk by bottle, put perhaps the skin to skin contact is benefiting the baby also..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

It anyone hasn't heard about it yet, here's a clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

It anyone hasn't heard about it yet, here's a clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm all for it. In fact, my sister is due in March, I was thinking of offering her my wee man as a practice unit ;) JOKE!

Seriously, though, in day to day life, no way, but if a child is starving, fair play to her. Wonder what the child will do for its next feed, though. There are more lasting ways to help the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheQueen

I thought it was great!!! I honestly think any breastfeeding mother would do the same though if faced with a starving baby in such circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

TheQueen wrote: »
    I thought it was great!!! I honestly think any breastfeeding mother would do the same though if faced with a starving baby in such circumstances.

+1, fair deuce to her for being an activist. I also admire her for highlighting some of the other issues involved , see below....

She did this, she told the camera crew, in part out of compassion for a suffering child, but also to help lift the stigma against breast-feeding in Africa, where men often think women can't have sex if they're still nursing. "So the husbands, of course, of these women are really encouraging them to stop [breast-feeding]," Hayek said. Source link

Advertisement