Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.5TB external USB drive 115 sterling [maybe best avoided]

Options
  • 13-02-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150124

"Maxtor 1.5TB External Hard Drive USB2.0 32MB Cache"

Might be handy if you're getting anything else from eBuyer. That works out to be about 130 euro, cheapest I've seen.

Don't forget to use google checkout for delivery to Ireland.

[edit: looking at the comments, it seems that these drives are cr@p... Maybe it's best to avoid! Apologies.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'd stay way from a 1.5TB drive like the plag, from the picture it look like a single drive and they have a HUGE failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

+1 avoid at all costs. I sell the Maxtor 1.5TB External (single drive) at work. I'm sick of seeing them come back!
    If ur buying a drive that size buy 2. Back up the back up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

+1 avoid at all costs. I sell the Maxtor 1.5TB External (single drive) at work. I'm sick of seeing them come back!
    If ur buying a drive that size buy 2. Back up the back up ;)

Hi, where's the best place to buy a 1tb external media player that is very user friendly for someone like me who is not a gr8 techie please? any recommendations as you work in this sector? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

rco2000 wrote: »
    Hi, where's the best place to buy a 1tb external media player that is very user friendly for someone like me who is not a gr8 techie please? any recommendations as you work in this sector? tks

Not too sure about 1TB media! Ive seen mainly 500GB kickin around in the shops!
    I would suggest one of these. Excellent interface and really easy to use.
    You can connect any USB drive and play back the files from it! Great piece of kit!
    Pair it with this and you have the perfect setup! ;)

Not too sure about 1TB media! Ive seen mainly 500GB kickin around in the shops!
    I would suggest one of these. Excellent interface and really easy to use.
    You can connect any USB drive and play back the files from it! Great piece of kit!
    Pair it with this and you have the perfect setup! ;)

Tks a mill for that.
    Just one quick question - what's the difference between the two (ignoring the capacity) - to me they are very similar i.e. do basically the same thing? And if so, why would one pair them. Tks again bluemachavel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

Tks a mill for that.
    Just one quick question - what's the difference between the two (ignoring the capacity) - to me they are very similar i.e. do basically the same thing? And if so, why would one pair them. Tks again bluemachavel

One is a media player and one is a harddrive ;)

degsie wrote: »
    One is a media player and one is a harddrive ;)

Tks Degsie. But why pair them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Tks Degsie. But why pair them?
    The hard drive is for storage, the media player is for playing what you've stored on the hard drive (as it itself doesn't do storage)

cheers sceptre. but i thought the media player has a heard drive also (500gb) & this can be used for storage by plugging it into a PC or insering an sd card of some sort?
    Sorry if i come accross as stupid - i am when it comes to tech stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh, you don't come across as stupid at all. Reading the specs on the media player, it doesn't have any listing for included storage so I assume it doesn't have any - the description mentions plugging in a USB drive as well. Obviously I'm totally correctable (as always:)) but I'm pretty sure it's just a player, especially at that price.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Oh, you don't come across as stupid at all. Reading the specs on the media player, it doesn't have any listing for included storage so I assume it doesn't have any - the description mentions plugging in a USB drive as well. Obviously I'm totally correctable (as always:)) but I'm pretty sure it's just a player, especially at that price.

Tks again sceptre for the advice. I am going to look for an external media player with circa 1tb of storage (will prob see can I get one that has 2 x 500gb as advised in earlier post above) & I am not too sure whether to buy one with a recording facility. However prices are coming down all the time & I may wait another couple of weeks for a special offer to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Those WD MyBook 1TB external drives are fine. I have 1 at home and there's one in the office and have not had even a hint of a problem. Plus they're smaller, quieter and less power-hungry than the twin-drive solution.
    The problems mentioned above specifically refer to the new 1.5TB single drives.

But remember: you should ALWAYS have a backup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I find my 1TB Mybook occasionally throws a wobbler when copying files and gives some cyclic redundancy errors - also it seems to power itself down for some reason every so often. I also had a lot of problems connecting it via the eSATA cable - in the end I pulled it ouot of it's caddy and just mounted it as an internal drive, less hassle that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Arciphel wrote: »
    I find my 1TB Mybook occasionally throws a wobbler when copying files and gives some cyclic redundancy errors - also it seems to power itself down for some reason every so often. I also had a lot of problems connecting it via the eSATA cable - in the end I pulled it ouot of it's caddy and just mounted it as an internal drive, less hassle that way...

Jeez, I wouldn't put a drive with CRC errors anywhere near my system, internal or not. Or are you saying that the errors have now mysteriously stopped since you mounted it as an internal SATA? You've presumably CHKDSK-ed it? In that case, there's probably something wrong with the cabling in your MyBook enclosure. Which seems to tie in with your comment about problems connecting via eSATA...

That said, I use mine exclusively with Firewire (Hackintosh FTW!) and have never had any problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

AFAIK these are Seagate 1.5 TB disks in a Maxtor external case. There is a firware fix available for the Seagate disks to address stability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

turly wrote: »
    Those WD MyBook 1TB external drives are fine. I have 1 at home and there's one in the office and have not had even a hint of a problem. Plus they're smaller, quieter and less power-hungry than the twin-drive solution.
    The problems mentioned above specifically refer to the new 1.5TB single drives.

But remember: you should ALWAYS have a backup :)

Anyone who feels safe with a western Digital external HD should back up now and quickly, they die without warning. i suggest googling "Mybook failure" or anything along those lines and you'll find out how thin the ice your skating on really is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

If you google "Barracuda failure" you get loads of sites highlighting how sh1te Seagate drives are!

Surely the My Books are no worse than most external harddrives?

What are the more reliable external drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

expatoz wrote: »
    Anyone who feels safe with a western Digital external HD should back up now and quickly, they die without warning. i suggest googling "Mybook failure" or anything along those lines and you'll find out how thin the ice your skating on really is

There is always a certain amount of drives that fail so you are bound to get results if you google something like that. I have 4 of the 1TB WD MyBook's which i have bought over the last 2 years (got another yesterday :)€97@Dabs) and they are working great! My brother even dropped 1 and its still fine & dandy :D From my friends and my personal experience, i find WD the best for hard drives and i only ever buy them after recieving failures with other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    i find WD the best for hard drives and i only ever buy them after recieving failures with other brands.

Thank god, there was me frantically backing up my 2 MyBooks all morning onto DVDs in case they failed!!!

Nice price for the 1tb My Book, I might add it to my 500gb and 750gb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

picked up a 1tb Iomega hard drive in Harvey Normans (nutgrove) today for 119€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You can buy a Lacie La Cinema (either 250 / 500 or 1k Gb), works as both media player and storage device. tis da job.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    There is always a certain amount of drives that fail so you are bound to get results if you google something like that. I have 4 of the 1TB WD MyBook's which i have bought over the last 2 years (got another yesterday :)€97@Dabs) and they are working great! My brother even dropped 1 and its still fine & dandy :D From my friends and my personal experience, i find WD the best for hard drives and i only ever buy them after recieving failures with other brands.

The western digital "Mybook" failure rate is exceptional, i only was searching for info because it happened to me and i hadn't backed up my data and needed info on how to recover. It may not be all Western Digital externals but the "mybook" brand is dodgy.

Anyway i only buy other brands because of Mybook failures, so maybe all externals will die some day

Branners i would most definitely back up, i learned the hard way

Advertisement