Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Portarlington safe???

Options
  • 13-02-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Eh just noted a few things happening in town lately. i drive out the road past the old fire station to portlaoise every day and this morning i noticed a car that was parked outside a house, all the windows were smashed!!! I oass that car everyday and i was in shock to see that. i mean the car wasnt a wreck or anything and wasnt dumped it was still being used. Secondly ive noticed there are rubbish bags dumped randomly around town and litter is just blowing around as a result. Thirdly, there are some strange characters around the place hanging around and loitering in particular in my housing estate. What on earth is going on????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Ruby-J wrote: »
    Eh just noted a few things happening in town lately. i drive out the road past the old fire station to portlaoise every day and this morning i noticed a car that was parked outside a house, all the windows were smashed!!! I oass that car everyday and i was in shock to see that. i mean the car wasnt a wreck or anything and wasnt dumped it was still being used. Secondly ive noticed there are rubbish bags dumped randomly around town and litter is just blowing around as a result. Thirdly, there are some strange characters around the place hanging around and loitering in particular in my housing estate. What on earth is going on????:confused:

to be honest Ruby the place has just turned into a dump after the "expansion" of it began. i remember when i was growing up in the town (im 27 now) it was a great safe town and had a great communitly feel to it. dont get me wrong a lot of good folks have moved to the town and contributed but i think urban sprawl, lack of respect and drugs has just taken its toll now. cant see it getting any better in the future either. espeically since heroin is being sold about the place now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can nearly entirely be blamed on the mass amount of people who moved into the town IMO. Still though you can say things like smashed windows/shady characters can be found everywhere...always going to have some people who think breaking windows 'is great craic'.....bloody twats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The town is pretty awful, incredibly depressing, reminds me of Flint, Michigan on "Bowling For Columbine". I hate saying this, and a lot of it has to do with the fools that have moved here, it's almost a melting pot of knackers (Indigenous, Dublin, Eastern European, Members of the Travelling Community) have all conglomerated and broken windows, drugs, assaults, etc... is the culmination of all of this. I say we get the A-Team!;) You always know when a place has turned to shi-ite when heroin replaces cocaine as the drug of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I could go into a big long rant about portarlington and so on but in short there is no safe towns anymore and portarlington is no exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

El Siglo wrote: »
    I hate saying this, and a lot of it has to do with the fools that have moved here, it's almost a melting pot of knackers (Indigenous, Dublin, Eastern European, Members of the Travelling Community) have all conglomerated and broken windows, drugs, assaults, etc... is the culmination of all of this.

stop any of the boy racers who frequent the villages and towns of Laois and you won't find any of them are from Dublin. Asking if a place is safe is pointless, like asking if driving is safe - everyone has their own experiences which shape their opinions. There's nothing wrong with Portarlington in my opinion, there's no homeless people, no junkies congregating, no hookers walking up and down main street. The only thing that might make Port. unsafe is the roads, otherwise it's almost entirely safe for someone not looking for trouble. The internet brings out of a lot of shrieking violets for some reason ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

stop any of the boy racers who frequent the villages and towns of Laois and you won't find any of them are from Dublin. Asking if a place is safe is pointless, like asking if driving is safe - everyone has their own experiences which shape their opinions. There's nothing wrong with Portarlington in my opinion, there's no homeless people, no junkies congregating, no hookers walking up and down main street. The only thing that might make Port. unsafe is the roads, otherwise it's almost entirely safe for someone not looking for trouble. The internet brings out of a lot of shrieking violets for some reason ;)
    well said. I've never heard such a pile of sh*te as from the previous posters; you'd think Armageddon was upon us here in Port. A car with broken windows...oh God, society has broken down altogether, declare martial law!!
    Ruby J - did you think u were moving to El Dorado?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I moved out of Port about 5 years ago, and have been down every 4th or 5th weekend to go out and see mates etc.

I have to say that in the last year I've felt a whole lot safer when out in town, 3-4 years ago I'd either have been the victim of violence or I would have experienced it 1st hand.

I feel that the atmosphere has improved, and I'm not looking out for little lads looking to start a fight.

Now, that said, maybe I've changed and become more relaxed in my demeanor, or maybe I've just been very lucky every weekend I've been down but..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Ruby-J wrote: »
    , there are some strange characters around the place hanging around and loitering in particular in my housing estate. What on earth is going on????:confused:

What estate is this ?

I moved down with my girlfriend in late October and have not seen one bit of trouble in estates/road-side coming out of pubs etc etc.
    All towns have a bit of bother and one or two guerriers about the place but i havent seen any signs of trouble or anyone hanging about the place bar a few rockers by O'Dea's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

A car with broken windows...oh God, society has broken down altogether, declare martial law!!
    Ruby J - did you think u were moving to El Dorado?

To see that around the corner from where i live is shocking for me. Apologies that i havent become USED to seeing it!!! To me that is not normal and an everyday occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Asking if a place is safe is pointless, like asking if driving is safe -The internet brings out of a lot of shrieking violets for some reason ;)

If you read some of the other threads in the laois forum you will notice this has been mentioned before however i have only started to notice it hence why i voiced my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

ruby I know where you are coming from but still wouldnt say ports not safe when compared to many other areas. Have to say only ever saw trouble once in the pubs and that was a gang of local 18/19 year old girls. I think Port has the potential to get very bad if they dont put a few more gardai around. Imagine waiting for the gaurds late at night round here youd be left waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thegr81

who are you ruby,, i live in the estate around the corner from where that car was.. that car was there for a good to weeks and nobody ever touched it. i lived in port my whole life and have only ever seen a few bad aspects of the town in the past few years.. mostly foreigners.. there not all bad infact inm friends with many. i was walking around supervalue one evening in winter.. it was dark and i was with my gf.. two men (foreign) came from the opposite direction.supervalue was closed for sum reason. naturaly i was thinking oh ****! the men walked past anyway, off their head. then few mins down the road i looked back and they were running at us.. lukily we ran into relativs house around the corner.. i woulda bin fu#%ed if it werent for that.. like my gf cant run for ****.. and i was hardly guna leave er there.. but generaly your better off in port than any other town.. you can find ou about anyone with a few questions

Advertisement