Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mame Cab pictures

Options
  • 13-02-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have been working on a mame cab for the past 6-8 months (on and off as 2 kids hampered my progress).
    I have gotten to the stage where it finally looks presentable so decided to post some before and after pics.
    I have to say when I first got the cab I hadn't a clue how to approach the refurb but thanks to the interweb and lots of late nights it came together.
    I still have some Led's to put in and some other bits and bobs i.e more emulators etc but this is the way it is going to stay for a while. The paintwork on the sides is not the greatest and I might prime it and re-paint it along the line.
    If anyone needs advice on building one of these I would be more than happy to help.
    On a final note I have to say it was one of the most worthwhile projects I have started and the sense of achievement is amazing when visitors to the house comment on it.
    Special shout out to Jules (who kindly donated the cab) and the peeps over at arcade controls forum.
    Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

More pics, sorry they are not in order...

and some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i'd actually like to see more of that EVH guitar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Very nice indeed. I'm quietly jealous What's the frontend Mame software you are using ?

Front end software is mamewah great piece of kit but nightmare to configure
    Have been trying to get a c64 emulator running on it for the past 3 months....

As for the Evh bought it a few years ago for a small fortune and am embarrassed to say have only played it a dozen times due to the arrival of kids. Plays great ( jammed girl gone bad the first week I got it with a few mates and it sounded great) and hope to put it through it's paces soon....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The button layout is silly if you're going to play Street Fighter on it. Should have put in more after going to all the trouble of doing up artwork and everything.

I agree with you blitz, I wanted to change the layout of the buttons to have 3 in a row x2 giving 6 but got tired waiting on my mate to come down with his drill to do it.
    Its a metal control panel which makes matters worse. I am not a huge Street Fighter fan to be honest and most of the games I play are fine with the layout I have but I will definitely change it in the future.
    The Control Panel Overlay was cheap so no hassle getting another if I decide to change the controls.
    Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Metal CP.

Did you get that yourself ?

No didnt get it myself.
    It was on tha cab when I got it, was considering changing it but as it was my first effort I decided to leave it. The layout of the buttons is quite strange but is more than enough for what I need.
    I will eventually change it and add some more buttons for pause and exit etc.
    I have 2 buttons at the side of the cab which I am going to change to pinball flipper buttons (currently they are pause and credit), plus I intend to put a microswitch on the coin slot so that operates as the credit button.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not bad, but it's also no candy cab :)
    (I don't have a candy cab... yet)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

Yeah, Very Jealous. It looks great. Is it in a games room or spare room?
    You can use it to educate those 2 kids on evolution of gaming!

Thanks for the kind comments.
    Its in a spare room that I use for working from home and have my guitars and stuff in there.
    I have wanted to build one since around '97 or so when I first got Mame on 3 discs from a guy I used to work with. Never followed up on it until a guy in my current job made a deal with me that he would give me the Cab if I shifted 2 Sega Naomi machines for him (which I did on Adverts).
    I would love to cover the control panel with some lexan to keep it from getting damaged but I am not very good when it comes to DIY etc.
    The metal control panel is a bit of a pain but it does the job. I have no need for spinners or trackball as I never really played those kind of games.
    I am planning to make a bartop one for my 2 neices' for their holiday home in France. Again I will be buying the cab ready made (turnerarcades.co.uk) and building from there. It can get quite addictive once you get one finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

You got some nice friends! He wouldn't happen to have any more cabs he's getting rid of?

I can image it would be fairly addictive alright, I'd love to have one but space doesn't permit me too!

You should keep an eye on adverts.ie, you see cabs for sale fairly often.
    If space is a problem take a look at www.turnerarcades.co.uk, they do all different sorts of cabs, built and barewood.
    The guy who runs it is very helpful and the flat pack kits are decent enough and cheap. I will be buying one in the next month or so and how to get cracking on the bartop I want to build.
    If you need any advice give me a shout anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

I think the link is http://www.turnarcades.co.uk/ bro.

Good site.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

I think the link is http://www.turnarcades.co.uk/ bro.

Good site.

Advertisement