Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Above & Beyond

Options
  • 13-02-2009 12:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well finished watching all of the episodes last night and feeling pretty annoyed that the didnt make another series!!

From watching it, it's obvious Aero-tech knew about the Chigs and the peace negotiations were a ruse and that the Chigs seemingly had all the advantages.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Well finished watching all of the episodes last night and feeling pretty annoyed that the didnt make another series!!

From watching it, it's obvious Aero-tech knew about the Chigs and the peace negotiations were a ruse and that the Chigs seemingly had all the advantages.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, it was pretty annoying they canned it. At least the last episode drew it to an end for the characters in the series instead of a damn season cliffhanger.

From what I remember it slowly became obvious Aero-tech where hiding information from others such as the real first contact and advancements they made studying chig tech. Seemed like they where there to be setup as the evil guys instead of the chigs who where just ordinary bad guys :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mantel wrote: »
    Yeah, it was pretty annoying they canned it. At least the last episode drew it to an end for the characters in the series instead of a damn season cliffhanger.

From what I remember it slowly became obvious Aero-tech where hiding information from others such as the real first contact and advancements they made studying chig tech. Seemed like they where there to be setup as the evil guys instead of the chigs who where just ordinary bad guys :)

Yeah the CEO was of Aero-Tech was talking with one of the military interogators who was obviously on his payroll and it was obvious they had dealings with the Chigs and from what the Super Chig said it was also pretty obvious. But I got the view from what the interrogator said was that Earth was about to get its a$$ handed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye great show i loved the episode with the chig ace. It was on sky 1 at 1am for a while and i thin netowrk two had it at 1.55 for a while when it first came out

Ah I remember this series, it was very good as I recall, made by the guys behind the X-Files.

Don't remember to much of the specifics, though.

Is it worth getting to watch?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ah I remember this series, it was very good as I recall, made by the guys behind the X-Files.

Don't remember to much of the specifics, though.

Is it worth getting to watch?

Yep, I would say its worth getting and can probably be got cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I think they got screwed by the network, it was one of the original fireflys, it was given a stupid time slot and got pre-empted for sports alot of times.

That being said tho, i watched it again there recently and it was pretty bad, come on pilots who also did covert ops and basic grunt\battlefield warfare!!!!, christ if it was out now they'd be lwayers as well.

Same for briscoe county junior, i'm never going back to childhood shows, it kills fond memories.

I think they got screwed by the network, it was one of the original fireflys, it was given a stupid time slot and got pre-empted for sports alot of times.

That being said tho, i watched it again there recently and it was pretty bad, come on pilots who also did covert ops and basic grunt\battlefield warfare!!!!, christ if it was out now they'd be lwayers as well.

Same for briscoe county junior, i'm never going back to childhood shows, it kills fond memories.

Ah come on it's sci-fi, there is a certain amount of leave your brain at the door when your watching this types of programs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'd say that good scifi makes you think and that you don't have diconnect your brain.
    Which is why "Enterprise" sucked ass.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'd say that good scifi makes you think and that you don't have diconnect your brain.
    Which is why "Enterprise" sucked ass.

I would agree but the poster does not have an issue with the sci-fi more the way the Unit is run, i.e. that they are all officers, they fly fighters, transports, seem to be special ops troops all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

That was just one thing, it had some good episodes(i particularly liked the one with the clone going on a lone operation) but had more bad eps than good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

That was just one thing, it had some good episodes(i particularly liked the one with the clone going on a lone operation) but had more bad eps than good.
    i liked the episode with the (??? - cant remember there name) but anyway AI's who where obsessed with matchs - i can remember

choice or chance, chance or choice

you go out for the night and you meet someone by chance but then you make it a choice to bring them into your life, for an hour, a year , or a lifetime (or something to that effect) anyway - it was a good little early 90's scifi speech

User45701 wrote: »
    i liked the episode with the (??? - cant remember there name) but anyway AI's who where obsessed with matchs - i can remember

choice or chance, chance or choice

you go out for the night and you meet someone by chance but then you make it a choice to bring them into your life, for an hour, a year , or a lifetime (or something to that effect) anyway - it was a good little early 90's scifi speech

Yes that assassination ep with Hawkes was quite good.

Each of them had their own episode but it was done in a natural way and not so obvious.

Chiggy Von Ricthofen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i loved this show, any idea where you can watch it now? looked into buying and it seems to be only available on region 1 dvds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Balmed Out wrote: »
    i loved this show, any idea where you can watch it now? looked into buying and it seems to be only available on region 1 dvds

I got it from Amazon.com, its region 1 alright, so you'd need a region free dvd player to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I bought the boxset off ebay last year. Really great to see the series again (and the ones I'd missed or forgotten? from back in the day!). Some of it didn't work for me tho' (AIs for one thing). This time around I still felt cheated at the end :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I remember religiously watching this series when it was first aired; I was actually trying to remember the name of it some months back but never could... and now I have this thread! Now to find some episodes....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At the time it was the most expensive television series ever made (and I believe it didn't get surpassed until Band of Brothers). The ratings simply weren't good enough to sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Yh watched this recently well worth getting it on ebay or the likes.

Advertisement