Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do on job situation

Options
  • 13-02-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hi

i ve been working in a company for the last 6 months, recently i had a meeting with my boss because they werent happy with my performance, sayin that i was making too many mistakes etc
    i wasnt too happy about this because i ve been working my ass off for all this time, always doin overtime to get the job done, and its the typeof job where u make mistakes due to the lack of experience.
    now i feel that if something goes wrong, i ll get the blame instantly and they ll hold it against me, but other people there make even more mistakes than me and nothing is ever said about those,in my opinion because they have a different relationship with the boss
    now myquestion is this..

im coming to the end of the probation and i think one of this options will happen

they ll extend the probation, sayin they wanna see if i improve( i think its the most likely to happen because there is a lot of work to get done and i doubt they re gonna look for other people
    or
    they ll let me go(taking into account budgets cuts were announced a few weeks ago)

how could i handle this experience on my cv with the future employers?

quite frankly this company where im workingnow is well known for its bad reputation but i really needed some experience thats why i accepted it, but i also know that no matter how bad the company is , you cant really say anything like that in an interview ,and im supposed to highlight only the good things about it

i dont want to use this crowd as a reference as im sure they wouldnt give me a good one! but i would probably get asked for it, so what could i say?

so far everyone toldme i had a good personality,i putted in the effort and had a good academic record, now all of a sudden these people tell me im useless!

i dont want to say to a new employer that iworked in this place and didnt passthe probation so would you leave it out from the cv?
    its basically my first real job( had another one before but ended after3 months due to redundancies..) so i dunno what to do!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I could have written that entire post myself about 3 years ago.

OP, I was in a similar job. I was in an IT based role working for this company, and like you, I was working until at times midnight to get things finished, really working my ass off to get stuff finished. I went on holiday for a week, came back and they said I had made a 'mistake' before I went on holiday and they were taking me out of my role and turning me into a glorified tea lady, where I would just answer the phones and do nothing else:

"Waste of space Solutions, Billy Hopeless Speaking, How can i help you?"

They said they would keep me on and see if my work improved, but they didnt think it would.

As anyone with my skills and talent would do, I resigned, and got a job about a week later for nearly twice the money and less hassle.

A few months later the company shed half its staff, and out sourced the rest to india or somewhere. Talking about the experience with a friend we came up with an interesting theory. Bare with me, I know this is getting boring but...

The theory goes like this: The company knows its in trouble, owes money or whatever, needs to shed staff, but cant afford to pay redundancies, and have no real grounds to sack anyone, so they make things uncomfortable for the staff so they resign. That way they don't need to pay redundancies and manage to stay in operation a little bit longer.

Call me cynical but I would bet something similar is happening in your place. Start looking for another job. Despite what RTE tells you, IT, in this country is still very VERY strong, and it should not be too difficult to get another one, if your in IT. If you are not, let us know what industry you are in, and maybe someone here can help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 memet

thanks for the reply syklops
    im actually in the pharma industry
    its something that i was thinking myself, i dont think they are goin to change their opinion now so i should prob do like u did
    what im concerned about is what to put on the cv? whatever i ll go for ,they ll prob wanna speak with the last employer , and i dont want them as a reference!
    but i dont really have much more experience so its hard to leave them out from the cv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

OP, start applying for jobs now and attending interviews. Do not let your employer know you are doing this. At every interview, you need to let them know that you are still working at this company and they are not aware that you are looking elsewhere, therefore no-one there can provide you with a reference. This is standard practice with a lot of companies, who will not contact your current employer if you request it. As a reference give the name of your previous company (I know you were made redundant) whom I'm presuming should not have any problem providing you with a reference.
    Best of luck its an awkward situation, but you might surprise yourself and end up in the job of your dreams (Its not all bad out there, there is still work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

syklops wrote: »
    I could have written that entire post myself about 3 years ago.

OP, I was in a similar job. I was in an IT based role working for this company, and like you, I was working until at times midnight to get things finished, really working my ass off to get stuff finished. I went on holiday for a week, came back and they said I had made a 'mistake' before I went on holiday and they were taking me out of my role and turning me into a glorified tea lady, where I would just answer the phones and do nothing else:

"Waste of space Solutions, Billy Hopeless Speaking, How can i help you?"

They said they would keep me on and see if my work improved, but they didnt think it would.

As anyone with my skills and talent would do, I resigned, and got a job about a week later for nearly twice the money and less hassle.

A few months later the company shed half its staff, and out sourced the rest to india or somewhere. Talking about the experience with a friend we came up with an interesting theory. Bare with me, I know this is getting boring but...

The theory goes like this: The company knows its in trouble, owes money or whatever, needs to shed staff, but cant afford to pay redundancies, and have no real grounds to sack anyone, so they make things uncomfortable for the staff so they resign. That way they don't need to pay redundancies and manage to stay in operation a little bit longer.

Call me cynical but I would bet something similar is happening in your place. Start looking for another job. Despite what RTE tells you, IT, in this country is still very VERY strong, and it should not be too difficult to get another one, if your in IT. If you are not, let us know what industry you are in, and maybe someone here can help you.

If a company does do that, they could be leaving themselves open for constructive dismissal

Advertisement