Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Depreciation in car value after a crash?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

A woman crashed into my parked car last week, nad admitted liability. Her insurance company have agreed to pay to repair the car, estimated at €5000 damage but as a friend pointed out to me even after the repairs my car will have lost a lot of value as it will have been in a crash, any ideas if im entitled to compensation from the insurance company also? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its possible but it would depend on the car and also the damage incurred

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

What car and year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I was told 10-12% of the value of the repair last week by an assessor. We are in a similar situation after our Passat was hit.

Their arguement is that the car wont depreciate any more than normal if its repaired using genuine parts and by a reputable repairer.

You are looking at about 500 euro for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, it's normally around 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Kafer wrote: »
    Their arguement is that the car wont depreciate any more than normal if its repaired using genuine parts and by a reputable repairer.

Aye +1 on that.

I wouldn't see a problem with a car if it was crashed, as long as it was done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Aye +1 on that.

I wouldn't see a problem with a car if it was crashed, as long as it was done right.

....of course you wouldn't, as a seller........and a petrol head :D

However, Joe and Josephine Soap wouldn't touch one - irrespective. 20% would be a minimum, I'd say.

Don't believe me ? See here, post #7.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055487321

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Someone backed into my wife's Golf recently - small damage to both doors - I asked her to mention a depreciation allowance when the assessor when he came out to look at it - all she got was a blank look as if he didnt know what she was talking about. In fairness the amount of damage was minimal and was fixed by a main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

10% +/- 2% is generally the accepted figure in the insurance game for additional depreciation to a vehicle after being involved in a crash and repaired, that they will pay out....
    you have to ask and push for it, but it is available....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Aye +1 on that.

Problem is most car dealers will. Fathers in laws new car was rear ended a few weeks after he go it, car is now only 2 years old, dealer said he would have to knock €1k off the trade in price because of the accident damage, even through that main dealer fixed the car.

With saying that, the other guys insurance paid out no problem and even sent the cheque for depreciation without the FIL asking or even knowing about it.

Some insurance companies will not give it if the car is over a certain age, i think 4 years old. Sure ask anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

The car was 06 Renault Laguna with a market value of about €14500, There was €5000 worth of damage done to it, thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Problem is most car dealers will. Fathers in laws new car was rear ended a few weeks after he go it, car is now only 2 years old, dealer said he would have to knock €1k off the trade in price because of the accident damage, even through that main dealer fixed the car.

Really? Sounds a bit odd, although i don't think i've come across alot of people who genuinely told us the car wash crashed. Wouldn't knock off 1k either unless it was very badly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Really? Sounds a bit odd, although i don't think i've come across alot of people who genuinely told us the car wash crashed. Wouldn't knock off 1k either unless it was very badly done.

Well it was the dealers he purchased the car from, so they would have known that it was crashed as they were also the people who repaired it. It did take a bad rear ending. He would have told them anyway as he is a honest person. I will also tell them myself if it was me trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I got 10% of the repair cost, though apparently it should be on the ex-VAT cost.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MrPudding wrote: »
    I got 10% of the repair cost, though apparently it should be on the ex-VAT cost.

MrP

LOL, now they're putting VAT on crashes too ?? :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Robbing b@stards don't you know..

MrP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Car has to be under 4 years old to avail of depreciation compensation according to my insurance company. Some scumbag in a robbed motor hit mine a few months back and the bill came to over €6k. Claimed through the insurance company who claimed it from the MIBI, but was told no depreciation allowance for me as it's an '03 motor. Had to pay the excess as well.

Advertisement