Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to extend wifi range with another router

Options
  • 12-02-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys I would really appreciate everyones help on this thanks :)

OK so i have the netopia 2247nwg (2247-02) modem router and I also have a netgear wgr614v7 router which doesn't have a modem built in.

The back of my house doesn't get very good signal, and what I want to do is use the netgear router as an extension for my netopia one.
    I want to do this wirelessly though and have them acting as if the netgear is another antenna like on the back of the netopia.

I have been told that this is possible, that I can change the settings on the netgear to pick up the netopia signal and send it out again as if it WAS the netopia...... But I haven't got a clue and can't find anything on the internet.

Like I said I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate any help you can give me and if you need more details just ask.

THNK YOU :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I had a quick look at the manual and I don't think this is possible. You could run cat5 to it but I know you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I think you would need to get a wireless access point.

Here's the idea:

You can get an idea as to what's available & price range HERE:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I think you would need to get a wireless access point.

-

A wireless access point that can act as a client as well. Most A/Ps don't seem to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

You'd probably need to use AP WDS or Bridge WDS but I don't think the Netopia or the Netgear support that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I agree that you would likely need to get something that offered wireless repeater functionality.

However, if you can manage to link them together with Ethernet cable, you could probably use what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

*hello* wrote: »
    Hey guys I would really appreciate everyones help on this thanks :)

OK so i have the netopia 2247nwg (2247-02) modem router and I also have a netgear wgr614v7 router which doesn't have a modem built in.

The back of my house doesn't get very good signal, and what I want to do is use the netgear router as an extension for my netopia one.
    I want to do this wirelessly though and have them acting as if the netgear is another antenna like on the back of the netopia.

I have been told that this is possible, that I can change the settings on the netgear to pick up the netopia signal and send it out again as if it WAS the netopia...... But I haven't got a clue and can't find anything on the internet.

Like I said I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate any help you can give me and if you need more details just ask.

THNK YOU :)

Its called WDS and doesnt work between different brands of modem, linksys to linksys works but linksys to buffalo doesnt for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Don't think you can do that with the native software on the router. I have a linksys wrt54g and I replaced the firmware on it with this

Then i was able to configure it as a client of another wireless router. You need to be very careful you don't brick your router though.

Advertisement