Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a dressing changed?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hope this is ok to post here, i couldnt think of anywhere more suitbale.

i have a badly damaged left wrist from an accident about 18 months ago and had an ortroscopy on monday.
    i was told to chage the dressing on friday (tomorrow).
    i was so out of it from the aneasthtic and pethidine that i didnt get proper info on what i will find under the, surprisingly large, bandage.
    i will be on my own tomorrow so dont want to change the dressing without help in case i run into difficulty (being sort of one haneded ;))

does anyone know if a pharmacy would be able to help me? i think boots in the UK do it, or should i just go to see my gp?

thnaks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Hi there,
    When i had to get dressings changed on a continual basis last year i was given the option of either going to my public health nurse (well actually she came to me cos i couldn't walk), or going to the dressing clinic in the hospital. I'd recommend the public health nurse if that would be possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks for your reply.

ive never used a public health nurse before, do you think itwould be possible to arrange that for tomorrow?
    would i just call the hse?

i cant really get to the hospital as it would cost around 90 in taxis so would be cheaper to go to my gp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unless you have a referral, you have to pay for dressings in hospital (the usual outpatients fee).

It really isn't very difficult to change the dressings to be honest- any pharmacy will have some suitable small wound pads, gauze and dressings.

It is difficult changing a dressing with only one hand- I'd suggest getting help.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks,

just 2 things, im not sure what im changing as the dressing is about the size of a foream cast and is meant to be just 2 incisions and i cant get any help tomorrow as im on my own.

so my question really is, will the phamracy help me, or should i just go the doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

subway wrote: »
    thanks,

just 2 things, im not sure what im changing as the dressing is about the size of a foream cast and is meant to be just 2 incisions and i cant get any help tomorrow as im on my own.

so my question really is, will the phamracy help me, or should i just go the doctor?

you know what - pop into your pharmacy tomorrow and have a chat with them - they are bound to have dealt with this before. If you have to go to a doc, at least they'll tell you for sure, and it'll be free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Go to the pharmacy - if that one can't help you, they should be able to recommend one that will. I injured my wrist recently and went in to the pharmacy to get a prescribed antibiotic for it - they insisted on dressing it for me and told me to come back every single day to get it changed, and even rang me when I skipped a day!! Weird how some people get their kicks ...

Advertisement