Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPC training rip off

Options
  • 12-02-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Finally, five months late, the government have introduced the compulsory annual CPC training course for bus drivers. An EU requirement, and a good thing.

But it will cost €195 for a seven hour briefing. Every year.

Same training in the UK costs £25 stg.

€195 does not equate to £25 stg, or remotely near it.

Another great Irish RIP OFF, on a grand scale. Multiply by the number of bus drivers in the country...

Can anyone here explain WHY it costs at least SEVEN TIMES as much as the UK???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Finally, five months late, the government have introduced the compulsory annual CPC training course for bus drivers. An EU requirement, and a good thing.

But it will cost €195 for a seven hour briefing. Every year.

Same training in the UK costs £25 stg.

€195 does not equate to £25 stg, or remotely near it.

Another great Irish RIP OFF, on a grand scale. Multiply by the number of bus drivers in the country...

Can anyone here explain WHY it costs at least SEVEN TIMES as much as the UK???

Would it be OK to do it in the UK? Just a hop up north and loads of cheap booze to make up the extra money.

Bit shocking all the same. Is there many companies doing it or is it only DTTS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SteQ

Breakdown of costs to cpc trainers, Premises per day €200+, Plus books €20 per student, Plus trainer per day €300, Plus lunch €15 per student if a course is fully subscribed eg 16 people the costs can be reduced however if there is only say 5 on a course x €195= €975 less costs @ € 675 leaves € 300 out of that may come extra expenses, so how a company can do it for £25.00 is beyond me. hope this helps. Number of companies currently approved in Ireland is 20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect in the UK, due to the scale of the country, those offering it have permament premises (cheaper than day rental) and permanent trainers (significantly cheaper than day hire); as well as general economies of scale.

£25 sounds very low, more like a test fee than training, but a very quick google found (first result!) a full course for under £110.

£ 110 is more like it, as things stand everything is just starting with regards to cpc. I am sure as the market moves forward with this the prices will come down. I know of 2 companies quoting €165 that is €30 less than the €195 mentioned in an earlier post. My advise is shop around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I did the first part of my driver CPC a few weeks back.

Is there an actual sylla"bus" for the CPC?

Sounds more like a money making exercise along the way.

I suppose in the company I work for, we were all getting a day's overtime out of the course as well. Not everyone would be that fortunate.

• Advertisement

Yes there is a syllabus that has to be followed most companies advertising cpc training have it on there sites also the RSA have it on there site this is a europe wide scheme to keep prodrivers up to date.

Advertisement