Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email addresses - gathering a list from enquiries

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am not sure if this is the correct forum (Mods please move if not) but here goes.

I monitor the sales@ email address on our site and reply with the relevent requests for information. I am now looking at compiling a newsletter, once a quarter or something and would like to add these people to it so here are my qeustions.

Can I add them to a mail list as they have requested info from us already or would that be considered spam. The newsletter will have an opt out link etc for them to be removed if they wish from recieveing any further newsletters.

Secondly, is there a way I can run a filter on my outlook to pull these email addresses out of a specific folder without manually having to go to each one and cut and paste they email address one at a time? There would be around 1,000 or so over the past year. So it would be nice to get them into excel so that I could filter or remove duplicates and add additional info.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's a difference between contacting those who have made a sales enquiry to subscribing them up to a newsletter. Although I have seen many people do this.

On one hand I can understand from your point of view why you would want to compile them into a list, but they haven't signed up to a newsletter so it would be regarded as spam (unless they are publicly listed business email addresses)

When they contacted your sales@ address, did you specify any privacy policy/t&c's ?

Regarding exporting the Outlook email addresses, you can use the export to CSV tool - File > Import & Export > Export to file > CSV (Windows)

From there you can map certain fields which you want carried over, obviously email address, but having firstname / lastname also helps.

Once it's into csv, you can use excel to manipulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

Thanks - I think I'll go through them manually and use those that have asked to be updated with any deals or news rather than just add them all.

The export function will help speed up the process as I can just delete the ones that aren't interested. Will have a play with the export function and see how I get on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good idea, the thing to remember is that it's quality over quantity when dealing with email lists - and those who have opted in, leave you with a lower risk of being blocked and marked as spam by email filters as well as a higher chance of converting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the people are requesting information via your site using a form, then it shouldn't be too hard to include something on the form about subbing them to the newsletter

In any case, if you do send them your newsletter make it easy for them to unsubscribe - making people jump through hoops to get off a newsletter is not a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Timbo07

you can send them an email letting them know you are going to be sending out an e-letter and if they want to receive it reply yes to this email. If they dont reply then you got your answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement