Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dubai

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Thinking about moving to Dubai. I've been there before on holidays and really liked it. With the added bonus of a tax free salary and year long sunshine is another pulling factor!

But I hear all sorts of different stories that things have slowed down alot and a lot of people have been let go etc... on the other hand there still seems to be alot of construction over there at the moment.

Does anybody know if there's any work in engineering available over there?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Have a look here for discussion on Dubai; http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Have a read of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Im just back from Dubai a month ago

I go there twice a year as my sister lives there

and this time was SO different

the buzz is almost completely gone

and all the construction is kinda useless

they're still workin on Dubai Mall, and expanding Mall of Emirates, then building another 3 malls, for the craic

Also, a good few more apartments goin up

Stupid tho, since the shops are empty, almost everywhere

A lot of ex-pats actually just packed their bags, drove to airport, and left their keys in their cars

Its changed so much already and it'll only get worse

You may have a bit of extra look with engineering, but the whole country in general is indeed spiralling down

Also, they're in debt with oil. they bought loads cos they thought the price would sky-rocket again, but it didnt

Then theres all the other things to factor in

Most of the people are perves, esp at the beaches. They have no modesty in blatantly staring at you, esp with woman

and in the summer, the weather can get almost unbearably hot, with temps as high as 55, and almost 100% humidity

Drivers are nuts. its a death wish every time you go on the roads, its so bad its actually rediculous

But apart from all that [:P] its a decent place to live if none of the above bothers you

• Registered Users Posts: 26 romunn

Thanks for the replies....its not looking too good over there. I'll have to pick another destination, need to get out of this place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

romunn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies....its not looking too good over there. I'll have to pick another destination, need to get out of this place!!

Romunn,

I live in Dubai, if its work you want forget it, this mornings news carried results of a Survey saying that one third of ex pats expect to have leave within 3 months,

I lost my job in February but had started looking for a new job in December, and finally started a job 2 weeks ago in Abu Dhabi, and its only temporary, with the potential to become permenant if I perform well.
    I have to drive everyday taking up to two hours each way(along with tens of thousands of others), cause there is almost always a traffic problem at one end or the other...

they are reducing Salaries everywhere, and the cost of living is enormous, but on the bright side with so many leaving the rents have actually halved in 6 months.

my advice stay away, try looking at Qatar or malaysia, although they are getting flooded by the Dubai Escapees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

:eek:

in the few minutes since the previous post, three of my friends have called to tell me that they have been fired,

so once again avoid Dubai

Advertisement