Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Clonmel? - Where do you live?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am looking at the prospect of working in Clonmel in the near future, and as such I am now looking into where I would like to live/rent in the region.

I don't know what Clonmel is like so perhaps someone on here could let me know. I understand it is a big town but I am not sure if I would like to work and live in the same town - maybe sounds a bit strange.

I don't mind commuting and would travel up to an hour to and from work no problem. I am from the north of the country so the Dublin side of Clonmel would be preferable but not essential.

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts and recommendations!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I know this isn't what you want to hear but why would you be willing to spend 2 hours in your car everyday driving to and from work when you could pick somewhere much closer and have more time to do stuff ?

Do you want to live in a city (Kilkenny, Waterford) ?

I think that you either live 15 minutes from Clonmel or else you live an hour from there and move to one of the bigger cities.
    Moterway is planned between Clonmel and Waterford and most of the road is pretty good.

Soon enough Cork city will be an hour from Clonmel so your choices are pretty big :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

Hi,

have to agree with Ponster, why commute for ages when you have a choice of cities to live in? Where I live in Kilkenny it's 15 mins to Kilkenny city and less than 30 mins to Clonmel and under 2 hrs to Dublin, the road is great all the way, this is not me flaunting Kilkenny, being from Waterford, I'm i'm definitely not biased. Waterford is not that far either to travel but the roads aren't as good as Kilkenny and Waterford is just as good as Kilkenny :D:p It'd be about the same to commute to Clonmel.

If you have a family the less the commute the better or if single the closer to the night life the better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

You really dont state what your looking for in the place. Theres plenty of villages close by that might suit if you could elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

tipp86 wrote: »
    You really dont state what your looking for in the place. Theres plenty of villages close by that might suit if you could elaborate

This man is on the tourism board for ballylooby, a plug here is just not necessary imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

anywhere but carrick on suir tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Kilsheelan Village is about 5 miles from Clonmel..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yep,Kilsheelan would be he place to go,nice and quiet,on the main road to Clonmel,Waterford, limerick.40 mins from Kilkenny,new housing estate there with houses to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

Ok so I will be relocating to the Clonmel area in about 6 weeks time and what I am looking for in a town/area to relocate to is as follows;

- A town/area with good bars/restaurants.
    - Not too quiet and close to night life.
    - Within 1/2 hour of Clonmel (when I said an hour in my original post I think I was getting carried away;)).
    - The Kilkenny side of the town is preferable as I will be travelling to Dublin quite often.

Can somebody also give me an opinion on living in Clonmel as well.

Cheers all!

2rs, you'll have to either live in Clonmel or in Kilkenny. There isn't anywhere in between big enough to have good bars/restaurants and night life.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

tippspur wrote: »
    Yep,Kilsheelan would be he place to go,nice and quiet,on the main road to Clonmel,Waterford, limerick.40 mins from Kilkenny,new housing estate there with houses to rent.

have to agree its everything your looking for minus the nightlife...but thats what clonmel is there for:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

coffey-16 wrote: »
    have to agree its everything your looking for minus the nightlife...but thats what clonmel is there for:P
    Exactly,you'd be in town in a taxi in less than 10mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

No No No !!!! OMG,

If you are traveling to dublin frequently then the Kilkenny side is the wrong side !!!

you need to be on the cashel road ( to get to the main cork -dublin motor way ) or on the west side ( Ballingrane ) to get to Cahir to get onto the main cork dublin motorway ! equal distnce both routes. Going through Kilkenny will add 40 minutes to your Journey

( clonmel native since 1850's ! )

Cahir might be best so only 15 minutes from Clonmel.

Plenty of decent pubs.

Eating out wise it has italian, chinesse, Indian and Irish restauraunts to offer.

You are also only a 15euro taxi from clonmel if nightlife there is what you want.

Regards Dublin you are only 5 minutes from the Dublin - Cork motorway wherever you life in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wondering

ckarsenal wrote: »
    anywhere but carrick on suir tbh

called for intervirew for a job in carrick on suir. whats the place like? I would have to move there or its surrounds and would be travelling back to limerick for wknds.

wondering wrote: »
    called for intervirew for a job in carrick on suir. whats the place like? I would have to move there or its surrounds and would be travelling back to limerick for wknds.

Live in Clonmel, work in Carrick.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Some people would describe it as a tough town.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Carrick is grand. Lived here all my life & never had one bit of bother. It has a bad name for some reason, but anyone who ever comes to visit always comes back. That said, it does have a couple of rough areas & a couple of rough pubs, but for the majority of the time its a great place to live. There are plenty of things to do as it's only a 20 minutes drive to Waterford. Clonmel is 10 times worse but the local paper is based there & they tend to focus on trouble in Carrick so as not to make Clonmel look so bad.

?

Carrick is one of the most depressed towns in Ireland.
    High employement. Low expectations.

There are several threads about Carrick on Boards. Search to find 'em.

Ponster wrote: »

ok i get the picture, but from stats that i have found on clonmel, the town seams to share the same trait, maybe not to the same extent though.

whats Cahir like to live in?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »

ok i get the picture, but from stats that i have found on clonmel, the town seams to share the same trait, maybe not to the same extent though.

whats Cahir like to live in?

What stats?

Cahir is fine, a little small maybe. Not a whole lot of social activities besides pubs (no cinema for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Try and live in clonmel if ya can, as the other surrounding towns are all lacking in a bit of something!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Clonmel is the largest inland town in ireland...hence the nightlife and town bustle exceed the relativly smaller carrick and smaller again cahir.

clonmel has high employment , always has, and was know as the town that knew no recessions, whereas carrick was an employment blackspot...cahir has a very smelly protein procssing plant that stinks the place out in summer.

the higher population and employment of clonmel gives the town greater bustle.

clonmel is also well centered for the comeragh mountains and outdoor hiking etc.

a word of advice.... be mobile in clonmel....the location in a valley during high summer gives rise to hayfever sufferering, and higher humidity and tramore or clonea beach is 30-40 minutes away,

however during autumn enjoy the smell of apples bieng crushed for cider making near the town center ( mitchel street).

(residdent since 1914 )

michael196 wrote: »
    (residdent since 1914 )

Things changed much since 1914 ?

0801041.jpg

The 1798 statue looks a lot newer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Wow..a picture of the 98 man as a boy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 stupidsometimes

If you are going to be working in Carrick but don't want to live there it is a short commute from the likes of Portlaw, Fiddown and Piltown.

Its not too far from Mooncoin or Waterford City either

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Any of ye ever get caught climbing the 98 man after a few too many??

• Advertisement
Advertisement