Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial Sewing Machine Wanted.

Options
  • 12-02-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone here can tell me where I can source a supplier of second-hand industrial sewing machines. My wife is a fantastic dress maker, she can make anything from a picture and has made some beautiful wedding dresses from scratch. However, when the kids started school, she decided to get a "proper job"!

I know she'd love to get back to sewing again, and she always said she'd like to get an industrial sewing machine, but the price of these can be huge!

So I'm on a mission! I want to get her a machine, as a surprise, but don't know where to start!? I've heard her speak highly of the Brother range of machines, as she has used these before, so ideally I'd like to get one of these.

I travel a lot between Letterkenny and Carlow, but I'd be willing to travel anywhere (in Ireland!) for the right machine/offer.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lily marlene

I bought a fantastic industrial brother sewing machine from a guy called Billy Moore. He trades as WM sewing machines and is based in Derry. The one I bought was new but he also deals in second hand. Inishowen is full of second hand industrial machines due to factory closures. machinists were given the option to purchase their machines which lots did. If you opt for one of these make sure the motor has been changed to single phase as they would have been 3 phase.
    Most of these machines are missing their attachments(feet etc) but these can be bought from the guy I mentioned.
    Most weeks there will be one for sale in the dealer out thursdays in Letterkenny you can also place wanted adds there.
    If I can offer any advice just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thanks Lily, I've been checking the dealer since xmas, but no joy. Only domestic machines lately. I'll have to search for WM Sewing Machines, do you have his address or a contact number for him?
    As a matter of interest, how expensive was the Brother machine you bought?

Thanks larianne for pointing out my mistake re telephone numbers.

mrmac
    I have a couple of numbers regarding industrial machines but cannot yet message you due to insufficient posts.
    I should also point out that I also have a singer industrial machine and see no difference in performance or reliability compared to the brother one.
    Think I paid around 900-950 stg for the machine from wm sewing machines. This included delivery and first service.

Hi Lily, thanks for getting back to me.
    There's no problem listing business details on this thread, you don't have to post a PM.
    It's only members personal details, like mobile numbers etc. that should be kept to PMs.

Is Billy Moore anything to the Moores Fabric shop that used to be in Derry?

I also agree, there really is no difference between Brother & Singer machines, it's just that my wife has used Brother machines in the past, so that's why I'd choose one.

no connection between billy moore and moores fabric which incidently is gone.
    number for WM sewing services is 04871329782.
    Had my post edited last night but I did put the private number of a local mechanic on it. He apparently would know of anyone selling a machine.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lily. Yeah Moores is long gone, pity, my OH found it very useful.
    Do you know of any other places similiar to Moores?

I'll give Brian a call tomorrow.
    I came across two other firms in the Golden Pages, one in Claudy and one in Dungiven. I'll give them a call as well.

Thanks again.

Paddy Murphy owns a shop called fabric world. He bought all Moores stock and has since expanded the range. His shop is in the old tillie and henderson factory, city side of the craigavon bridge. Great range of dress and bridal fabrics and all the bits and bobs also. hours of fun if its your thing:)

Yep, we've been there loads of times. Completely forgot it was there! Last time we where there it only really had curtain material, so good to hear it's expanded.

Lily - spoke with Billy today - sound guy. He works from home now, and his number has changed to 048 71313895. He's going to get me some prices, and he's going to have a look at a domestic machine I need repaired.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

The singer store on Talbot street in Dublin always has a few second hand industrial machines. Good after service too. Went back and bought an overlocker there later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

There's the place on Mountjoy Square in Dublin as well but for the life of me I cannot remember the name. If you were standing outside it, facing the door and looked to the right, you'd be looking towards the gates of the bus depot. It's also a fabric shop so any of ye who are regular sewers probably know the name. If it comes back to me or I find a receipt with the name on it I'll post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Misty Moon wrote: »
    There's the place on Mountjoy Square in Dublin as well but for the life of me I cannot remember the name. If you were standing outside it, facing the door and looked to the right, you'd be looking towards the gates of the bus depot. It's also a fabric shop so any of ye who are regular sewers probably know the name. If it comes back to me or I find a receipt with the name on it I'll post again.

That would be TWI's I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mickeythemonkey

Are you still looking for a sewing machine?
    As i have 2 brother industrial sewing machines modle number DB2 B755 and an overlocker

Advertisement