Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Chance Saloon for Comreg

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom have for a long time beeen in gross breach of pretty much every Reference Offer that they have themselves published on their wholesale site .

They have bundled their voice/bb/line rental and cross subsidised and unfairly distorted pretty well every single market they dominate in the one go.

First bb/lr , then bb/ lr/voice then bb/lr/voice/mobile

Comreg , astonishingly , did absolutely nothing about this .

Today they admitted that they finally noticed and published a piss weak notice on their website ...here

If this situation is not remedied forthwith and if SERIOUS fines are not levied for this long term egregious breach on multiple levels then there is no justification whatsoever for Comreg continuing to exist .

BT Ireland are pulling out of the residential market because of this kind of behaviour by eircom and because of the implicit 'market support ' provided to eircom by an inept , unprincipled and useless regulator .

Lets see if Comreg run the numbers on the Vodafone@Home package next . I cannot understand how this package is structured within published Ref Offers and inside the terms of published Market Analysis .

Christ know what sort of chicanery Comreg will allow ...by its inaction.... when eircom 3G finally launches and the more cross subsidiation occurs as bundles are lashed together :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BT Ireland are pulling out of the residential market

Are they?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If Eircom didn't owe 4.6Billion, they would be the ONLY DSL operator making real significant profit. at least x10 what BT can make from DSL.

I wonder when ALL costs and overheads are taken into account is any DSL other than eircom inherently profitable, or making more than a few euro per customer per year. It would thus not surprise me if BT pulls out of residential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT Is pulling out of Residential , yes . That is what spurred Comreg to make the bleating noises this morning .

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=2353953;s=rollingnews.htm

Now Comreg feels that maybe they should really look into these various market distortions properly . It is probably too late ALREADY .
    Telecom giant BT is set to give up its efforts to build a domestic subscriber business in the Republic, according to a weekend report. It is now trying to offload the business, the Sunday Times reports.

BT has around 80,000 residential customers in the state, most of which it inherited when it bought Esat in the year 2000.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    [/FONT] The paper says both Vodafone and O2 are now contenders to buy the home customer business, with Vodafone seens as the most likely buyer.
    Vodafone bought the landline and broadband supplier Perlico in 2007, and came close to buying Smart Telecom.
    The paper estimates that BT's residential business might fetch close to 40m euro in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Who's to say that BT wouldn't have pulled out regardless of Comreg's lack of action? I'd imagine their continued investment in LLU would be a pretty big burden at times like these. Though I do agree with the sentiment that Comreg need to get up off their holes and do some work.

One thing that I am a little surprised about is how little it's worth, 80k residential and I'm sure a decent bunch of business customers from the Esat day's, not to mention their LLU exchanges and Fibre trunk. Time to look under the mattress for a few euro's I'd say :P

• Advertisement

The 80K residential is a database, probably not really profit making.

They arn't selling the Fibre and exchanges AFAIK, just the Residential.
    Vodafone paid a bit much IMO @85M for the Perlico reseller who had lost 17M the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

watty wrote: »
    The 80K residential is a database, probably not really profit making.

They arn't selling the Fibre and exchanges AFAIK, just the Residential.
    Vodafone paid a bit much IMO @85M for the Perlico reseller who had lost 17M the previous year.

I don't really see why they would bother selling the market share and not the equipment or selling them separately since a lot of the 80k are dependent on the equipment. Would definitely be a dark day for consumers if a company with the financial and overall clout of BT left the market with their tail between their legs. Very much agreed on overpriced Perlico.

Almost all are on bitstream?

LLU in a non-BT exchange is no better than Bitstream for operator profits.
    How many LLU are eircom exchanges and how many real BT exchanges are there?

In present climate why would someone with profitable markets keep marginal or loss making sections? BT profits are down.

Advertisement