Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for getting used to my first shortboard?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

recently got a shortboard. Well it's not that short , it's just over 7 foot, but it's a big step down from the 10ft longboard I've been using all along.

I bit the bullet and got it, in order for me to get my finger out!!

I haven't been down surfing for a few months now, so it's going to be a tough day when I take it out, hopefully over the next few weeks.

I managed the 10ft pretty well. I had no problem standing up etc.
    I've also surfed an 8ft no problem as well.

The one big advantage is how light the board I have is compared to the plank I had..

So, apart from practicing my pop ups at home until I get down to the sea, any other tips for me so I can hit the ground running, and not have everyone laughing at me trying to get used to a shorter board..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

best advice : spend time with it in the water ... Paddling , finding the sweet spot for sitting on your board etc.... Thats the only advice I can give

Best of luck with the new board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I suppose the answer is obvious really isn't it: get in the water.

I've been keeping fit and doing plenty of push ups, so I hope it all stands to me..

I must not fail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

where you based ?? I have a 7'3 malibu in my quiver

love it to bits ....

Limerick.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with a short board, but feck it, I'll give it a lash

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Iv been learning to surf on a 7.4 mini mal for the last 6 months or so. I got a 7.2 "short" board recently and found it very easy to use. Pity its so cold these days though, hard to motivate myself!!

• Advertisement

before it was a b*tch, cos I had to get the longboard up on the roof, then I sold the van, so had no rack on a car, now I can slip the board into the car and away I go...can't wait..!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

A trick I was taught to practic getting up when there are no waves is to make a mound (with sand) approx 3 foot high, put your board balancing on the top with you lying on it, and to jump up in one movment without the board sliding back or forwards. If the board does slide, try be on your feet before it reachs the bottom of the mound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

...finding the sweet spot for sitting on your board

How does that help?... Genuinely curious! Always thought you just sat on your board to be cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

How does that help?
    You get a better view of the sets coming in when you are sitting up, where they are likely to break, how big they are, break direction, etc and position yourself in best spot accordingly. Also, you will be more aware of others in the water and avoid getting in their way if they have caught a wave before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

I might get shot down for this 1 but I've found it's helped me with balance in every aspect in what I do. Get a swiss ball like they have in the gym and learn to stand on it , if you can do that you'll be able to balance on anything, only problem is you need a matted area to fall onto which I have where I train. It's helped me alot, I only started doing this last summer when I changed my board from a 7'6 to 6'4.

• Advertisement

haha. I sold the board since. Think I bit off more than I can chew. So I'm going to go for a mal, maybe something around the 7ft 6 mark, and make some headway with that...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

seachto7 wrote: »
    haha. I sold the board since.

How far along were you with your 8ft board? Strikes me that if you couldnt manage a 7ft + fish, you couldnt have been catching too many waves on larger boards if you found it that hard to get used to the fish.

According to most of the surf lit, if your pop and balance are right you should be able to step down to your next board without much difficulty at all. Perhaps work on your form rather than the length of your board and you might get more out of it.

K-

Kell wrote: »
    How far along were you with your 8ft board? Strikes me that if you couldnt manage a 7ft + fish, you couldnt have been catching too many waves on larger boards if you found it that hard to get used to the fish.

According to most of the surf lit, if your pop and balance are right you should be able to step down to your next board without much difficulty at all. Perhaps work on your form rather than the length of your board and you might get more out of it.

K-

It was a mates 8ft I took out from time to time. It wasn't as easy obviously as the longboard, but I still managed to catch quite a few waves each session I used it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Think I bit off more than I can chew. So I'm going to go for a mal, maybe something around the 7ft 6 mark, and make some headway with that...

Selling it was the right first move but get yerself a 9' performance longboard. Will allow a greater range of surfing than some wafer thin pointy javelin plus it'll cover you for the summer months more so then anything sub 8foot. Less sitting around in the way of others and a greater wave count.

Advertisement