Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paddle gloves- can they be used for surfing

Options
  • 12-02-2009 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm about to order a pair of gloves and I spotted these:

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/billabong-neo-paddle-gloves-i3221.html
    I presume they will help me catch waves a bit easier and keep my hands warm? Is they any reason not to get them and just get the usual ones? I know they're only 2mm but since I'm used to grinning and bearing it with the cold anyway I don't think that will be too much of a problem.
    Can you still grip the board etc. with your hands?

thanks

D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Don't waste your money, the gloves increased surface area means more resistance which cuts your stroke rate in half. Not to mention they kill your arms and strain your back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

ok. would you get more power in a stroke though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Not really.

The increaded surface area lets you propell yourself forward more but the decreased speed as a result will slow your paddling speed.

Used them a couple of times then switched back to no gloves. Found no gloves was better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Get gloves.
    Not these webbed ones though, they look daft.
    One downside I found to using gloves is they're harsh on the eyes (eyelids) when wiping water off, constantly doing this and the cold salt water doesn't help. Picked up a bit of a rash from it myself last winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

c - 13 wrote: »
    Not really.

The increaded surface area lets you propell yourself forward more but the decreased speed as a result will slow your paddling speed.

Used them a couple of times then switched back to no gloves. Found no gloves was better for me.

ok at this point I will just get the regular gloves - it seems to be an opinion of everyone who has them that the webbed ones aren't great. I'm just asking this out of lack of understanding really. I presume when you say decreased speed you are referring to the speed of your hand passing through the water. why exactly is this a problem? I would have thought that wearing webbed gloves was analogous to wearing flippers on your feet. you move faster for less work as each stroke is more efficient. while each stroke may be more tiring you would get more thrust out of it anyway.
    like I said this is just what I would have thought and I presume I am wrong as people who use them don't report this result. I am just wondering why this doesn't play put in practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

While what your saying is correct in theory I personally found that i got more thrust from padding faster (no gloves) than with more surface area (paddle gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I'd say its kinda like a 2 handed paddle I guess, which is good for the last stroke or 2 to get into the wave, it'll give you more thrust on each stroke but it won't be constant enough to keep the board planeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Sorry, dragging up an oldish thread here,

I'm a complete newbie to surfing and I'm looking at buying gloves. I know my size and I wnat a 3mm pair.

I saw these : http://www.kingofwatersports.com/oneill-sector-3mm-glove-i818.html.
    They seem to be listed as Dive gloves. Why is this? Is it because of the velcro strap?

They have the following O'Neill glove in the wetsuit section: http://www.kingofwatersports.com/oneill-3mm-slx-gloves-i2836.html

I guess my question is what's the difference (if any)?
    Would I get away with the diving gloves for surfing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Firstly, I wouldn't bother with gloves at this time of year. The water is still nippy but its warming up rapidly (in fact I'd swear its warmer than the air this week) and gloves are more of a hindrance than a help unless you really need them to protect from the cold.

I reckon the "diving" gloves are probably described as such because they are thicker - I know this is true for wetsuits anyway. Diving suits tend to be thicker and restrict your movements more. If you do want to buy gloves, I'd personally go for thinner ones.

cornbb wrote: »
    Firstly, I wouldn't bother with gloves at this time of year. The water is still nippy but its warming up rapidly (in fact I'd swear its warmer than the air this week) and gloves are more of a hindrance than a help unless you really need them to protect from the cold.

I reckon the "diving" gloves are probably described as such because they are thicker - I know this is true for wetsuits anyway. Diving suits tend to be thicker and restrict your movements more. If you do want to buy gloves, I'd personally go for thinner ones.

Thanks for response, but if both gloves are 3mm, wouldn't they be the same thickness?
    Agreed on foregoing gloves for summer, just thought I'd pick 'em up for the cold winter while I was spending cash on other equipment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Surrender wrote: »
    Thanks for response, but if both gloves are 3mm, wouldn't they be the same thickness?
    Agreed on foregoing gloves for summer, just thought I'd pick 'em up for the cold winter while I was spending cash on other equipment anyway.

You're right, i didn't spot that. I guess maybe its a marketing move then, unless someone else here knows otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The diving gloves have a kevlar palm and fingers. I don't think that's much use for surfing . Surf gloves will have rubber pads for grip and I'd say are much more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

By the way, I bought the 2nd ones (the oneill) and I think they're very good although they are only the 2nd type I've used.

I tried surfing last weekend without gloves and I thought my hands were going to get frostbitten...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I tried surfing last weekend without gloves and I thought my hands were going to get frostbitten...

However about a hood, my hands really suffer. I have yet to buy a pair but I have to...the pain of the cold. Water temp is def changing though so probably won't bother with them for a while yet.

Thanks folks for advice, I'll get the O'Neills I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Stay away from the Kevlar ones....

Only for diving. You will tear the face off yourself and there is no grip with em!

(Kevlar prevent urchins and rocks tearing throught the palm of gloves... not really needed for surfing....unless)

Advertisement