Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

log book/ nct question

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I know this has probably been covered a million times but my question is this.............................

Bought a car last month in Belfast and paid vrt on it the next day. Taxed and insured her all asap (all that week) and was told by the guy when I v.r.t'd it that the log book would be in the post. while I was waiting i called into my local NCT centre to inquire about the next step for getting it NCT'D. iTS a 2005 reg by the way. I was told that when I get the logbook that they will " enter me on the system" and a date will be arranged for my test. Great stuff I thought. My problem is that my log book still hasnt arrived!!!

Is this normal??

Should I have it by now??

This morn I recieved notification from the NCT centre informing me of a provisonal appointment and to provide confirmation of my ability to attend on the date specified. Do I need my logbook for this????

What is a provisional appointment and what do i need to do??

Sorry if I appear clueless but thats because I actually am!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I have never been asked to produce a logbook when getting a car NCT'd although they may have changed their requirements. The fact that you are being called for a NCT sounds like the vehicle has been properly registered and you shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Perfectly normal. And, it get's better.

They still won't write to you to do an NCT once you do get the book - you'll have to go to them - there is no auto linkup between the Dept database and the NCT one - they have to add imports, manually :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Ok so i dont need the log book then. When should it arrive and why the delay???

I still dont know what a provisional nct test entails can anyone enlighten me?????

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    I still dont know what a provisional nct test entails can anyone enlighten me?????

Well, have you actually read the letter they send you? It says in the letter, that you have to confirm your provisional appointment, or it will be cancelled. Just ring 1890 412 413 to confirm your appointment, if you are happy with the time and date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Looking at a NCT letter here and it says you have to bring your logbook with you.

• Advertisement

getting there....................... slowly.....................

Log book hasnt arrived. Who do I contact to get it desorted or speeded up. ????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yeah it says you need to bring the logbook but they don't check it...or at least they didn't for me about two months ago, I remember because I spent ages looking for the thing before the test!

I appreciate that they "may" overlook the logbook but in the event that they dont CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO I CONTACT TO FIND OUT WHAT THE DELAY WITH MY LOGBOOK VLC IS?????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

You need to pay road tax on an import for Shannon to issue the logbook to you. (Sorry: I see you did. Might be no harm ringing the Dept. of the Environment and asking them what's going on).

I'm not sure why the NCT ask for this on their letter, I've never been asked for it and have taken plenty of cars for tests in the past few months and would think you'll be safe enough without it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your local tax office is where the Revenue told me to call when chasing a first issue log book. Mine managed to royally bugger up sending out mine.

you can check on motortaxonline if one has been issued recently - mine was issued fine but Naas MTO registered the car to the distributor not me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

Ive never been asked for the log either. But Id say it would be the department of transport in Shannon

Tel:(061) 365 000
    Locall:1890 411 412

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spree wrote: »
    Ive never been asked for the log either. But Id say it would be the department of transport in Shannon

Tel:(061) 365 000
    Locall:1890 411 412

Shannon sent me to Naas VRO who sent me to Naas MTO; obviously sub out Naas for the locals to each area!

Advertisement