Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Education Cutbacks

Options
  • 11-02-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0211/education.html

"The Department of Education is to cut special teacher support for over 500 primary school children with learning disabilities.

In all, 128 special teaching posts will be lost, affecting 534 children in 119 schools across the country. 80 of the schools are designated disadvantaged."

I am absolutely shocked by this news, the latest blow to hit the most vulnerable in society. What will happen these children who have until now been benefiting from special assistance? They will be forced to join ever increasing classes. Their progress will be stunted. Not to mention putting extra pressure on the already struggling teachers.. Having experience of both primary and secondary school teaching, I am aware of the benefit that children with special needs get from much needed resource and learning support classes. Not to mention the 128 teachers losing their jobs!!!!
    Where will it end???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think parents don't realise how this will hit all the children in a school, because if the teacher has to spend more time with some children, it will mean less time for others. Language support is nearly gone and now this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Yes all children will lose out in this instance.

Many of the deis schools have and extremely high number of non-national children who don't have English as their first language so the language support they receive is invaluable. It speeds up their progress. Put a few of these children into a mainstream class without the extra-help and the overall standard of the class will suffer.

Increasing class sizes and the cutbacks in this area will have disasterous repurcusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I was shocked when I heard this, just goes to show you what the Govt think of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

As with the medical card fiasco the more vunerable in society seem to be an easy target for this government.

The assistance these pupils receive in these classes is of immense benefit to these pupils and encourages them to attend & stay in school while enjoying it.

Years ago many such pupils just dropped out as they could not cope or keep up in the 'normal', overcrowded mainstream classes where the teacher was trying to cope with all needs and demands.

Not alone do the Special Needs pupils benefit from such classes but all pupils in the school benefit due to the fact that the teacher in the mainstream class has assistance from the Special Class teacher in designing and implementing a curriculum to suit the needs of such pupils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

J.R. wrote: »
    As with the medical card fiasco the more vunerable in society seem to be an easy target for this government.

This government has nothing but contempt for the more vulnerable in society. What could possibly be more inequitable than targeting cuts at already disadvantaged children. Putting additional pressure on parents and teachers. It wasn't as if this area was already well resourced.

This should be turned right back on the politicians. How can the government justify this miserly, callous, cutback; while making no move on reform of TDs and Senators "Pay, Perks and Pensions". They cannot be let away with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm absolutely sickened. This country is a joke. I would completely cut back my work load (trips, PTMs, after school club) and be out the door every day at 2:30 but I have to do my dip this year. It's fabulous to have such a huge workload this year and know I'm making less money than last year. Brilliant... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sickened. This country is a joke. I would completely cut back my work load (trips, PTMs, after school club) and be out the door every day at 2:30 but I have to do my dip this year. It's fabulous to have such a huge workload this year and know I'm making less money than last year. Brilliant... :(

Its disappointing to hear someone sound so cynical, who appears to be at an early stage in her career. How will the cutbacks affect the most needy children? Other children in the class? Is this of ANY concern to you. :mad:

Advertisement