Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport ?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Heading to Westport next weekend, anyone got advise on whats to do there, sight-seeing, walking, resturants , any replies grateful. Or a link to a website with same.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ugool beach, many other fab beaches out past Louisburgh
    Brackloon Woods
    Horse riding
    Surfing

What do you like to do?
    ;)

Start here
    http://westport.mayo-ireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bgerry

http://www.citylocal.ie/mayo new site might find helpful.
    Mangos (Seafood) ( 098 24999) is v good and Torrinos (Italian) is doing an early bird menu from 5.15 – 6.30 for 20 euro at the mo (098 28338) have been a few times always V.good. Westport house is nice for a walk the main house is closed still nice for a stroll. Croagh Patrick is about 15 – 20 min drive away and Bertra beach is about 10 min after in the same direction. Achill Island is about three quarters of an hour drive away in the opposite direction from Westport.

There is a Golf driving range just out side the town. Matt Mulloys Pub is on Bridge St as well as Cosy Joes and The West. The Asguard and The Helm are on the Quayside, nice for a bit of pub grub. The Helm is probably the busier of the two.

Hope this helps will post again if anything else comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I agree with everything that's been said here so far... great advice and great places mentioned. The best advice i can give you on top of that is to go to the tourist office, grab a map of westport and every leaflet you can get your hands on... there's things to interest everyone in westport, it's just a matter of finding them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Ah god bless ye
    great advise
    cheers

a bit of beach walking and maybe a 'stroll' up croagh patrick will work up an apetite for a bit of pub grub and porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

Yeah Climb Croagh Patrick and then a good meal and a few pints in Matt Molloys sounds like a grand way to spend a day.
    Be prepared for the climb, it's not easy but very fulfilling.

• Advertisement

We all need to get away from the depressing rat race.
    (Jasus more jobs gone today and the Dail laughing away with the bankers)
    More and more people should head for the hills for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Good pubs - Town Centre;
    Heneghans on Sat night, Bridge St.- Usually decent band down back.
    McGings - No T.V! Good live trad on Friday evenings. If you are lucky you might get the 6-9pm once a month Jazz session. Excellent. real nice pub, good crowd, good atmosphere, great pints.
    Matt Molloys, Bridge St. - Busy Busy. Good beer.
    Geraghtys on the Octagon - Often live jazz/Trad band on a friday night. nice little pub.
    The West, Bridge St.- worth a look. Sat night only. loud music. generally busy. Food during the day.
    Cosy Joes, Bridge St. - Late bar. if its your thing its worth a look. Food during the day.

C2 - Nightclub. beside Castlecourt & Plaza Hotels. OK.

The Quay is also well worth a look. Especially during the day.
    20 min walk from town centre.
    The Helm. Great food, good atmospehre at night. Good Saefood.
    The Creel. Small restaurant/cafe beside The Helm. Lovely food.
    The asguard & the towers both decent for a daytime pint and a bite to eat.

Weather permitting climb Croagh Patrick. do it early morning. build up a raging hunger and thirst and sample the above!
    The Tavern bar & Restaurant couple of miles outside westport just before Croagh Patrick has great food and is a nice place to go.

Plenty of beaches to visit. Old head, silver strand.
    If you are interested in surfing corrowniskey beach the far side of Louisberg, approx. 15 miles from westport is the spot. Not sure if the lessons will still be available this time of year.

Take a spin to Mulranny & Achill during the day on Saturday. Drive all the way to Keel then on to Keem Bay in Achill. Spectacular regardless of weather.

Enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Oldtree wrote: »
    Ugool beach, many other fab beaches out past Louisburgh

where is ugool beach?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Some great posts here which with which I heartily agree.

If interested in books, excellent shops are Duffys Bridge St, McLoughlins Shop St and John Gibbons 7th Cavalry on James Street.

The LOng Acre ( John Morans ) in Mall between James St and Bridge St has an interesting selection.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I love this area and although I live in south mayo I rent a house in Killeen and have our annual holiday there. I call it Ugool beach but I think it is actually the beach before Ugool.

The best beach in the world and How to get there:

Drive straight past past Louisburgh, Carrowinsky, Killeen, Tallavbaun (where Michael Viney lives), Dadreen and keep on going until there is no more road and you are there, car park on the left, bring a picnic. It is an enormous beach with spectacular views of the Mweelrea mountains as a backdrop. On the rhs of the beach walkers are allowed to wander, but no pets!

I think there has been a bit of controversy with the actual Ugool beach and access to it, which is to the lhs of this beach.

Get a copy of the OSI discovery series no 37, 1:50,000 for a good idea.

• Advertisement

great replies .... thanks a mil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Enjoy your visit to Wetport and area. btw if climbing Croagh Patrick or any other mountain in the area have proper footwear, clothing, some rations etc etc and leave word at some base where u are going.

Any mountain can be dangerous if weather deteriorates. Be very careful of Muilrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Oldtree wrote: »
    I love this area and although I live in south mayo I rent a house in Killeen and have our annual holiday there. I call it Ugool beach but I think it is actually the beach before Ugool.

The best beach in the world and How to get there:

Drive straight past past Louisburgh, Carrowinsky, Killeen, Tallavbaun (where Michael Viney lives), Dadreen and keep on going until there is no more road and you are there, car park on the left, bring a picnic. It is an enormous beach with spectacular views of the Mweelrea mountains as a backdrop. On the rhs of the beach walkers are allowed to wander, but no pets!

I think there has been a bit of controversy with the actual Ugool beach and access to it, which is to the lhs of this beach.

Get a copy of the OSI discovery series no 37, 1:50,000 for a good idea.

is that not silver strand? i know the beach all right, it is very nice.

nuac wrote: »
    Enjoy your visit to Wetport and area. btw if climbing Croagh Patrick or any other mountain in the area have proper footwear, clothing, some rations etc etc and leave word at some base where u are going.

Any mountain can be dangerous if weather deteriorates. Be very careful of Muilrea.

Careful indeed when climbing Mweelrea .... I used this as training camp when I didi the 4 peaks challenge a couple of times, believe it or not people, but after going up and down this mountain via THE RAMP, Caarantohill was easy when we did it on the challenge.

Thanks for all the replies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement