Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggestions please...

Options
  • 11-02-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

i'm having trouble connecting to the wifi at home. i have an NC10 that connects straight away, even my nokia connects no problem so i know the connection is working.
    however, my old acer laptop will not even detect the signal. i have taken it out, connected to other networks and i can even pick up a weak signal from next door, but even if i'm beside the router i get nothing.
    done the usual like running AVG and checking for malware, can anyone help me out here?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

This might be something like the the wireless card being an 'A' type and the router being 'B'... or 'G' or 'N'. There are different frequencies and speeds, represented by letters, and they don't talk to each other. That said, many devices are capable of talking at different levels (ABG for example). Best to check which card / router is talking at which level and see if that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thanks for the reply IT, forgot to mention that it did work although where it was in the house had a weak signal, one day there was no signal, so afaik everything is compatable...
    moved closer to source, nothing, thought it could be a virus, nothing. i'm afraid that's the limit of my technical prowess!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Maybe try reinstalling the driver for the wireless card? If that doesn't do anything then the card might have developed a fault, so maybe plug in a USB wireless adaptor and see if that picks up the network.

Advertisement