Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveillance system recommendations

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi All ,
    Wondering if anyone could be of assistance helping me pick an Surveillance system .. below is a brief of sorts

Area to be covered is open ground (60meters by 80 meters) with 1 large shed

Looking for a (night)camera system and a hard drive and also PIR lights , would like about 3 cameras

Ideally one that could work from a large 12v battery .

Now here is the other part the area is not far from my house (about ¾ mile) and is there some alarm system that has a broadcast type alert to a fob/panel I can put in the house ?.

Any help appreciated

Darr

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Am I right in saying there is no permanant mains supply availible?
    This system is designed for vehicles but it would do the job. It also allows access over the mobile networks via HSDPA, UMTS, EDGE and GPRS .
    Beware its not cheep though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Hey Kk ,
    Your right in what you say (e.g. no mains) but we have managed to get the battery bank up and running so that will work the same . Just need everything to be PIR as the supply won’t last long on if everything is on all the time .

I’m considering this .

Yale type wireless alarm (does anyone know any robust types as the area is quite exposed to wind and rain ) , connected to a PABX (mobile)

A set of decent night/day vision PIR cameras (again same question here any recommendations)

So if any person entered the area when they shouldn’t , the alarm should trip and call the correct people .

the cameras would have been placed on the approach so they should have activated before the alarm .

I have found a few alarms/camera systems but if anyone can recommend any I would be most grateful

Darr

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any camera system can set up to be activated via PiRs.
    You would be looking for external PiRs IP rated.
    Power wise you would not be saving much as the DVR would still be powered all the time . PiRs would only start the record. PiR detection would be moreso to save on HDD space.
    If you are looking to actually alarm on open area you would be much better using point to point technology rather than PiRs.
    The Yale wireless is more of a DIY kit, I doubt it would be IP rated for what you are looking for.
    If you can give some idea of your budget or the value of what you want to protect it might help me give you other ideas.

From what you PMed me you could do something very DIY & basic.
    You would be improvising a lot & in the end the equipment would not be doing what it was designed to do. As its not really protecting a lot, why not just to the alarm & a few dummy cameras.

Advertisement