Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamins

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I've just passed the 12 week mark and have been taking Folic Acid every day. Can someone tell me what other vitamins are best to take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Hi goawayouttadat.... I'm coming up to the 12 wk mark myself next week and was wondering the same... I have been taking folic acid and a Vit B complex combined so far (as a veggie B12 is the only vit I might be lacking)...
    I was told that general multi vits are not great as they contain extra vit D and A which are not good when pregnant... I might take extra iron if I feel I need it after the 12 wk mark along with vit c (helps absorb the iron) but if you are suffering from constipation (like me :o) this might not help matters!!
    I am eating a serious amount of fruit, veg and salads daily so hope that I'm getting enough in my regualr diet... go with your gut instinct (excuse pun!!!)
    Anyone else got vit advice? I'm reluctant to use pregnacare as they are the size of horse tablets and seemingly make some people queezy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It really depends - if you eat a varied diet including lots of fruit and veg, lean red meat, poultry, fish you most likely don't need anything

You shouldn't take vitamin A supplements while pregnant - that includes cod liver oil / halibut oil

Some people take omega-3 (there's mumomega and a few other brands specifically formulated for pregnancy) which are thought to be good for brain and eye development of the foetus, it's up to yourself whether you want to try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Only things I ever heard recommended during pregnancy were folic acid for first 12 weeks, then iron from 12 weeks onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

It really depends - if you eat a varied diet including lots of fruit and veg, lean red meat, poultry, fish you most likely don't need anything

You shouldn't take vitamin A supplements while pregnant - that includes cod liver oil / halibut oil

Some people take omega-3 (there's mumomega and a few other brands specifically formulated for pregnancy) which are thought to be good for brain and eye development of the foetus, it's up to yourself whether you want to try them.

Why can't you take Vit A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 newmommy

I have been taking Pregnacare since i found out i was pregnant, was taking folic acid for 2 years before that. It was the first winter i didnt catch a cold and am feeling great!! I am 26 weeks today As far as i know it has everything in it. It is 10e ish here for a months supply whereas in England it is £3.20 for exact same one so i got few boxes when i was over there few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

kizzyr wrote: »
    Why can't you take Vit A?

Vitamin A & D are fat soluble vitamins and are stored in the liver, so its very easy to overdose on them in comparison to water soluble vitamins B, C & E which wash out of your body daily and need to be eaten daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Ok thanks everyone. I think I'll start taking iron and maybe omega-3.
    Do most people stop taking folic acid after 12 weeks? I've only been taking it since week 5 (surprise pregnancy) so still have loads left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I took just folic acid up until week 12, then the doc told me to stop taking the folic acid and start on pregnacare, which includes folic acid, so whilst there's prob no need I've been taking it all along :D

I'd only take stuff your doc advises if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Vitamin A & D are fat soluble vitamins and are stored in the liver, so its very easy to overdose on them in comparison to water soluble vitamins B, C & E which wash out of your body daily and need to be eaten daily.

That's true for the general population too - nobody should take two multivitamins for that reason. In pregnancy however excessive amounts of vitamin A is thought to possibly lead to birth defects, with some animal studies and some case reports in humans leading experts to recommend avoiding vitamin A supplements altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I take Folic Acid all the time, so if you have some left there is no harm in taking it.
    I have not taken Iron at all this pregnancy, it seems that there is no need for "everyone" to take Iron suplements these days like there use to be in the past.
    I am 33 weeks now and still just take Folic Acid.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Vitamin D supplements are now recommended to all pregnant mums in the UK. Have a chat with your caregiver about the benefits of Vitamin D there has been some research published recently that they'll be aware of - sometimes these things take a while to become routine in Irish maternity practices.

Here's a link to the NHS article

Tracy

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/06June/Pages/VitaminDinpregnancy.aspx

Advertisement