Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Galway.

Options
  • 10-02-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi guys i in live in Galway and can only get wireless broadband im currently with irish broadband which is crap does anyone know any good wireless broadband providers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

richfly wrote: »
    Hi guys i in live in Galway and can only get wireless broadband im currently with irish broadband which is crap does anyone know any good wireless broadband providers.

Depends what part of Galway.

you have Light House networks in the west of the county.

Also covering a lot ofof the county isAirewire.

Digiweb cover the city and oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I guess, you are on Ripwave, if you are saying it's crap, because their Breeze product is pretty solid most of the time.

Where are you in Galway ? And are you allowed to mount an antenna on the outside of the building (chimney/roof) ?

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

Hi i live near the Lisoban Industrial Estate. I live in a block of flats but have a balcony if thats any good?

Hi i live near the Lisoban Industrial Estate. I live in a block of flats but have a balcony if thats any good?

What masts can you see from there ?

Ballybaan (esb), Thonabrucky, the ones above Tirellan Heights, Eircom mast ?

Well, if your landlord or building management doesn't mind that you mount an antenna on the balcony you should be fine depending on your view.

To give you an idea:

- to get Airwire you need be able to see the Eircom mast or towards Eyre Square and Dock Road
    - For IBB Breeze, it'll be Ballybaan, Thonabrucky, the ones above Tirellan Heights or the lights from the Corrib Sports Club, but I'm not sure, if they install appartements in blocks.
    - I know Lighthouse is on Thonabrucky, but I do not know, if they serve customers from there.

/Martin

If i stand on my balcony i look directly at tirellan heights.

• Advertisement

I forgot Digiweb, they are on Ballybaan (the two ESB masts).

As for Tirellan Heights, if that's your only view, then IBB and Airwire are your only fixed wireless choice.

You still need to figure out, what the stance on mounting antenna's is. Are those the appartements between Liosban and Sandyroad ?

/Martin

Ye they are just after the ford garage as you head into lisoban industrial estate on the right hand side.

I know them well.

To my knowledge the management company doesn't let you mount antenna, which is unfortunate, but you could check with them.

If that is the case, it would leave you with ripwave, clearwire (which isn't great at all either), mobile mid-band or to my knowledge, those appartements are UPC/NTL enabled, so you can get broadband down the cable-tv coax.

/Martin

Would only love to get upc broadband but cant get it here and i dont know why. Will sort something out thanks mate for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 shebop

Can anyone recommend a solid broadband service around Wellpark? Preferably any with a 6 month contract if possible ....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

none of them do a 6 month contract 12 minimum .

NTL will give you a 9 month contract if you are a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

We do 6 months contract, always have.

Requirement is just, that you are allowed to mount an antenna on the house. Nearest base would be in Mervue.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire - http://www.airwire.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That sounds promising.

Advertisement