Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to go in ireland with kids

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello
    I'd like some suggestions on where to go in Ireland north and south this summer. We've had our motorhome for two summers now and we've been to France twice via landbridge and directly, for 3-4 weekd. This summer due to lack of funds and time we'll be staying home.
    We have girls aged 8 and 6, and we wouldn't describe ourselves as outdoor types.
    So where would you recommend we go ?
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Hi NewGirl,

Like you, we have 2 girls, 7 and 5. We haven't been long motorhoming, and have only been in Ireland so far.

Tralee (Woodlands) is really nice / family run (winner of best loos award!), as it's right on the edge of town, and you can easily walk in. It's also 5 minutes (ok 10) from the aquadome, and a multiscreen cinema. There's a small playground, but large green areas, and a pedestrian / bike path along by the river to the local Lidl. We spent 2 weeks there last "summer" while the country slowly sank under all the rain, and the kids had a ball!

Parson's green in Tipperary is also nice, with a collection of animals (reindeer, alpacha, kiwis, goats, ducks.

Nore Valley in Kilkenny is nice too, but a long walk from the nearest town. Loads to see and do, with feeding of baby goats / lambs daily (throughout the season)

Casey's in Dungarvan is excellent too, and a well run family site. Right on a beach too. But a drive to Dungarvan, although there is a small shop beside the site. It's very popular, and you'd be advised booking a hard stand in advance.

I believe that the Westport House site is good, and this year we hope to get to it for a few days at least. They have special white card which you buy once and can use again in the same year for free.

Best of luck, and sure we may bump into to you on our travels.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

from what i can remember there are some places just off the beaches for motorhomes in Wexford , and during the summer they get the best weather out of the whole country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

For a few days I'd recommend Belfast. We often go to a small (very basic) site in Dundonald Icebowl. The site is very secure & tidy just beside the Ice rink, Crazy golf and Bowling and play world. Regular bus service or Taxi into the city centre where there's lots to do. Also for the kids I'd recommend the W5 in Belast. It's huge science/play centre which is fun and educational.

For another good day out I'd recommend the Dunlewey Centre in Donegal. It's a long drive but Donegal is fantastic with excellent beeches and scenery too.

Lough Key may also pass a day, there's a good play area for the kids, some nice walks and a bit of boating too.

http://www.loughbooraparklands.com in Offaly is a nice place to visit. Lovely sculptures, walks and scenery but may not be of great interest to the kids.

Down south in Cork is Garretstown House Camp site. Nice site that's walking distance from the beech. They make a good effort with good play areas, kids clubs and kiddies discos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

my kids like Boyle (Lough Key Forest Park) there are nice walks where they can go on their bikes. Ducks to feed, trip on lake on boat etc There is also a new adventure playground which is good but I found it expensive.

3ps,

What are the pitches like in Lough Key for Motorhomes. Their site doesn't show much, but it appears from the one photo :rolleyes: to be grass all round. Are there hardstands to prevent bogging down?

Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    3ps,

What are the pitches like in Lough Key for Motorhomes. Their site doesn't show much, but it appears from the one photo :rolleyes: to be grass all round. Are there hardstands to prevent bogging down?

Z

Mostly tarmac cut into the wooded area, sheltered but can be a bit confined and dark.
    They also have a large field whichis just grass.

Thanks for that Stapeler. Been bogged down once and don't fancy repeating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i find the tarmac pitches quite enclosed.... it's not like you are in a forest.... you are in a carpark with high hedges, with trees around it!

not the end of the world though.

Thanks 3ps. Would really boost tourism if they gave better idea of facilities - sure they mustn't need the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Check out Trabolgan. A caravan or motorhome pitch can be fantastic value if you pick the right time - we are there this year for the May & June BH weekends at €144 each w/e. Included is use of the swimming pool, playgrounds, evening entertainment, kids activities, sports facilities etc.
    Parson's Green in Cahir is great fun for kids and if you like being near the beach I recommend the campsites in Kerry which we thought were better than those we went to in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Thanks for all those replies we've lots to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

As said,nore valley in Killkenny is a great family site.Hidden valley in Rathdrum,wicklow is also good.Boating lake and river to swim/fish on site.Clara lara adventure park is a short drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Would really boost tourism if they gave better idea of facilities - sure they mustn't need the business

http://www.coillte.ie/index.php?id=792 Not a private park.... we tried to get in one May weekend last year. Tried to ring them as we were leaving home.it was after 8 & the bar was across the gate... no in & no out & no one answering the phone since 6ish! Couldn't find a warden.. so we parked in the carpark close to the lake.. Next morning a "no overnight camping" sign was being erected to the entrance to the carpark...:rolleyes: If it was a private park, I'd say the gate would be open..

Nore Valley in Kilkenny is good, funny experience one morning watching this kid trying to buy sweets @ 9:30ish with the woman running the shop refusing to sell him any because it's too early "now outside with ya & run around, good lad"!!.. brilliant that was... I would go there again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 champer

THere is a lovely campsite in Ballycastle, there is onsite pub and swimming pool which is included (I think) in the over night price. Either way it wasnt much. It is a bit of a walk to the town but do-able. You are also very near the Giants Causeway and the rope bridge (not for those afraid of heights). I dont have the name handy but can get it if anyone wants it

Advertisement