Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the Phoenix Park - Chesterfield Ave/Wellington Rd

Options
  • 10-02-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like the OPW are finally ending the parking of hundreds of cars along Chesterfield Ave from the zoo to Parkgate Street and also on Wellington Road, where cars parked on both sides of this 2 way windy road meant that only one car could normally get through at a time. This end of the park was beginning to make this public park resemble a public car park. I know there is a major shortage of park and ride facilities in the city but abandoning your car in the prime public park in the country without even using the facilities is just not on. Wellington Road is much nicer and safer to drive on now without the fear of someone walking out from behind a parked vehicle. And more people who want to visit the zoo and other facilities in the park will now be able to park their cars within a reasonable distance, if public transport does not meet their needs. The area also looks so much nicer with no cars filling every inch of side road and pavement. And I'm sure the cars parked on the pavement on Wellington Road have been causing major consternation to people with buggies, wheelchair users, etc. Are people here happy or angry with the changes with regards to parking at this end of the park. Would love to hear peoples opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

How are the OPW stopping people parking ?

Are they putting lines down , or metering ?

I must admit the few times I visited the zoo recently it was a real pain getting a parking spot anywhere closeby.

They need a carrot and stick approach , it's all very well stopping people from parking there but they ( the gmvt/local authority ) need to supply an alternative .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

They have cones and no parking signs right down Chesterfield Ave, at the park end. And also on Wellington Road. Perhaps other roads too but I don't drive on them. Also, park rangers have been very visible in the area. I counted 5 of them yesterday morning plus 3 park ranger vehicles ready to pounce. I'm wondering where all of these cars are now going in the morning. They have to park somewhere after all. Enough commuter cars park in the park to fill an average mutli story car park, I reckon!!! But I agree that they need somewhere to park. Although many will (rightfully) argue this point but a dedicated park and ride would be very successful in the south eastern part of the Phoenix Park but realistically there is nowhere for this to go, with the Wellingtion Monument, Garda HQ, Barracks, Mary's House, the huge Zoo, polo grounds etc all situated at this end of the park. An area for park and ride could be set up towards the more sparse north end of the park with a shuttle bus to the city/Heuston/LUAS but in reality, this would never get approval and I can see the arguments for and against the reasoning behind this from different sides of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Multistory underground car park would solve it with the surface being returned to as is now, all levels below ground level.

Sounds reasonable enough to me, in theory anyway. However, the costs of that would be very high and disruption and destruction would also be considerable. Also, bear in mind that a double track railway travels right through the south-east end of the park. And there are many parts of this end of the park which can't be touched, for obvious reason....listed buildings, Wellington Monument, the railway tunnel. I'm sure I'm missing a heap of other places. Would be nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I noticed the signs and proliferation of rangers yesterday. Just one question though, where can people park now when visiting the zoo? I've seen no alternative.

• Advertisement

Good question athtrasna. I'm not sure if the cones and park rangers disappear once the morning rush hour finishes and then people can park once again....this time the majority of which would be park users. I don't travel through the park in the evening so can't say whether there is parking after morning rush hour or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

athtrasna wrote: »
    I noticed the signs and proliferation of rangers yesterday. Just one question though, where can people park now when visiting the zoo? I've seen no alternative.
    Last year they built a fair-sized free off road car park between the zoo and the polo grounds. The gate opening/closing times wouldn't suit a commuter but are perfect for a zoo visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

highdef wrote: »
    Well it looks like the OPW are finally ending the parking of hundreds of cars along Chesterfield Ave from the zoo to Parkgate Street and also on Wellington Road, where cars parked on both sides of this 2 way windy road meant that only one car could normally get through at a time. This end of the park was beginning to make this public park resemble a public car park. I know there is a major shortage of park and ride facilities in the city but abandoning your car in the prime public park in the country without even using the facilities is just not on. Wellington Road is much nicer and safer to drive on now without the fear of someone walking out from behind a parked vehicle. And more people who want to visit the zoo and other facilities in the park will now be able to park their cars within a reasonable distance, if public transport does not meet their needs. The area also looks so much nicer with no cars filling every inch of side road and pavement. And I'm sure the cars parked on the pavement on Wellington Road have been causing major consternation to people with buggies, wheelchair users, etc. Are people here happy or angry with the changes with regards to parking at this end of the park. Would love to hear peoples opinions.

Seeing as the vast majority of commuters who still have jobs are being cut their money in some shape or form, I'd think that having Chesterfield Avenue looking nicer is a bit low in their priorities.

I'm sure that the car park owners will be pleased though.

Advertisement