Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 issues at work

Options
  • 10-02-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Problem 1. OK, so I have two issues at work. The first and more inportant one to me is that I was under paid by over €600, its closer to €800 I think. Which has left me straped for money from tomorrow on. When I contacted work they said it was due to me having a tax band of €1,000 rather than €36,500 or what ever it should be. So I rang the stealing government office** and they said it was their mistake and have corrected it. Now work is saying they wont pay me till Febs pay? Sadly it means I cant make till the end of the month on luxuries like food and fuel (fuel is 100euro a week minimum). Do I have any backing in this to get a cheque?

Problem 2. So last week when driving into work I crashed my bike(which I cant fix.. see problem1) due to sheet ice under snow and had to take 3 days off work sick. I went to a doctor and got a cert (which I could hardly pay for.. see problem 1) Anyway, I went back to work on Thursday last week (was off Monday-Wednesday) Now today work have asked for a MC1 form off me. I have rang the doctor and he said that is only for a minimum of 7 working days that a I am entitled to 3 days off with a Doctors cert. However I cant find anything in google about this form let alone what I need it for as I have never heard or been asked for it before. Anyone got any ideas?

**= The Revenue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On part 1 - they're perfectly entitled to do what they're doing. Revenue screwed up and your work were simply paying you based on what Revenue told them to do. You'll get paid more in February's payroll - does your work have any policy on giving advances of your salary? Most places do, and you could get 300 or 400 euro to tide you over till the end of the month. At the end of the month you'll get your salary + the 600/800 euro you were underpaid, so the advance won't leave you out of pocket.

On part 2, sounds odd. Maybe clarify it with them. From my searches, an MC1 form is an application for a medical card, which doesn't sound right at all. Ask them exactly what they're looking for and where you'd get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

You spend 100euro a week minimum on fuel - yet you drive a motorbike to work. You must be driving some monster of a bike. My friend has a 125cc and spends €5 a week on fuel. going from tallaght to city centre every day. Plus lots of driving in leisure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

warrenaldo wrote: »
    You spend 100euro a week minimum on fuel - yet you drive a motorbike to work. You must be driving some monster of a bike. My friend has a 125cc and spends €5 a week on fuel. going from tallaght to city centre every day. Plus lots of driving in leisure time.

I don't think OP wants us to critique his fuel consumption or expenditure on fuel.

OP, check your contract of employment re: sick leave. Most employers will pay you if you're sick up to certain time limits. There's no legal requirement for them to pay you though.

If you go get paid for sick leave, they may want you to apply for Illness Benefit which you would then sign over to your employer.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness/disability_benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

On part 2, sounds odd. Maybe clarify it with them. From my searches, an MC1 form is an application for a medical card, which doesn't sound right at all. Ask them exactly what they're looking for and where you'd get it.[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought after a google search on it. Work said the citizen information site is out of date (not if you look down the bottom of the page its not)

Sleipnir I think you might be right and from the bottom of the page its an MC2 form that I need from my GP.

As for fuel costs, you will see I crashed my bike and cant repair it. So I am now taking my car to work. Which is costing €20 a day (140mile round journey this includes being stuck in traffic wasting money and life energy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Regarding 1: I used to pay wages, and if someone came to me with your sob story I would give them an advance. Ask your manager if it can be authorised.

Regarding 2: No idea. Ask your manager if she's talking ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement