Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to pack for hospital???

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Ok Ladies,

I have researched several sites (including the Rotunda's own site) and there are a lot of bits and pieces that are suggested for hospital. I have everything that is on the Rotunda's site, nappies, clothes, shampoo, etc But what I would like to know is was there anything you found yourself needing while inside. Even something as random as body lotion or hand cream.

My baby is due Thursday, fingers crossed I won't go too far over, washed all the clothes yesterday (Quackles thank you for the suggestion), repacked my bag, only need to get Sudocream in the shopping later. So new mums/second time round mums/ to be mums, anything you can think of???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ya know that gel that disinfects your hands?? Get some of that, I know they have the alcohol rub in the hospitals but it was handy to have beside the bed just incase.

I hope you've packed as if you're having a c section... I packed normally (5 babygro's 5 vests) and I needed a hell of a lot more than that, I went through 7 babygro's in the first 24 hours as baby kept sicking up her feeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I actually bought some of that disinfectant hand stuff yesterday, I was walking down the aisle in Dunnes, saw it and had the biggest urge in Ireland to get it. I have noticed with the Rotunda that though they are all over the hospital they are either empty or half of the people totally ignore them.

Iam not bringing too much in for me, 10 disposible underwear, nightdress, night gown, a pair of pj's, towel, shampoo, shower gel and breast pads.

As for baby, I have about 6-8 vesties and another 5 sleepers packed, 2 pairs of socks, booties, 4 hats, 4 pairs of scratch mittens, a blanket, 6 bibs, half a packet of nappies, 2 packets of baby wipes, rash powder, binkies and one of those heavy outdoor outfits for leaving, but I still feel like there is stuff missing:confused:

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I actually bought some of that disinfectant hand stuff yesterday, I was walking down the aisle in Dunnes, saw it and had the biggest urge in Ireland to get it. I have noticed with the Rotunda that though they are all over the hospital they are either empty or half of the people totally ignore them.

Iam not bringing too much in for me, 10 disposible underwear, nightdress, night gown, a pair of pj's, towel, shampoo, shower gel and breast pads.

As for baby, I have about 6-8 vesties and another 5 sleepers packed, 2 pairs of socks, booties, 4 hats, 4 pairs of scratch mittens, a blanket, 6 bibs, half a packet of nappies, 2 packets of baby wipes, rash powder, binkies and one of those heavy outdoor outfits for leaving, but I still feel like there is stuff missing:confused:

I had my babe in vests and a babygro... it's not that the hospital is cold... it's just they're so tiny, they'll need it... so maybe pack the eight babygro's... I didn't use baby wipes in the hospital, cotton wool and water is what they recommend for the first couple of days (it gets messy if your wiping meconium though.... ew). I was told not to use powder on the baby either... they'll breath in particles of it and it can't be good for them when they are that young... Bepantham or Sudocreme is brill though... I still curse myself for not bringing soothers, so good on ya!!

Have you got slippers?? Maternity Pads?? I didn't like the ones the hospital have... so my mam brought me ones from boots...

Yes I have slippers and 2 pairs of very warm socks! I get cold feet!:)

What are maternity pads? I bought 2 packets of highly absorbant always pads, is that the same?

To tell you the truth I was bringing the baby wipes more for general use than baby. I notice they dry skin easily but are so handy for stick hands and cleaning in general! Sudocream is the only thing I am missing at the moment out of my bag, I have to get it tomorrow in the weekly shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Maternity pads are like supersized always pads:) They feel very strange (lol) as we have all gotten used to the slimline versions, but they are better for the first week or so after giving birth (in my experience that is). Boots and Mothercare do them but I found the hospital ones to be the best, but the biggest!!!

Re packing, I pack the minimum amount and then get my other half to bring in stuff as he visits daily and he takes the washing home too. Having big bags in the hospital is a real pain, trying to find stuff, dragging stuff out of bags, repacking it. I don't have the patience for it :) So, I have the minimum packed and have spare everything set out on the bed in our spare room. DH will ring me before he leaves for hosp and grab what extra I need off the bed :D

This is my third child so am well experienced at this packing lark by now :D

Good luck, hope you go on time. I am due on Saturday but its looking like I will go over :(

• Advertisement

Its all so confusing! I wont need too much but i know the baby will need a fortune of things. I cant ask my OH to go and bring stuff in, he will have to shuffle seeing me and the baby with college, not to mention he is terrible at remembering certain things!:L:L:L:rolleyes:

Its very likely that no matter how well you prepare there will be something that you run out of/forget/need brought in. If your OH isn't going to be available better organise someone that has a key and can nip in to your house and get stuff, just in case :)

Just something else that wasn't mentioned here, pack a seperate bag for the labour ward:

Babygrow & vest
    2 nappies (in case one tears etc)
    Hat and scratch mits for baby

Clean nightdress/socks/underwear (to change into after labour)
    Bottle of water
    Vaseline or some such in case your lips get dry
    A book (labour builds up slowly so you need something to do between contractions, also if you have an epi you will just be hanging around waiting)
    A camera
    Mobile phone (in OH's pocket, can't be used in labour ward)

Just keep that bag on top of your hospital bag so you can grab it when going to labour ward :)

There is only myself and my OH here. I am having the baby here in Dub because it was the only way to ensure my OH could be at the birth, as soon as baby is born I am off down the country. So trying to make sure I have as much as possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bring a few towels,you probably won't get more then one use out of them.
    Throw in some food for your OH too.
    Don't forget going home clothes,I might have forgotten that bit!!
    You might want to bring a warm jumper or fleece as you will be colder as your no longer pregnant.

Good luck:)x

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

if i were you i'd take in a couple of cheap multi packs of knickers from pennys instead of disposables. If you are having a section, the elastic in the disposable knickers can rub on your wound. Happened to me on my first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

LorraineL wrote: »
    if i were you i'd take in a couple of cheap multi packs of knickers from pennys instead of disposables. If you are having a section, the elastic in the disposable knickers can rub on your wound. Happened to me on my first.

Not only that, the disposable ones are useless and uncomfortable. Penneys granny pants ftw!

Bring a water bottle with a sports cap and some dettol, mix water with a bit of the dettol and use it to spray on yourself in case you have stitches - life saver! Oh, and cotton wool instead of (or as well as) wipes, they encourage you to clean the baby with water and cotton wool, and you need it to clean the cord or if baby is born with weepy eyes, like mine was.

They give you the cotton wool in the Rotunda lol, so no need to bring that!! I also agree that the disposable knickers are useless!! I bought a ten pack of big black granny pants in pennys and just wore those, they were great cos they went up over my section wound!!

Bring a full pack of nappies too... if your OH isn't going to be able to bring stuff in for you they ask at each feed if baby has had a wet/pooey nappy so you could be changing more than eight times a day and sometimes they like to keep first time mums in for three days unless you're on one of those early transfer home schemes...

I bought a load of underwear recently as my other ones started getting tattered looking so I'll bring my less than perfect ones in with me:)

I am so glad I thought to start this thread!

Moonbeam, your OH sounds like mine, mine's a bottomless pit, and I mean I have cooked way too much food for 2 people and he will take 2 plates if he has to, to eat it and still be foraging the cupboards for more in an hour! I already have nutrigrain bars and other food kept next to a lunch box in case I go into labour for him (especially if I go into labour while he is at college and doesn't get a chance to come home for dinner during it all - I just realised I am way to considerate of that man!:D

Yes I have a little bag packed of my favourite pre pregnancy clothes for him to bring in on the day we are left go home. Since I lost 2 clothes sizes a few weeks before I got pregnant and haven't gained alot of weight on myself during the pregnancy I forsee one of the nice pairs of jeans fitting and I have loads of gorgeous tops. I never had a chance to go shopping for super slim me so at least all my clothes should fit. :):D

Yes I have half a pack in the bag but have more here and have oney put aside to buy more if the OH cant get back to the house (Handy little shop in the Rotunda) For some reason the Rotunda have my stay down as 3-7 days. But they told me if the c-section goes ahead they will keep me in longer!?

You can always discharge yourself if you feel up to it. I had an emergency section and I was in for four days, they told me that they wanted to keep me in longer... I burst into tears and begged them to let me home!!!

Wolfpawnat, re pre-pregnancy clothes, make sure its a tracksuit end rather than anything with a tight waistband, just in case. Also, if you have a section you really won't want anything tight (by tight I mean even what would have fit you pre-pregnancy) rubbing off you tummy in case its sensitive. I suppose I should use the word fitted rather than tight. Interchange as necessary :) The journey home would be mighty uncomfortable if clothes were rubbing off any sensitive bits!!!

Yes I have both Jeans and tracksuit bottoms packed, I wouldn't mind but I am more concerned about what the baby's clothes are like rather than my own! I have my favourite little bits ready! My OH is demanding that the first thing we buy the baby regardless of gender is a tiny Arsenal football kit:rolleyes:.

Yes I will wait and see how I am feeling in hospital to decide should I leave early:) I'm sure if you were not in the best of health adrienne_x they wouldnt have left you leave:) Are they as nice in the wards as they are in the midwives clinic, I loved my midwife!

Some of them are and some of them aren't!!

The first night on the ward after I gave birth they were brilliant, fed and changed her and let me sleep right through!!

The second night I had a very hard time of it... I still couldn't get out of bed and I needed to change her but couldn't reach her in the cot as the midwife had moved it too far away!! I pressed my little alarm and she came in and I was like "I need to change the baby..." and she was like "go ahead..." and was about to walk off when I said "I can't reach her." she kind of tutted and brought her over to me... later that night Addison started crying and I couldn't lift her out of the cot (she had lowered the bed down and I couldn't reach her...) so I pressed my alarm and ten minutes later still no midwife and a crying baby... the girl in the next bed had to help me get her out!!

There's one midwife there, her name is Laura, blonde girl and young (maybe just a bit older than me, I'm 21). She's brilliant, a real help and we had a great few chats!!

They weren't going to let me out at first, but they checked my wound and told me that I could leave if I wanted but they wanted me to stay another night... I really just wanted to get home!!

Yes I noticed one or two of those working there are less than nice when they see your age (I only turned 22 on Sunday) and one week my usual midwife was not in and I went to another one and she kept making comments about my age and marital status, the student on with her was as shocked as I was, she kept giving me I'm so sorry for you look.

But the rest I cannot fault, helping me sitting up and lie down, asking do I need anything. :)

Yes I have a little bag packed of my favourite pre pregnancy clothes for him to bring in on the day we are left go home. Since I lost 2 clothes sizes a few weeks before I got pregnant and haven't gained alot of weight on myself during the pregnancy I forsee one of the nice pairs of jeans fitting and I have loads of gorgeous tops. I never had a chance to go shopping for super slim me so at least all my clothes should fit. :):D

Don't be disappointed if they don't - I gained no weight during the pregnancy, so I left the hospital over a stone lighter than I was when I got pregnant, it was still a week or so before my pre-pregnancy jeans fit me. It takes time for the muscles to shrink back to normal, I'm still not right :) Stupid saggy belly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Sorry, i really can't resist, but how will you cope with a baby if you cannot pack???

• Advertisement

That's neither helpful nor warranted.

She can pack, she's asking for advice on WHAT to pack, there's a difference and a lot of first time mothers don't know what to bring to hospital with them.

I didn't untill I asked here!

Sorry, i really can't resist, but how will ou cope with a baby if you cannot pack???

That's a bit flippant. How is a first time mother supposed to know how much of each item etc she's supposed to bring to hospital when she's never given birth before? Also, she'll get tips from those who've been there before about something she may have overlooked. It in no way reflects on how you cope with a baby. It's like me telling you to pack for a trek through Antartica - you've never done it before, you'd need to find out what you need.

Quackles wrote: »
    Don't be disappointed if they don't - I gained no weight during the pregnancy, so I left the hospital over a stone lighter than I was when I got pregnant, it was still a week or so before my pre-pregnancy jeans fit me. It takes time for the muscles to shrink back to normal, I'm still not right :) Stupid saggy belly!

Oh I'll fit back into them, later more likely than sooner:D I am not a happy bunny with the stretchmarks! I am going to take weeks I think to get a half decent belly again, I gained 2 stone by 8 months! Havent weighed myself in ages, but according to my gp it's all to do with the baby! So we'll wait and see! Trackies and maternity jeans could be staying another while yet!

Oh I'll fit back into them, later more likely than sooner:D I am not a happy bunny with the stretchmarks! I am going to take weeks I think to get a half decent belly again, I gained 2 stone by 8 months! Havent weighed myself in ages, but according to my gp it's all to do with the baby! So we'll wait and see! Trackies and maternity jeans could be staying another while yet!

I know I'm still wearing maybe 2-3 pairs of my bigger pre-pregnancy jeans, and then the maternity ones and trackies :) I have to shop for a christening outfit now and I really resent paying money for clothes that (hopefully!!) won't fit in a couple of months time!

Truthfully I am choosing to ignore a certain remark from what appears to be a male poster! I'm sorry but what man has EVER had to pack one of these bags!?!

Yes I am planning on having the christening in the summer, to suit family and college (OH). I don't mind as I will have to splash out on an outfit and it gives me a chance to trim up a little - I am am being realistic and am not thinking I will shrink down in a week!:)

Truthfully I am choosing to ignore a certain remark from what appears to be a male poster! I'm sorry but what man has EVER had to pack one of these bags!?!

Yes I am planning on having the christening in the summer, to suit family and college (OH). I don't mind as I will have to splash out on an outfit and it gives me a chance to trim up a little - I am am being realistic and am not thinking I will shrink down in a week!:)

You're a bigger person than I :)

My sister is due in March and I wanted to have the christening out of the way before we get into her due date territory, so going for 1st March, Euan will be 6 weeks old.

OMG he is nearly a month already, god time is flying!

Your sister really was considerate giving Euan a playmate;):)

Lucky you Quackles!! Addison will be just about 5 months when she gets christened...

March was all booked up in the church... my Aunt is getting her baby christened in April and we don't want them both on the same day as although they'll be in the same church, we don't want family having to decide where they are going after for nibbles (Holly is younger than Addison, but the gown that she's wearing is only 0-3 months whereas mine is a bit bigger and would fit Addie now or if she was 5 months...), so it'll be May 10th!!

OMG he is nearly a month already, god time is flying!

Your sister really was considerate giving Euan a playmate;):)

Well, she's just returning the favour.. My first son is 4 months younger than her daughter :)

• Advertisement

Ye planned these pregnancies didn't ye to coincide:D

Right I know this is a bit off topic but I am going through hell with backache, lack of sleep and agonising period type cramps today. Please tell me this is normal:)

Ok not agonising but very sore!

Advertisement