Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pajero/Shogun Sport

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here drive one of these at the moment or done so in the recent past ? Have always liked them and have been looking at one locally that was brought here from UK by a the dealer. He's asking enough money for it but think that's cause it was a passenger model which he has converted to a commercial.

Are they reliable ? I know they're not economical in comparison to a car but what mileage would a lad expect to get from €50/€60 diesel ? Would be thinking of the commercial model for tax purposes, casue I don't usually have use for anymore than 1 seat and anytime I need anymore than 2 seats I'd have the wifes motor.

They seem to be pretty cheap at the moment, would be looking at least a 2004 maybe newer, seem to be very limted stock of the 2 seater in the UK which I believe would qualify for €50 VRT.

Opinions ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Does anyone here drive one of these at the moment or done so in the recent past ? Have always liked them and have been looking at one locally that was brought here from UK by a the dealer. He's asking enough money for it but think that's cause it was a passenger model which he has converted to a commercial.

Are they reliable ? I know they're not economical in comparison to a car but what mileage would a lad expect to get from €50/€60 diesel ? Would be thinking of the commercial model for tax purposes, casue I don't usually have use for anymore than 1 seat and anytime I need anymore than 2 seats I'd have the wifes motor.

They seem to be pretty cheap at the moment, would be looking at least a 2004 maybe newer, seem to be very limted stock of the 2 seater in the UK which I believe would qualify for €50 VRT.

Opinions ??

I had a '00 pajero sport. Mine was very thirsty (16mpg) but I'm told the newer ones are much more economical (30mpg?) very low cabin height and very slippy rear axle but aside from that I cant fault them, mine never let me down (within reason) it was always reliable and fairly comfortable. pretty well built with lots of space in the rear.

You might feel a little cheated though, Its called a sport but its got a smaller engine than the regular pajero, weighs more and is less powerful. Also doesnt handle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

You might feel a little cheated though, Its called a sport but its got a smaller engine than the regular pajero, weighs more and is less powerful. Also doesnt handle as well.

They are cheaper to buy though. 30 mpg I think I could live with but not 18 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

In terms of reliability they are fine, its a mitsubishi :rolleyes:

As mentioned handling wouldn't be as good as the proper pajero, and the cab is a bit cramped. I think there a 2.5, which is a decent engine, accelleration mightened be the best and when towing heavy loads you'll need to be prepared to take it slow.

You get what you pay for really, they are a good jeep, although with many mitsubishi's fuel economey is an issue, I would imagine that even 30 mpg might be on the optamistic side of things,

They are cheaper to buy though. 30 mpg I think I could live with but not 18 !!

They are cheaper to buy and compared to alot of similar priced machines they are a proper 4x4. I moved onto a Nissan Terrano which gets 32mpg from a 2.7L engine but it hasent the quality or feel of the pajero sport.

As I said mine was a '00 with 70k on the clock. I have heard that the newer ones do 30mpg but that was from somebody with a '05. I dont know if mine was the norm or was faulty in some way(I had it all checked out and regularily serviced) and I dont know if they changed engine was changed for later modles.

PS: you can learn to cope with the 16mpg. You plan your route around filling stations, always make sure thet everytime you get into it you have at least €20 in your pocket and always wear comfortable shoes because you spend alot of time standing on petrol station forecourts.

Cheers lads.

Made a phonecall to a "dealer" listed on Carzone selling one. He asked that I sell my own car and get back to him. I mean trading in is one of the benefits of dealing with a dealer rather than buying private. I know it's hard to shift cars at the moment but I decided fcuk you for a dealer. Will look elsewhere, in fact if I sell my own car I'll be scouting the UK for the commercial model. Seen another one locally brought in from UK and converted by the dealer but a rough job was done on it and was looking for huge money.

Something like this is what I'm interested in:
    http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/tinofapples/Motors/06PajeroSportDonegal6.jpg

• Advertisement

They are deceptively common. Everytime I was trading mine the dealers always had at least one more round the back. Lunnys garage in carrick-on-Shannon have a few.

Hmmmm cheap too , €1 :D

The silver one is nice but is passenger model

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Get an L200 ..it's the same vehicle, just slightly different body :D

Like them too, have the full seats and still a commercial. Similar MPG figures and reliability ?

sorta, you'll need to take into account the extra weight you'll need to put into the back to keep the wheels on the ground and the associated extra fuel costs it will incur.
    They are essentially the same machine, L200 is abit longer but the back is alot slippier. They are generally more expensive aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Slig wrote: »
    very low cabin height and very slippy rear axle

Precisely my opinion on the Sport. They look good, but the floor is very high when you're sitting there. When in fifth gear, the gearlever is tucked in behind my left knee, which is slightly uncomfortable. I also found the wheelspin in 2WD alarming, especially when you consider that they don't have that much power. Perhaps if you're under 6 foot and don't stray off tarmac much, you might be ok with one.

Precisely my opinion on the Sport. They look good, but the floor is very high when you're sitting there. When in fifth gear, the gearlever is tucked in behind my left knee, which is slightly uncomfortable. I also found the wheelspin in 2WD alarming, especially when you consider that they don't have that much power. Perhaps if you're under 6 foot and don't stray off tarmac much, you might be ok with one.

I found the opposite, its grand off road with great ground clearance, long wheel base and nice big wheels (could do with more padding on the ceiling though). On a wet tar-mac road even the slightest turn on an incline could be lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MITSIRULES

this is nice check it out commercial if interested and irish with history.http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero-Sport/2.5-COMM/200904191574870/advert

It's nice alright. Had my eye on an 06 in Donegal but it's since sold.

Advertisement