Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stereo amp running on house mains..??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Here's a tip... try using a laptop PSU - you can get generic ones from Maplin - and also place a large capacitor on the power input to help to prevent the bass from distorting the power feed.
    Here's an example...
    http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/capacitors.htm

As far as I remember, you calculate the power consumption on the RMS value - 75W. So, divide that by the voltage (approx 13v) = 5.8A peak power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Many thanks for the reply... great info there...;)

Gonna try and get my hands on a PSU with those ratings...
    Will leave the Capacitor for now.. and see how it runs without it...

Thanks again. 10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll possibly need the capacitor - but you don't need such as flash capacitor as you see on the website above.
    Again, Maplin do cheaper & smaller ones, and you'll be able to connect a number of them together to achieve the desired capacitance. Let us know if you need help on that later on.

Will take a look at the Maplin website and see if I can find anything..

Not great with electronics, not since i tried to get toast out of the toaster with a knife.. kindda fell out since then...:rolleyes:

Just one quick thing before i look at these caps, This is a 2 channel amp rated at 75 w RMS per channel.. Does this mean I'll need a bigger cap than origanally intended..??

Many thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

why would a capacitor be required?

In a car its used to compensate for the poor supply from an alternator and give increased current output if its lacking.

If running off mains a suitably rated power supply will provide a decent output more than good enough for the amp

• Advertisement

So what would the perfect mains power supply be...??

I see there's power supplys out there that look like small suit cases that would do the job, but Id rather it be run off something smaller / cheaper and be able to move around handy enough..

I presume this is why laptop supplys can be used, but with them not delivering quite enough power they'd use a cap on it as well...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you feel confident enough you could try using an old PC power supply (you might be able to pick one up free in an old PC)

I found this link, you might find it useful.

http://www.qsl.net/aa3sj/Pages/PC-Supply.html

Obviously you should be experienced with working with mains electricity to try this.

Man... That may as well of been in Chinese...

Think I'll hit flee bay and find a 13.4v 5amp power supply..

I do have access to old p.c's but where to start...?

Advertisement