Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cities in southern europe?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

that resemble dublin, by the sea but with nice weather all year round?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus man, you're spoilt for choice, but if it's work you're looking for, that's another story....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

seachto7 wrote: »
    jaysus man, you're spoilt for choice, but if it's work you're looking for, that's another story....

am i though? in roma it rains a lot and thats pretty damn south.

I lived in Roma for 2 years, and the summers are far better than anything here. Yes, it rains during the winter, and it pi*ses down, but I recall being in short sleeves in December there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ah go raibh maith agat man.

how was it living there? i loved it as a city, and always said i'd live there for a while.

Beautiful city, but, personally I wouldn't live there full time. I'd prefer a smaller city or town in Italy. But the food and women were smashing :)
    I picked up TEFL work there handy enough at the time.
    If you can speak any Italian it will stand to you definitely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Southern Italy , particularly Puglia, is the place to live. It has everything and has not been spoiled with un-bridled tourism and mis-development. It is Europe's best kept secret.
    Change your life. Live in paradise.

naw, it certainly does not rain much in Rome. It has a wonderful climate. The traffic is perhaps worse than dublin though, if you use a car, but smart people use scooters or similar. Rome is a really great place to live, but flats cost a lot of money in the centre. It is not a cheap place to live.

If I could get a job in Italy I would move there tomorrow....magari magari...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spoilt for choice in Spain - There's Barcelona, obviously but further down the Eastern coast there's also Valencia and Alicante with plenty to offer.

And then over in the North West, where the weather may not be quite as good, (but still superior to Dublin) there's San Sebastian, Santander and Santiago - all excellent choices

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

anladmór wrote: »

I lived in Marbella for 3 years, was ok but to get a good city for a bit of all round life look at Malaga, not too many tourists, great social life and similar size to dublin, more cultured would be Granada(University City), very historic, but very hot in Summer and very cold in Winter, only 30 min to the ski slopes

but the number one for me has to be Sevilla, decent all year weather, can hit 45 in summer but get used to it, winters are mild, not on the sea, but on a major river not far from the sea. nightlife is fantastic, culture is great, things to do are endless, and its very multicultural because of the many universities,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leeds17

it90mins from the sea but have you considered Bologna, big student city, always loads going on, very easy to meet people etc. I spent a year there and the weather is very hot/humid in summer ad cold in winter, very litttle rain:D, the rents are pricey and a bit run down due to big student influx but its all part of bologna experience. If you do your tefl that is the only way you'll realistically get work, something different and the whole of italy is accesible for youre weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Lisbon. A Coruna. Oviedo . Gijon.

North coast spain is awesome. Mild winters, summers not too scorching.
    Lots of green and mountains. Truly beautiful.

If I could get a job in Italy I would move there tomorrow....magari magari...

There are some good opportunities to rent appartments in old historic palaces for three to four hundred euro a month up, depending on the standard you want and cost of living is very low in the Puglia region. It is worth thinking about. I know one family with a beautiful 17th century palace, converted into a large restaurant cum night club etc in a historic bust touristic city near the sea and close to Bari and Brindisi airports ( with direct Ryan Air flights) . The existing tenant is a problem case so they want to change him for someone serious and honest. It could be the dream come true for someone who wants out of the rat race. I think the asking rent would be about four thousand a month for the whole palace, which runs to a few thousand square metres plus terraces and cellars etc.
    I moved over myself, ten years ago and would never go back.

great in theory Irlandese, ma prima devo trovare lavoro...

great in theory Irlandese, ma prima devo trovare lavoro...

Certo, ma parlavo di lavoro, gestendo il ristorante/ bar !
    Yes.,I was talking about work, managing the restaurant/bar.
    But it is an opportunity for someone with cash up front to convince the owners they can pay rent and maintain the property properly. There is great scope to have a great life while making some money too. But, it is not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Irishlawgirl

Just decided to opt for a voluntary redundancy package and live in Rome - it's the only city in Italy that I am familiar with - as I'm traveling by myself - have to feel as safe as possible!

Been trying to look up jobs everywhere but i've no Italian - I probably could last over there for two months without working and learning the language but that really would cost a lot if I was not get a job over there.

As for accommodation - has anyone any advice re that? I'd be looking for a daft equivalent website - basically looking to share a house/apartment and looking to rent one room - but the best websites for this, from what I see, are in flaming Italian!

Just decided to opt for a voluntary redundancy package and live in Rome - it's the only city in Italy that I am familiar with - as I'm traveling by myself - have to feel as safe as possible!

Been trying to look up jobs everywhere but i've no Italian - I probably could last over there for two months without working and learning the language but that really would cost a lot if I was not get a job over there.

As for accommodation - has anyone any advice re that? I'd be looking for a daft equivalent website - basically looking to share a house/apartment and looking to rent one room - but the best websites for this, from what I see, are in flaming Italian!

Try putting ads in english in either >
    http://roma.bakeca.it/ ( Section> cerco camera in affitto )
    http://roma.kijiji.it/ ( Section>Case in affitto > Stanze / Posti letto )

Be as careful in Rome as anywhere else, as a woman alone without language skills. It is obvious, but bears repetition.
    Do, do try for a job before you go, using the web to look up even bar work in Rome. Start now and do not take the first one that comes up. Do due diligence.
    Try the american university students office, too, for flat-shares. Do certainly contact the Irish Embassy staff too, they are quite friendly.
    You have "lawgirl" as a handle. If you are a lawyer, try for temporary work with amnesty, law firms, international orgs, companies doing business abroad etc.
    Try, try and try again and do not start using the nest-egg when you can start supplementing it by looking for work early.
    Do not go without having a female "contact" in Rome who can help out in an emergency ( I am male) . Best advice yet> There are a lot of female ex-pats that you can contact through the chaplain of the Irish College. They meet after sunday mass at the college. I am an agnostic, but have occasionally been roped in to some activity linked to them. There may be one looking for a live-in light-duty au-pair. Great way to learn the language and find your feet in Rome.

Good idea. Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Been living in Ljubljana Slovenia for the past few years. Great place to live quite small but close to so many places. Best thing i ever did! Weather wise, its warm in summer and winters aren't too bad. Work is something you would need to have lined up though.

Caro, spero che hai trovato quel lavoro ? Tenga dur !

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

anladmór wrote: »

None of them resemble Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Naples?, it's filthy and corrupt in the extreme but I have a huge soft spot for the place, it's actually far less likes museum than many Italian cities, great food, plenty of sun and very few tourists buzzing with life, the Amalfi coast, Capri and Ischia on your doorstep.

My Italian wife and I were looking back over some of my posts here.
    We were wondering whether you ever made the move and if so, how did it go for you ?

Irlandese wrote: »
    My Italian wife and I were looking back over some of my posts here.
    We were wondering whether you ever made the move and if so, how did it go for you ?

Hey would you mind me asking a little about work there?

Is it hard to get jobs in English there?

Ho studiato la lingua al’luniversita’ e ho fatto l’erasmus qua, ma non penso che parlo abbastanza per lavorare in Italiano. Mi interesse lavorando in Roma, o nord d’Italia; Milano, Torino ecc. Faccio communicazione, la policia del’governo, e oggi ho guardagnato CIPP/E (GDPR).

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Rome is beautiful. I spent 2 years there 20 years ago. What I noticed when I was back the last time a few years ago is there are WAY more tourists. Just seemed so so crowded.
    If it were me, I would go to a smaller city in Italy, get the "Italian lifestyle", but in a more manageable city. When I say smaller, somewhere the size of Dublin or smaller. e.g. population 500,000 to a million.

Advertisement