Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to upgrade my laptop to a gaming laptop

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

i want to go out and buy well first i have a acer travelmate 5720
    i have a : a hard drive of 100gb and i want to upgrade it to a 750gb hard drive it is a 750GB Maxtor DiamondMax 22 SATA Hard Drive
    Q's:
    will i be able to do it?
    will my laptop be able to use it?
    will my laptop be strong enough?

i want to upgrade my ram it is 1gb
    i want to upgrade it to 2gb because it is the most my laptop will take its a KINGSTON - Memory/2GB Module Acer sku :KAC-MEMF/2G

and i want to upgrade my graphics card
    i have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    and i want to upgrade it to a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD2600 PRO 512MB AGP
    Q's :
    will it fit in my laptop?
    will it work?

thanks hope for a reply please,dj-kyosho

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dj-kyosho wrote: »
    i want to go out and buy well first i have a acer travelmate 5720
    i have a : a hard drive of 100gb and i want to upgrade it to a 750gb hard drive it is a 750GB Maxtor DiamondMax 22 SATA Hard Drive
    Q's:
    will i be able to do it?
    will my laptop be able to use it?
    will my laptop be strong enough?

i want to upgrade my ram it is 1gb
    i want to upgrade it to 2gb because it is the most my laptop will take its a KINGSTON - Memory/2GB Module Acer sku :KAC-MEMF/2G

and i want to upgrade my graphics card
    i have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    and i want to upgrade it to a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD2600 PRO 512MB AGP
    Q's :
    will it fit in my laptop?
    will it work?

thanks hope for a reply please,dj-kyosho

I believe the diamondmax 22 is a 3.5" drive. You'll need to get a 2.5" drive to make it fit in your acer, i presume it's going to be a SATA drive.
    Upgrading the RAM should be straightforward.
    Upgrading the graphics card in 99% of laptops is next to impossible. As they are generally soldered to the mobo. And as for the graphics card mentioned above, no, you will not be able to upgrade to that.
    Upgrading laptops is always difficult, the main worthwhile upgrades are the Hd and RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

1. With regards to the hard drive, chances are you'll fit any 2.5" drive into it. This may invalidate you're warranty. You could just pick up a bigger external drive for alot cheaper.

2. You'll be able to upgrade to 2GB RAM no problem.

3. You can't upgrade your graphics card.

There is no way you can upgrade to a gaming laptop unfortunately. You'll have to buy a new one, although I wouldnt recommend it.

Gaming laptops are usually expensive, bulky, have terrible battery life and you'll still want a full size keyboard and mouse.

They're fine if you intend to use it to LAN but not really good for much else.
    (Says he typing on his 14" "gaming" laptop)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've the XPS1730..fully maxed out..however I "might" use it once a month at lans.
    My spec below is my main pc and I'm tempted to flog it and use the 1730 as the main one...such as waste of a laptop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dj-kyosho

i no use all said dont use or get a gaming laptop but i saw this
    this laptop has nice specs :
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2409356/art/hp/presario-g60-214em.html

this keyboard and mouse set :http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/335047/art/logitech/desktop-ex110-wireless-ke.html

i no it has a 15.4" screen but i have a 19" samsung syncmaster screen so dat will do i will hook it uo to that but what do u think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why an earth would you buy a gaming laptop and then hook it up to a monitor.

That laptop above is not a gaming laptop, in fact it's not really even faster then your current one. No modern game would run on that all, except for maybe 640x480/800x600 low settings.

If you want a gaming laptop, you need to spend at least 6-700 for a budget one, and about 1k+ to reach the class of an actual proper gaming laptop.

Seeing as you're talking about hooking it up to a monitor, why don't you just build a PC, even a mAtx one if you're concerned about size and portability. It'd be about 40% cheaper at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 dj-kyosho

ok i found some computers(not laptops)desktops on this site and i was wonderin would this be a good 1 to play like e.g.cod4,cod waw,frontlines fuel of war ......here it is http://www.arbico.co.uk/Arbico-Performance-Athlon-64-Custom-Built-Computer-p-17352.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

no, not a hope with a 9500gt, unless you dont mind playing on a 15" screen with low details.

Advertisement