Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get drilling done in ireland? Thinking of getting a ball in uk or something. Oh forgot to mention
    im a complete noob about what the different types are etc... So any advice on which ball i should get, where, etc would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You came to the right place :)

Most of the major Bowling centres in Ireland will be able to get a ball drilled for you.

If you are getting a ball in the UK then just remember that postage and packaging will probably cost you a lot of dosh!

The type of ball you get depends on a huge number of factors, mind boggling number of factors really :) I'm a firm believer in NOT getting a ball until you've had a couple of lessons. In my own centre I see a lot of people using really expensive bowling balls and only achieving 170 averages. The reason behind this is obvious, their technique and knowledge of the lanes is appalling.

My advice would be to have a couple of lessons to ensure that your lane approach and ball release and delivery on to the lane are good before you buy a ball.

You can buy polyester, urethane and reactive urethane bowling balls. Polyester are the most difficult to 'hook' (that lovely curving motion on the last few feet of the lane), uretane and reactive urethane balls hook a lot more easily but again, you need to know what you are doing to make the most of those bowling balls.

If you do decide on a bowling ball it's useful to know that you can add what's called 'fingertip plugs' to the ball. These are rubber plugs that mean that you can sink your thumb fully into the ball but your middle and ring fingers only go into the ball as far as the first knuckle. The purpose of this is to help you generate faster revolutions on the ball when you release it, and hopefully generate more hook.

Drilling is complicated and really depends on your bowling style. Each manufacturer provides a number of different drilling patters for each ball they produce and that's based on loads of factors. Each ball does have a 'generic' drilling pattern that you can use too. A good professional ball driller can advise you on the absolute best pattern for you once they've seen you bowl.

If you are buying from the UK, I recommend Petes Pro Shop in Peterborough or Anglian Pro Shop that operates from Norwich. However, talk to some of the Pro Shop operators in Ireland first, they might be able to source what you want without the huge Post and Packaging. Do you know what weight ball you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Im only the casual player and im not looking for anything that good. I would just like a ball that doesnt have all the chips on them when i go to leisureplex. I will never get a score over 200, i get over 100 most of the time now so i would just like something rounder than the plex balls!:D Where are the pro shops in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would just like a ball that doesnt have all the chips on them when i go to leisureplex.

Unfortunately one of the realities of bowling with your own ball is that at some stage, it's going to get scratched or even chipped by the ball return. If the gash in the ball is big enough, make sure you make the reception staff aware of it straight away. They may offer to get it repaired for you.

If you are getting over 100 most times and you bowl frequently enough then it's worth even having 2 lessons, honestly it will improve your scores dramatically :) Just a thought :) Also, generally speaking, league bowling is cheaper than hiring a lane for yourself every week. That's why I started league bowling years ago :D
    Where are the pro shops in ireland?
    I'm not sure there are any walk-in shops available in any of the bowling centres anymore but most ill put you in touch with someone who sells bowling equipment. Superdome (XLBowl) in Palmerstown can put you in touch with someone, as can Stillorgan (gs300 might know more about this) and I hear Del Delaney at ALSAA bowl mentioned quite a lot. Try Tallaght either.

This is probably out of date but it's a start.

So do you want a ball that is easy to hook?
    If you just want a straightforward bowling ball that has no frills then the Ebonite Maxim ball is the one you want. It won't set your scores on fire but it's a great, if simple, polyester ball.

If you want something a little better then there's lots of choice and we can help with that :)

Advertisement