Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy moved out without paying rent or bills

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I rent a room in a 5-bedroom house in North Dublin A guy moved in 5 months ago and he moved out 2 weeks ago. I told him some bills were due but he said he didn't have any money but would come back to pay them. The bills have now arrived, 2 months worth of Gas, ESB and waste charges. I've sent him texts and rang him but there's no reply. The landlord tells me he owes a few weeks rent too. He's not going to pay! OK I know there's probably nothing I can do, so the rest of us can put this down to experience and take the hit (though I really hate getting ripped-off), but I'd hate for someone else to get ripped off by this guy as well. Anyone know if there's somewhere I can post a warning about this guy? I remember when he moved in it was the middle of the night (he said he worked as a security guard) but now I'm thinking he was doing a legger from the last place he rented too.
    Thanks...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Do you have no say about who moves in? I'd want to be able to approve the people I'm going to live with. If not I'd move out. I know that you could meet the person and they could seem nice and turn out to be a w@nker, but it would be better then stranger slipping in under darkness while you sleep! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Can you not use the deposit he paid to pay the bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gurgeh

We do have a say about who moves in - but he was the only person who wanted to move in and he seemed ok at the time. Shortly after he moved in he quit his job as a security guard - he didn't like the people he was working with. Then he couldn't get another job for months and kept telling us "I have no money". He used up his rent deposit with the landlord, who told him to move out, but never actually kicked him out. We get our bills at the end of every 2 months (I post them in the kitchen so everyone can see them) and he must have worked that out and planned his leaving-time accordingly. Before he moved out I told him the bills were due to arrive and he said he had no money but he would pay. Liar. I've texted him and rung him several times now that the bills have arrived but he's ignoring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its the landlords problem. He should have taken the bills from his deposit but instead he let him run it down. Let the landlord know you are not paying his portion (25%) of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Yup its the landlords problem,
    I would urge all in the house left to deduct the percentage he owes from the bill and
    get the landlord to foot it as it is not your responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

kmick wrote: »
    Its the landlords problem. He should have taken the bills from his deposit but instead he let him run it down. Let the landlord know you are not paying his portion (25%) of the bill.

+1

I've already told the landlord that, and the other housemates are all with me. But he's saying that this guy owes him rent too, and if we can track him down then the guy can pay us the bill-money first, and the rent second. The bills are massive by the way, almost €500 for Gas (heating) and €470 for ESB. It's a crappy old house, no insulation, single-glazing. All the heating just goes straight out into the cold, and it's been a very cold winter. We've been trying to go easy on the heating but it hasn't been that easy. Also I know that some of my housemates run electric heaters in their rooms. Hard to blame them but it doesn't help with the bills. Also this guy who moved out used to take 40min showers or longer, I'm not joking, he had an electric shower in his room. Anyway it's the landlords fault our bills are so high because he's made no useful improvements to the house in years. But I don't think I'll be able to force him to pay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Also this guy who moved out used to take 40min showers or longer

you didnt break down the bathroom door by chance? :eek:

:-) Good God no! His bedroom + ensuite was off the kitchen so anytime you're in the kitchen you can hear the water in the shower. So I'd go in the kitchen to get a cup of tea, then go back to my room where it's warm, then come back 1/2hr later with my empty cup, shower still running goodo.

Text the guy saying that you are going to post a letter to his place of work detailing what he has done. He should pay up then. Of course if he hasn't a job not an option.

• Advertisement

Not an option, dunno where he works. He had told me he worked in the kitchen in a Dunnes Stores cafe but I went there and checked and they'd never heard of him. I think his new address is somewhere local because when I caught him sneakily moving out (at 1 in the morning) he was dragging 3 bags behind him and he just walked off down the street, no taxi, no friend with a car, nothing. (Now I think I should have followed him to find out his new address....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

What name is listed on the bills? If it is yours, it is your problem, if the landlords, his problem. It is always the responsibility of the person named on the bill, and if you do not pay that %, it could impact your credit rating too (assuming your name is on the bill).

My name is on the phone bill. A tenant who moved out years ago still has her name on the bin bill. ESB and Gas are in the landlords name (they're the BIG bills). Good point - maybe I have an angle there?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

It really depends on your landlord. The same thing happened with us a few years back. Our house mate absconded with paying any bills, a few months rent and to top it off the p***K stole the money from the kitty that we used to pay bills. Our landlord paid what was this waster owed on all the bills but we were at the loss of what was in the kitty.:mad:
    I'd still strangle the c**t if I found him!!

I'll definitely argue the point with him. I've discussed it with the other housemates and they're emphatic he should pay. We've even talked about all of us moving out together and then let the landlord get a whole bunch of new people (who can rip him off all over again for all we care).
    I'm mad as hell about this guy who moved out. I've been daydreaming about seeing him by chance on the street and breaking his stupid nose with my fist. I'm not a violent person by any means but getting ripped off like this really p*sses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

simple as this, you text him from an unknown number, saying something along the lines of 'hi dave, so and so (ex boss) gave me your num, would you be interested in doing a few hours security (or whatever ) in blah blah blah, cash in hand. if he texts back arrange to meet him somewhere public , if he rings get someone else to talk to him. if he is out of work and has no money he may not pass up the chance of a few quid. if his names dave, call him dean or something like that so he doesn't suspect familiarity. We had the same issue a few years back regarding work that was never paid for and this is what we did..........he walked in to the bar and we're all sitting there............classic ! you may not get the mon but you will get your chance to have your say.

Now that's an idea that just might work! I'm getting resigned to the fact that the money is gone but there would be some satisfaction to be got from in putting the guy in a very uncomfortable situation. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Do you have a lease?

There's normally something in there saying 'Deposit may not be used in lieu of final month's rent'.

Point out to the landlord that the rule is also there for the landlord, not just the tenant.

No lease. Our landlord works on the old "honour" system. Actually he's a very nice guy really, I've lived there for years now and the rent has never changed, and he leaves us alone most of the time. That's probably why I've put up with the cold house and leaky roof for so long. But I've kind of had enough now what with Gas and ESB prices going sky-high and this extremely cold winter, and now this hassle on top. Good point though. I'll suggest him to make all new tenants sign a lease. And give him a deposit for bills upfront too.... There was another girl who lived there 2 years ago and she left without paying a months rent, but she had the decency to leave a note for me and €60 for unpaid bills (maybe I thought everyone was that decent! you live and learn...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Come up with some scheme whereby he signs up to google latitude.

• Advertisement

Forcibly insert a GPS enabled device where the sun don't shine :-) I'd love to see the expression on his face while that was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

tell the landlord its his problem and if he doesnt like it , all of you move out , with it being very hard to rent now , he'll rather keep you than lose alot of cash , also if the house is that bad on bills and is crappy as you said , why bleeding stay there ???????

Yes, moving out is definitely on the cards...

Thanks everyone for your time and ideas, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

No lease. Our landlord works on the old "honour" system. Actually he's a very nice guy really, I've lived there for years now and the rent has never changed, and he leaves us alone most of the time. That's probably why I've put up with the cold house and leaky roof for so long. But I've kind of had enough now what with Gas and ESB prices going sky-high and this extremely cold winter, and now this hassle on top. Good point though. I'll suggest him to make all new tenants sign a lease. And give him a deposit for bills upfront too.... There was another girl who lived there 2 years ago and she left without paying a months rent, but she had the decency to leave a note for me and €60 for unpaid bills (maybe I thought everyone was that decent! you live and learn...)

If there is no lease, its the landlords problem for the rent and the bills that are in his name.

The bills that are in your name and the other persons name are your responsibility.

He should be glad to have tenants that are there as long as you and are reliable.

I moved out of Dublin because the landlord was taking the piss out of us. He had no interest in us except that we pay the rent each month, irrespective of how much was going wrong with the house, heat etc.

If I were you I would insist on a lease, not collectively but individually so that you are only responsible for the rent of your own room. That way, you wont get caught again for someone elses tricks. Ring up or contact the prtb for advice and they will definitely help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the landlord is renting out rooms (as opposed to the whole house) and has the bills in his own names, then it is absolutely his problem.

He can chase the the former tenant through the PRTB - if he finds him.

Advertisement