Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:03pm

Is it possible to get the UK version in Ireland,the Irish one is rubbish,very female oriented and it doesnt have the great dvds that the UK version has?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The British version is also female orientated and virulently anti-Irish. Doubt you can get the UK version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. I'd say the people behind the Irish Mail would try their best to ensure the British edition is unavailable here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get the UK version in Ireland,the Irish one is rubbish,very female oriented and it doesnt have the great dvds that the UK version has?
    You can get a good portion of the UK version on line. It is also very anti Labour Government anti EU and anti Police state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

You can get a good portion of the UK version on line. It is also very anti Labour Government anti EU and anti Police state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I dont care about their agenda,they give out great DVDs!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try subscribing to them in the UK or if you know anyone over there, will cost you postage. The paper itsel;f is dirt cheap, can't be more than 50P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is this the only way that the Daily Mail has readers? Also I may be wrong but is the Irish Daily Mail only a week behind the English version in terms of free offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont buy the paper, apart from the very very odd sunday if nothing elso left, but often see the DVDs in my local centra at the till during the week if they are running a promo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wouldn't care if the Daily Mail gave out new films with their papers, I'd never bring myself to support the rag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

The Daily Mail is about as right-wing a newspaper as you're going to get nowadays. For that reason, I like it. The other papers on the whole pretend right-wing perspectives don't exist.

There would be considerably less plurality of political opinion in the Irish print media without it.

I guess the same goes for the UK too, now that I say it.

,8,1 wrote: »
    The Daily Mail is about as right-wing a newspaper as you're going to get nowadays. For that reason, I like it. The other papers on the whole pretend right-wing perspectives don't exist.

There would be considerably less plurality in the political opinion of Irish print media without it.

I guess the same goes for the UK too, now that I say it.

Emmm the Sunday Indo pretty Right Wing IMO.

• Advertisement

Emmm the Sunday Indo pretty Right Wing IMO.

Is it really though? Seeing as it follows on from the liberal, centrist Irish Independent francise, I don't see how it can be that right-wing.

What are your criteria for a right-wing newspaper, and how does the SI match them.

Some people have very loose definitions. Publications accused of being "right-wing" are usually better described as centrist.

The cornerstone of a rightist bias, to me, is advocacy of social conservatism. Just as the cornerstone of leftism is essentially social liberalism.

Also a preference for national as opposed to foreign or international rule is a strong component of rightism. I don't see how the SI matches this either.

Is it really though? Seeing as it follows on from the liberal, centrist Irish Independent francise, I don't see how it can be that right-wing.

What are your criteria for a right-wing newspaper, and how does the SI match them.

Some people have very loose definitions. Publications accused of being "right-wing" are usually better described as centrist.

The cornerstone of a rightist bias, to me, is advocacy of social conservatism. Just as the cornerstone of leftism is essentially social liberalism.

Also a preference for national as opposed to foreign or international rule is a strong component of rightism. I don't see how the SI matches this either.

It depends really I have certain social conservative views and certain social liberial views, perhaps making me centeristic.

As for the "nation" running itself, a pack of west-brits in the Daily Mail doesn't really speak to me.

Ironically most far Right wing countries have tried to take over smaller countries, while most left wing countries are possibly more socially conservative then most right wing ones.

As for the "nation" running itself, a pack of west-brits in the Daily Mail doesn't really speak to me.

You raise a good point. Though it does have a good team of Irish reporters.

The Sunday Times is also a British newspaper - a Murdochian British newspaper at that. People don't accuse it of being a (West) Brit rag though, probably because it is socially liberal.
    while most left wing countries are possibly more socially conservative then most right wing ones

This isn't true, though they are less inclined to be worried about their borders and sovereignty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

A newspaper adopts the political leaning they believe will sell the most papers.

You raise a good point. Though it does have a good team of Irish reporters.

The Sunday Times is also a British newspaper - a Murdochian British newspaper at that. People don't accuse it of being a (West) Brit rag though, probably because it is socially liberal.

This isn't true, though they are less inclined to be worried about their borders and sovereignty.

Many of their Irish reporters are west-brits sorry, those in the editing team are just British :)

I am of course talking about the far left and far right i.e. Nazi Germany, British Empirialism, The Peoples republic of China and the USSR.

Think about it (bar Nazi Germany which did all of the above) China and Russia both suppress freedom of speech. How ever if you are talking about free health care and the welfare state then yes I suppose the oppression of free speech is a small price to pay for social liberalism :confused: of course I don't think china is really all that social liberal. It is just a thought and on both systems.

As I say their are certain things from both the right and left that can work side by side together. The right forgets to think that a health work force will provide good workers (i.e. a system of free health care is good) while the left for gets that the individual like to earn money and be as wealth as possible and as successful as possible both of which leads to a good system of professional and well resourced health care systems. Both pay of one another.

But then this is totally of the topic of newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annabela

i am conducting a research project. it is titled " how do news gatekeepers restrict the flow of information..." one of my case studies is the daily mail, if you read this newspaper it would be useful, to know why this particular newspaper and if so is it's political viewpoint important. and if you do not read another paper, do you think it is possible that what you read could be biased and restricted?
    thanks.

annabela wrote: »
    i am conducting a research project. it is titled " how do news gatekeepers restrict the flow of information..." one of my case studies is the daily mail, if you read this newspaper it would be useful, to know why this particular newspaper and if so is it's political viewpoint important. and if you do not read another paper, do you think it is possible that what you read could be biased and restricted?
    thanks.

Interesting blog from Graham Linehan

Advertisement