Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot belly

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a nice little pot bellied stove in that salvage place on the naas rd just past clondalkin. €200.Just have to source some flexi alu piping for the flu and I'm roasting. Been promising myself some heat in the shed for years.
    Incidentaly,mac salvage on the SCR are charging €300 for the exact same model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

dubtom wrote: »
    Just picked up a nice little pot bellied stove in that salvage place on the naas rd just past clondalkin. €200.Just have to source some flexi alu piping for the flu and I'm roasting. Been promising myself some heat in the shed for years.
    Incidentaly,mac salvage on the SCR are charging €300 for the exact same model.

Nice! I was on the lookout for a pot belly myself a number of months back but couldnt come across one, tried as many traveller yards as I could think of and they didnt have any :rolleyes:, but when they did have them they were looking for about €250! :eek:.

I just happened to come across a nice stove through a friend of my dads, like you it cost me €200. But I can honesty say its money WELL spent!! Once you have a stove in the shop there'll be no getting you out of it! :P:P Electric heaters and such are grand, but you cant beat the lovely atmosphere an old stove gives, and that crackling sound of the wood burning ;). Not to mention it'll be free heat if you have lots of off cuts to burn! Just make sure and get the chimney set up properly, I didnt put mine high enough so there's not a great draw on it, but, I'll be moving the stove to the other side of the shop in the coming month or so, so I'll rectify the problem then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I assume a couple of feet above,in my case the gutter,would be enough for adequate draw croppy boy?

There is some info about chimney heights near the end of the info sheet below:

http://www.woodstove.com/guidepdfs/Cures%20For%20Backpuffing.pdf

What type of chimney are you using? Building a block chimney and flue or just using a pipe? The reason I ask is because I made the mistake of just using a single wall pipe for the chimney and the flipping yolk back puffs like no ones business, you'd have to vacate the shed after you open the stove doors for any lenght. Its not until the stove really gets going and the chimney can heat up that it doesnt smoke as much. You can also get the double wall pipes for outside, but they're expensive I believe.

But basically, as high as you can get it, the higher the better once its held firmly.

Well I had been debating this with a mate. He insisted that a roll of the bendy alu pipe would do, but thats been laughed off by anyone in the know. I met many of them today in my quest to get a bit of flu. My idea was to run a flue up from the stove about 2 foot,then join the bendy stuff and run it through the wall and connect with another piece of flue. Unfortunatly I've been quoted over €50 a meter for the 'proper' flue (pipe) and nobody in the stove/heating buisness will sell some normal pipe that they use to vent gas boilers ect, claiming it's not suitable, I might burn myself. Funnily enough I've just had a look on the hotspot and they sell a meter of galvinised for a tenner,with no claims that I might burn my hand if I touch it. I might just invest a few meters. Thanks for the linky btw, I didn't realise I might encounter such stuff as backpuffing ect,good to know:)

On second thoughts I won't bother, the hotspots shipping charges are outrageous

• Advertisement

Well I had been debating this with a mate. He insisted that a roll of the bendy alu pipe would do, but thats been laughed off by anyone in the know. I met many of them today in my quest to get a bit of flu. My idea was to run a flue up from the stove about 2 foot,then join the bendy stuff and run it through the wall and connect with another piece of flue. Unfortunatly I've been quoted over €50 a meter for the 'proper' flue (pipe) and nobody in the stove/heating buisness will sell some normal pipe that they use to vent gas boilers ect, claiming it's not suitable, I might burn myself. Funnily enough I've just had a look on the hotspot and they sell a meter of galvinised for a tenner,with no claims that I might burn my hand if I touch it. I might just invest a few meters. Thanks for the linky btw, I didn't realise I might encounter such stuff as backpuffing ect,good to know:)

Had the same problem myself! :rolleyes: Every hardwares you go to it was 'oh you cant do this, or do that' etc etc, bloody health and safety! :rolleyes::p.

My problem was that I had the stove and two section of 5" cast iron pipes coming off the top of the stove and an angle piece for the top of these two, that gave me the height and got me as far as the wall, it was the external chimney that I needed.

The guy I bought the stove off gave me a lenght of double wall, insulated stove flue, for outdoors, but it was a big thick, heavy yolk about 6' long!! But, the inner pipe was 5" diamter......just what I needed ;). So, I go get me angle grinder, chop the outer skin off the pipe and use the inner one! The damage had been done! :o Aparently external flues sort of need to be insulated, a simple, single wall pipe doesnt really do the job as it cools down too quick and makes starting a fire harder and encourages back puffing (ie the chimney needs to be able to heat up quickly to get a good air flow and encourage the smoke to go up). Should gave left the pipe as it was and I was laughing, and to add to that lenght of that pipe are bloody expensive!!! :( Oh well, lesson learned.

Your best bet would be to visit some salvage yards, scrap metal dealers, maybe even some traveller yards, you might pick up a heavier section of mild steel piping or such that'd be a little heavier than that thin galvanised stuff, if its the same galvanised piping that used for oil burners etc then its not the stuff for the job, it'll burn out pretty quick.

The back puffing in a pain in the ass! Seriously, if at all possible get the chimney done right the first time and you'll save yourself a lot of bother. When I'm lighting up the stove I have to vacate the shed for a while and leave the door open to let the smoke out! I'll try get the problem sorted when I move the stove, she only has a sort of make shift chimney for the time being, even comprising of a section of asbestos flue pipe (hope H&S arent reading!! :pac:).

stove.jpg
    Thats my baby, everyone that sees it remarks about how its almost too good to be in a shed! :p I might paint her when I move it, 'twill look well then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Is that place signposted, how would I recognise it?
    I was down in mac's and he quoted 300 for a pot belly bargained him down a bit but I'd like to see any in that salvage yard before he gets my money.

Cheers

gizajob wrote: »
    Is that place signposted, how would I recognise it?
    I was down in mac's and he quoted 300 for a pot belly bargained him down a bit but I'd like to see any in that salvage yard before he gets my money.

Cheers
    Yea it's kingswood salvage I think. The easiest directions I can give you is to take that new road that intersects the nanger road and leads on to the naas road,instead of turning left at the roundabout for dublin,take the 3rd exit for kingswood (which is just before citywest) and he's on your right.He has loads up there,and he gives you a new one in a box.

I came across some of that cast iron downpipe yesterday in a scrap yard but dismissed it. I may just go up through the roof with it,as opposed to trying to find angles and going through the wall. How would encasing the outside piece in some 6'' galvanised with rockwool do for insulation croppyboy.
    That is a fine stove btw.

I came across some of that cast iron downpipe yesterday in a scrap yard but dismissed it. I may just go up through the roof with it,as opposed to trying to find angles and going through the wall. How would encasing the outside piece in some 6'' galvanised with rockwool do for insulation croppyboy.
    That is a fine stove btw.

Going straight up would be great alright, save 'some' hassle, the only issue then is adequately water securing it, in my case I had the felt on the roof (inside) to consider and then going through a galvanised roof. I'd imagine that encasing the pipe would work alight! Cant see why it wouldnt, thats all the double wall pipe I got was made up of, a 5" inner pipe and I think the outer was about 7" or so, then the rockwool in the middle and the insulated cavity sealed at each end.

Might be an idea for myself! Can you purchase rockwool in rolls? I never looked tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Thanks for the directions and the info dubtom, appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

I want a stove in the workshop but I'm not allowed :(

Might be an idea for myself! Can you purchase rockwool in rolls? I never looked tbh.
    Yes,most builder providers should stock it.Actually the brother in law was looking for me today. There is a scrap yard in bluebell who have a stove working with just a straight pipe up through the roof with no problems,insulation,nothing. The guy recommended using 5'' pipe to allow for the metal in the stove to expand as opposed to ramming the 4'' into it as I had intended:eek:My roof is that double clad metal stuff,shouldn't be a problem putting a hole in it but I do worry about getting it flashed properly after. My shed is a mess,but it doesn't leak or suffer from condensation,dry as a bone,I'd hate that to change.

ennisa wrote: »

I'm intruiged,who won't allow you,surely not the wife.

(your right says you,her name isn't surely):p

If it is the wife then tell her that if you get a stove that you'll spend more time in the shed and thus wont be under her feet! :p or maybe thats the problem, she doesnt want you dissapearing into the shed all day :p.

Cheers for the info dubtom, I'll have to have a scout about a few of the local hardwares shortly and see if I can source any rockwool. I'm in the process of extending my shop (just got a new floor poured today ;)) so I was toying with the idea of building a block chinmey, but, I'll see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

it is the wife, she doesn't like me to play with fire. I mean you burn down one garden shed and suddenly your a pyromaniac! It wasn't even my blow torch that I was messing with and I still have no idea how her mother got in there!

:D

LOL, my wife claims I go overboard with everything. She showed her usual lack of interest when I told her I got the stove :rolleyes:I mean for christ sake,how could you not get excited,then says when I get something I always have to get the accessories, in this case a flue :eek: could I not just wear a coat.

On the subject of Flue's I picked a 10' one at a salvage yard I didn't even know existed. It's at 328 SCR, just before the old john player building. €30. Weights some weight though,I hope the stove can take it. They have a lot of stuff woodwise for anyone looking for mantles or whatever,huge selection. Seems like a nice fella,more than likely open to haggling (I didn't bother,just relieved to get a flue for under €200) well worth a look even if only browsing,never know what you'd pick up.I'll post a pic of the stove when I get it lit,fingers crossed.

it is the wife, she doesn't like me to play with fire. I mean you burn down one garden shed and suddenly your a pyromaniac! It wasn't even my blow torch that I was messing with and I still have no idea how her mother got in there!

:D

That was pretty funny ennia!! lol

LOL, my wife claims I go overboard with everything. She showed her usual lack of interest when I told her I got the stove :rolleyes:I mean for christ sake,how could you not get excited,then says when I get something I always have to get the accessories, in this case a flue :eek: could I not just wear a coat.

On the subject of Flue's I picked a 10' one at a salvage yard I didn't even know existed. It's at 328 SCR, just before the old john player building. €30. Weights some weight though,I hope the stove can take it. They have a lot of stuff woodwise for anyone looking for mantles or whatever,huge selection. Seems like a nice fella,more than likely open to haggling (I didn't bother,just relieved to get a flue for under €200) well worth a look even if only browsing,never know what you'd pick up.I'll post a pic of the stove when I get it lit,fingers crossed.

A 10" pipe is pretty severe dubtom! :p, but, in saying that it shouldnt do any harm either once you can get it to fit to the stove. My stove needed some form of special connection plate which unfortunately I didnt have, nor could I get, so I cut a plate off an oil boiler which had a fange on it, welded this to the underside of the top of the stove and that allowed the 5 pipe to literaly drop snugly into it.

The bonus about having the bigger pipe though is it'll give off more heat! I had a fairly heavy gauge 6" pipe that I got with the stove, but I didnt use it as it was far too heavy, but, it would have given off great heat if used.

Speaking of wood, a guy a couple of doors down from me works at the local timber suppliers. He arried home yesterday in the truck with a bloody ton of 'scraps', they were packed in a bail that was approx 6ft high and 3ft wide and had lenght of timber about 12 or 13ft! LOTS of lenghts of oak, walnut, teak and pine!! The best of timber, he had brought it home to chop it up and burn it in his house stove!! Unfortunately a lot of the good lenghts were banana boards (twisted) but I got me some nice lenghts of various sizes of plained oak, some 3x2", 2x1" etc that I'm sure will come in handy for something :D (I of course got the guys blessing before I stared rooting through, and taking some of the guys 'firewood' :P)

10 foot is pretty sever alright coppyboy, 6ft inside and the balance on top, stuck it on today,fantastic draw,tested with a bit of newspaper at the stove and then found it on the roof,didn't even have time to burn completly.Luckily the pipe was 5 inches at the neck and then tapered to four,fitted perfectly. My guess is that it was a downpipe from a guttering systen from a large old building. Couldn't believe the heat from the stove,I'll be doing my woodwork in my underpants. Had 30 minutes of a smokey smelly shed while whatever coating on the stove burnt off, what was a black stove is now an off white in spots. In hindsite and looking at your picture,I'd have built a block surround like you have. I have a shelving unit for bits and bobs beside the stove that took a roasting,had to put a metal side on it to protect the contents (one of which was a litre of turps,glad I spotted that in time) but overall well chuffed with it,wish I'd have got it years ago. On the subject of wood,it will probably take me a year to burn the excess of crap bit's I've hoarded over the years.A lot of cheap pine and deal but quite a bit of hardwood too that I rekoned i'd use someday,even if it was just an inch long:rolleyes: To my mind there's a difference in throwing good wood on the fire in the house and burning it in my shed, I'm a bit weird like that:D

Couldn't believe the heat from the stove,I'll be doing my woodwork in my underpants.

Jesus man, spare us the details! :P:P

Its some difference isnt it?! And its amazing just how much life they bring to the workshop, its suddenly a place that you want to spend MORE time in, hell, when theres nothing on tv here or I'm bored I like tojust go and sit by the stove and listen to the radio.....in the dark! lol :pac:

I was the same as yerself, had a heap of wood stored from over the years, but, you'd be surprisedhow fast you'd go through it! I used to be fecker for keeping offcuts and such, always thinking 'I might use that for something someday!! Now I have little or no offcuts and when I go to look for a certain size bit I dont have it because the stove ate it!! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have to knock my little wall around the stove :( as the section of wall behind the stove is going to be knocked, gonna try rebuild it though, its not of any importance, but it looks nice and also prevents items from being left up against/falling against the stove.

Looking forward to seeing a pic! :)

Advertisement