Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand, Hand Tools

Options
  • 09-02-2009 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering does anyone know where i could get my hands on some old/vintage/antique saws, planes, hammers and the like in or around the cork area.
    I intend to use them but enjoy the whole refurbishing process too.
    Any input would be great.

Cheers
    Stew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Flea markets, though you sometimes end up with boxes of rust. I've found ebay to be the best ,bought loads of old tools from UK/USA.

This guy has some great info on old tools, he sells too and sends out a newsletter early each month with a list of what he has for sale.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

Imagine finding an old Norris Jack Plane , some of those babies go for 5K+ !

Good hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathaloc

ebay is your boy. I'm bidding on a lovely set of antique carving tools at the moment. They look like they will cost about £20 or so with £7.50 postage to Ballincollig.

There are loads of great tools on there, definately worth a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

somebody was telling me that there is a sunday market in Kilkenny that sometimes has some. Not sure how close that is to you or if it is worth your while, I have never been too it so I can't vouch for how good it is. They have a site

http://kilkennycarboot.homestead.com/PhotoGallery.html

There is also some antique fairs that go around dublin so I presume they are around Cork too. I have bought some old handsaws and a couple of old wooden planes from them too and they cleaned up good. There are a lot of sites on line with what to look for when buying old tools to restore i'd suggest having a peruse of as many of them as possible to make sure you end up with something that is worth buying and not just ending up with a pretty doorstop :D

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ennisa wrote: »
    somebody was telling me that there is a sunday market in Kilkenny that sometimes has some. Not sure how close that is to you or if it is worth your while, I have never been too it so I can't vouch for how good it is. They have a site

http://kilkennycarboot.homestead.com/PhotoGallery.html

Man, I havent been to that markt in yearssss, there was a time that I'd go every second Sunday or so in search of some militaria bargains, my star buy being a pair of WW2 German Carl Zeiss binos with case in pristine condition for only £20!!! :D That one still makes me giddy.

Anyway, yeah I must take a trip to this place again, a lot of it seems to be indoor now, a few year back the most of it was outdoor and there was a fair few stalls selling tools and such, mostly cheap powertools, I do remember seeing old woodworking tools and such.

Advertisement