Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The increased price of 7Up

Options
  • 08-02-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I cannot believe that tesco have increased the price of a 2lt bottle of 7up to €2.19. It's less than 2 months ago that they increased the price from €1.99 to €2.09 and today i see they have increased the price again to €2.19. 20 cent in such a short space of time. Methinks there is a bit of a rip off here. It'scharged at £1.45 in the UK which equates to approx €1.66.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

7-Up 7-UP

It fills me up!

7-UP

It's called inflation based on a countries current economic climate. I don't think it's that bad a price rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just buy it when it is on offer, or go travel to another country to buy it cheaper if you think it is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

Good on ya - pay away, i won't be. If it's supposed to be based on a countries current economic climate then down it should be going here - not up.!

breaux wrote: »
    Good on ya - pay away, i won't be. If it's supposed to be based on a countries current economic climate then down it should be going here - not up.!

Yep, I'm sitting here with a nice cool glass of 7-up. I paid €2.19 for it and I must say I wasn't disappointed at all. A sound investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

I don't know whose the bigger eejit - me for posting this in the first place or you with you're not so clever responses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Supervalu buy 6 cans, get 6 free :) happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

davton wrote: »
    Supervalu buy 6 cans, get 6 free :) happy days

big bottles > cans

I don't know whose the bigger eejit - me for posting this in the first place or you with you're not so clever responses.

The answer is you. 20 cent increase in 7-up and you rush to the internet to complain.

I can imagine somebody in America saying: "Don't go to Ireland. I hear 7-UP is awfully expensive. 20 cents more then the UK. Go there instead."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The answer is you. 20 cent increase in 7-up and you rush to the internet to complain.

I can imagine somebody in America saying: "Don't go to Ireland. I hear 7-UP is awfully expensive. 20 cents more then the UK. Go there instead."

Its because of that kind of attitude that we are constantly ripped off in Ireland.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its because of that kind of attitude that we are constantly ripped off in Ireland.

When are you taking up arms Che? I need to notify the boss to organise time off for the rebellion.

What do you propose? We take over a Tesco shop and re-enact the 1916 rebellion, but instead of demanding a 32 county Republic we ask them to reduce the price of 7-Up by twenty cents?

Get over yourself. It's only 7-UP. Stuff is piss anyway. Get that Country Spring lemonade. A euro for 8 litres if you're so concerned about the price of the things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

BostonB wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

7/8% INCREASE, if everything went up 7/8% would be saying get over it and blah de blah. would ya fook. op was rite to highlite this, its not 20c its 7/8% and i think thats a massive mark up.
    so they bring 4 items down buy 1.5-2% and increase 1/2r3 by 7/8% where is the savings. there is none its just manipulating the market in order to keep screwing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Tesco's is really taking the piss these days, keep on jacking up their prices and hoping that no-one notices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Feed the troll and he will score...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Maybe its going up cos its called 7up :D

ronaneire wrote: »
    Maybe its going up cos its called 7up :D

Thats an excellent point! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Lidl have a try of 24 cans of 7up for a tenner and a 3 pack of Sprite 2 litre for 2.99, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Tesco's is really taking the piss these days, keep on jacking up their prices and hoping that no-one notices

Theses a few tesco bashers around this forum, isnt there? Do you actually think Tesco sat down and said we're selling so much 7up, lets jack the price up?

What makes you think its the retailer who's increasing their margin?

Theres more than 1 player in the supply of 7up. Manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler, retailer. I see a lot of tesco basing around these forums. Based on the distribution model, its just as likey the price rise has been passed on.

and as for price increases, have you noticed the price decreases? The posters for the price decreases are big enough!!! Finally tesco at least carry own brand and competing ranges, too (eg TK etc). Lots of the smaller convienience stores cant/dont so you cant avoid such price increases.

If c&c (or whoever distributes 7up nationally) notice a large drop in market share for 7up, theres a good chance they will reconsider and price increases. so vote with your wallet, and buy something else.

I have no affiliation with Tesco, but IMO if there weren't around the state of irish supermarkets would be far worse.

and as for price increases, have you noticed the price decreases?

No, because I don't shop there any more, I do all my shopping up the north now. I find that even if its just a sliced pan or two and a pint of milk the savings justify the time I spend travelling up north to the likes of Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

Theses a few tesco bashers around this forum, isnt there? Do you actually think Tesco sat down and said we're selling so much 7up, lets jack the price up?

What makes you think its the retailer who's increasing their margin?

Theres more than 1 player in the supply of 7up. Manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler, retailer. I see a lot of tesco basing around these forums. Based on the distribution model, its just as likey the price rise has been passed on.

and as for price increases, have you noticed the price decreases? The posters for the price decreases are big enough!!! Finally tesco at least carry own brand and competing ranges, too (eg TK etc). Lots of the smaller convienience stores cant/dont so you cant avoid such price increases.

If c&c (or whoever distributes 7up nationally) notice a large drop in market share for 7up, theres a good chance they will reconsider and price increases. so vote with your wallet, and buy something else.

I have no affiliation with Tesco, but IMO if there weren't around the state of irish supermarkets would be far worse.

God almighty - somebody highlights one product that someone buys on a regular basis - sees that product increased in price over a short period of time - highlights it on a forum for Rip Off Ireland and now it's a conspiracy against Tesco. The truth of the matter is that Tesco continue to shout from the rooftops that they are the low cost supermarket and offer lower prices but the real truth is is that they make their money back on items such as 7UP which they increase in price by 7 - 8% to counter any price reductions alsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When are you taking up arms Che? I need to notify the boss to organise time off for the rebellion.

What do you propose? We take over a Tesco shop and re-enact the 1916 rebellion, but instead of demanding a 32 county Republic we ask them to reduce the price of 7-Up by twenty cents?

Get over yourself. It's only 7-UP. Stuff is piss anyway. Get that Country Spring lemonade. A euro for 8 litres if you're so concerned about the price of the things.

With your attitude there'd be zero chance of a rebellion.

The point is the consumer needs to be informed about price increases, which is what this thread is about. Where I work theres a few shops together. A small bottle of 7up light ot whatever its called i(550ml I think) is €1.90 in one shop and €2.25 in the other. If you look at other items you'll find a similar markup on some items. However if you don't play attention to the price of things, or dismiss it as trival, and buy it regardless, its just begging the retailer to keep increasing their prices. Most retailers do this though, some items lower, some items higher to balance it al out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks was in Dunnes they do 2 bottles for 3.95 that works out checper than 1.99. Buy in Bulk the kids will love you

I think its clear through the fiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

deffin wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is that Tesco continue to shout from the rooftops that they are the low cost supermarket and offer lower prices but the real truth is is that they make their money back on items such as 7UP which they increase in price by 7 - 8% to counter any price reductions alsewhere.
    I shop with no list, if you just buy things that are reduced you can get your shopping pretty cheap. Soft drinks often go on sale, club orange is €2.19 at the moment, but 2 for €3. I stock up when on sale. Also beware of mulitpacks, they have club orange in bigger mulitpacks but works out dearer than buying 2.

You just have to be aware of prices and "false offers", i.e. they have signs up saying stuff is a great price, and people believe it. I don't mind that much, I am very aware of prices and make up my own mind about what is good value. If it wasn't for the ignorant suckers paying stupid prices then my shopping basket would cost a lot more.
    The point is the consumer needs to be informed about price increases
    The price is usually on the product shelf, that informs you, then you decide whether it is worth it or not.
    I find that even if its just a sliced pan or two and a pint of milk the savings justify the time I spend travelling up north to the likes of Newry
    You must live very close to the north, and/or do not value your time much. If they gave out milk & bread free it would not be worth my while.

Advertisement