Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth trying to switch health cover when you have diabetes?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

With the VHI renewal coming up, was wondering if any type 1 diabetics have attempted to change their coverage to avail of cheaper offers? Is there anything to be gained or will they just look at you having diabetes and turn you down or load your policy?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think that the only thing you'll loose is that you'll not be covered for diabetes related complications for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I must admit that my hubby and I are too scared to leave ours! Would be interested to hear if anyone else with a LTI has jumped ship.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have switched between VHI->Bupa->VHI previously. Never really paid much attention to the details of the policy changes though as it was always just the different company policies being offered at the time and I think I only changed to the Bupa one at the time as it meant I got taxed slightly less depending on whatever the company was paying for it.

There was never any loading added onto the policies becasue of the diabetes, just the clause about any related claims not being accepted for a year or so which you will always find regarding pre-existing conditions. I cannot remember how long that blackout was though each time though as I still considered myself immortal at the time so wasn't concerned with such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I must admit that my hubby and I are too scared to leave ours! Would be interested to hear if anyone else with a LTI has jumped ship.

Hi guys, I've moved before but made sure to ask were pre-existing conditions covered and was told that once I had been continuously covered by my existing health insurance provider for them, they would.

Just ask as I've found my diabetes is becoming less of an issue recently for all types of insurance etc.

P.S. I moved from BUPA to VHI at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

robinph wrote: »

There was never any loading added onto the policies becasue of the diabetes, just the clause about any related claims not being accepted for a year or so which you will always find regarding pre-existing conditions. I cannot remember how long that blackout was though each time though as I still considered myself immortal at the time so wasn't concerned with such thing.

I was checking around some various insurers and there seems to be a 5 year period with most where you cannot claim for treatment or hospital expenses relating to an existing condition. That's a long time in my book.

Some insurers are very sticky on what constitutes a "pre existing condition" too.I know of one person who was diagnosed with Haemochromotosis a few months after switching insurance. Even though he didn't know he had this condition before switching, VHI still refused to pay for his monthly hospital treatment for 5 years.They justified it on the basis of the condition being a genetic illness which was present but not presenting with symptoms before his diagnoses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

chilly wrote: »
    I was checking around some various insurers and there seems to be a 5 year period with most where you cannot claim for treatment or hospital expenses relating to an existing condition. That's a long time in my book.

Some insurers are very sticky on what constitutes a "pre existing condition" too.I know of one person who was diagnosed with Haemochromotosis a few months after switching insurance. Even though he didn't know he had this condition before switching, VHI still refused to pay for his monthly hospital treatment for 5 years.They justified it on the basis of the condition being a genetic illness which was present but not presenting with symptoms before his diagnoses.

I was wrong!

The 5 year period of exclusion of cover for pre existing illness relates only to people who
    (a) have never had insurance before.
    (b) have had insurance before but let it lapse for more than 13 weeks
    (c) have had insurance elsewhere and not have fully served the 5 year period there.
    If you switch insurance companies, provided you do not fit into any of the above conditions, you will be covered for a pre-existing illness with a new insurer for exactly the same level of cover as you were previously entitled to with your last insurer.You have a waiting period to serve(usually 2yrs if you are under 59) to be entitled to upgrades in cover for a pre existing condition.

My friend who has Haemochromotisis had never had insurance before joinging VHI.They are still extremely prickly when it comes to what constitutes pre existing illness so anyone taking out cover for the first time should read the small print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah I think they make a point on the current BUPA ads of saying that you are covered straight away (if you switch). I just took that to mean for pre-existing conditions.

Advertisement