Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to bring in 3rd Level fees?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

So this has been on the news a lot lately. It looks as though Batt o'Keeffe is likely to present a report to Cabinet in April with a view to bringing them back, he claims it will make education more equal for everyone but last week, we saw 15,000 students on the streets in protest.

Normally, I hate Batt o'Keeffe.

I feel that ideally, third level education should be free for all, but recently in view of the economic situation in the country, my opinion has changed. I now think that some sort of means tested fee system, whereby those whose parents are wealthy enough to be able to afford to, pay fees on a sort of sliding scale. Whereas as those from less well-off families can still have free fees and receive grants as they currently do.

I think it would take a lot of pressure off the public finances, and that maybe some of the money saved could be transferred to other areas of education.

What do other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

well I'm in favour of free fees, I started college in 1996 the first year that they were free. I appreciate having a free third level education. My parents couldn't have afforded to let me go away to college and I lived at home while I was there anyway so it saved thousands of pounds of debt. I didn't get the grant.

However in the long run I do wonder how many of the less well off students in the country have benefitted from free fees. Those that could afford to pay seem to have transferred thier funds to grind school education creating another tier at second level. It would suggest that if families can pay for grind schools voluntarily (€5000+ per year) that there is money there for third level fees.

I also wonder how many students are just dossing about in college, passing the time because it's free. Anecdotally there seems to be poor attendance in some college courses and falling standards as a result (that's not the case with all students or courses) and I wonder would students take it more seriously if it cost them money to be there.

With so many cuts elsewhere reinstating fees will not be popular but it seems to be high on Batt's agenda and I think they'll be back in the not too distant future in some form or other.

Maybe an interim solution would be to make fees compulsory for first year (grant recipients excluded) and then if a student passes first year and makes it into second year they get the rest for free. I know there are disadvantages doing it that way but it would generate some money for the colleges and free up funds to be used for other areas of education (hopefully). It might be an incentive for students to work in first year. It would also mean that student debt would be manageable rather than looking at a sizeable debt after four years (which in a lot of cases would be borne by the parents)

Advertisement