Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zend or otherwise: Recommend me a framework.

Options
  • 08-02-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

So I've starting working with PHP in ernest and want a framework as a base for my web apps. So far I like Zend and its MVC implementation. Anyone got an alternative I should checkout before commiting?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I tried CakePHP and had a look at Zend before settling on CodeIgniter.

Can't really comment too much on the others (though I've heard Zend is very good) but the CodeIgniter user guide is what won me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Codeigniter looks pretty good alright, and it supports php4. Is php5 generally available from hosting companies? Again I'm new to the php world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Main three or four as I see it would be

Symfony
    Cake
    CodeIgniter
    Zend

interesting comparison of the first 3 ..

http://www.sellersrank.com/web-frameworks-benchmarking-results/

(though I'm not sure how accurate it is)

Personally I love the documentation from CodeIgniter ..

Zend always seemed a bit bloated to me or maybe it was just the way I was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think for this project anyway, lightweight and fast is the priority. Plus I like the shorter learning curve of CI - reckon I'll go with that.

Advertisement