Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT 2 PROBLEMS!! PLEASE HELP!!

Options
  • 08-02-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I recently got Nat 2 on my zyxel router. I was delighted with myself as i thought i wud now be able to connect with my frends on the ps3. However i still cudnt connect with my frends even though they are nat 2 aswel. I then tried giving my ps3 a static ip address and fowarding the cod5 ports but dis didnt make a difference. I also tried the pppoe as sum of my frends got Nat1 by doing this but the connection test kept failing. I am completly out of ideas so any suggestions wud b of help thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Man, I hate NAT threads, but I'll throw you a bone since you already got NAT2 working... :)

The traffic is most likely blocked by a firewall somewhere, probably your router. Even though the ports are manually forwarded, they may still be blocked by the firewall. Thats the way on my zytel anyway.

To check:
    1. Log into the router webpage, and go to the log section (in maintenance)
    2. make sure its set to log access control events
    3. Start a game of COD4 and host a match
    4. get your friend to try and connect to you
    5. Watch the log for access denied errors on the COD ports

If this is the issue, simply add a rule to the firewall to allow access to the COD ports for all WAN traffic. Repeat this procedure for any other ports you manually forwarded. I had to open ports 3074 and 3075 to host sucessfully, AND to have the ports forwarded. This makes sense if you think about it:
    • Firewall controls access to the port
    • NAT determines where the traffic ends up once it has accessed the port

Both need to be ok for it all to work. I *think* uPNP does both automatically, if you can get it working (forwards the port and opens firewall for that port) - maybe someone can confirm or deny....

Anyway, thats my guess - your friend may have = to do something similar if he wants to host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lochy6767

Man, I hate NAT threads, but I'll throw you a bone since you already got NAT2 working... :)

The traffic is most likely blocked by a firewall somewhere, probably your router. Even though the ports are manually forwarded, they may still be blocked by the firewall. Thats the way on my zytel anyway.

To check:
    1. Log into the router webpage, and go to the log section (in maintenance)
    2. make sure its set to log access control events
    3. Start a game of COD4 and host a match
    4. get your friend to try and connect to you
    5. Watch the log for access denied errors on the COD ports

If this is the issue, simply add a rule to the firewall to allow access to the COD ports for all WAN traffic. Repeat this procedure for any other ports you manually forwarded. I had to open ports 3074 and 3075 to host sucessfully, AND to have the ports forwarded. This makes sense if you think about it:
    • Firewall controls access to the port
    • NAT determines where the traffic ends up once it has accessed the port

Both need to be ok for it all to work. I *think* uPNP does both automatically, if you can get it working (forwards the port and opens firewall for that port) - maybe someone can confirm or deny....

Anyway, thats my guess - your friend may have = to do something similar if he wants to host.

I cudnt find "log access control events" but I have upnp enabled dats how i got nat2. So the ports cudnt b blocked if upnp is on. Any other ideas plz!!:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

id say your best bet is trying to get nat type 1 to work as since i got that ive had very little problems connecting to people on any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

do a connection test on the ps3, i bet it will say upnp is unavailable

No upnp is available and is working.

• Advertisement

paul150 wrote: »
    id say your best bet is trying to get nat type 1 to work as since i got that ive had very little problems connecting to people on any game.

Do u no how to get nat 1 den. All my frends have gt it by pppoe but my connection fails wen i use pppoe and i no the user name and password are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭087dannyboy

Lochy6767 wrote: »
    Do u no how to get nat 1 den. All my frends have gt it by pppoe but my connection fails wen i use pppoe and i no the user name and password are correct

Not sure if yours is the same but with eircom when you're trying to get Nat1 by PPPOE, after youve entered everything and test connection it fails the first 2 or 3 times but if you keep trying it succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Lochy6767 wrote: »
    So the ports cudnt b blocked if upnp is on.
    I said I wasn't sure about this - it may depend on your router and how it does upnp.

For example, wikipedia says nothing about opening firewalls in upnp NAT standards:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play#NAT_traversal

Just check your router logs, and see if the connection attempts by your friend are being accepted or rejected. Just make sure the logging is at a high level, so it shows that kind of detail.

Not sure if yours is the same but with eircom when you're trying to get Nat1 by PPPOE, after youve entered everything and test connection it fails the first 2 or 3 times but if you keep trying it succeeds.

Ive tried it a gud few times and its hasnt worked. Im with gaelic telecom so it might b different. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

if your with gaelic telecom you can not get nat type 1 as gaelic telecom uses pppoa instead of pppoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

the username and password for pppoe with eircom is broadband1

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I've had similar issues in the past. It was a router that was too slow in opening the ports through uPnP.
    Best thing is to put your PS3 on a static IP and forward the right ports
    You can google it if you want, but most have 1 port missing for COD on PS3.
    What I have is

TCP 80, 443, 3074, 5223
    UDP 2095, 3074, 3075, 3478, 3479, 3658, 5223

Try those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Whats the model of the zyxel router?

Advertisement